Menu

I hate science.

WIS0320

OK, I don't really hate science, but I hate most of the K-2 science options. And trying to pull together a curriculum myself has been the worst part of planning for next year.

Does anyone know of any great books that introduce the concepts of science to little people? Things like Investigation, Hypothesis, Experimenting, Observing and so on?

I'll list what I've got on my shelf and been sorting through if that helps:

Core Knowledge Sequence Science for Grade 1

Harcourt Science Grade 2

Evan Moor Human Body

Evan Moor Geology

Tell Me About The World

Tell Me About The Human Body

The Big Book of Science Things To Make And Do

Berenstein Bears Big Science Treasury

My Nature Journal

All 4 Seasons From Harmony

BFSU

McRuffy Science 1

GEMS Hide a Butterfly

I'm trying to fulfill these basic questions for our first unit study which is just "What is science?":

-How can we learn about the world around us?

-How can we organize events and objects in our world?

-How can we organize data that we have gathered?

-What does studying data allow us to do?

-What tools can we use to assist us in scientific investigation?

Is there any great book/project/lapbook, etc. that hits these main themes of basic science investigation?

After that we will be doing monthly units on Inside the Earth, Oceans and Undersea Life, Human Body, Astronomy, Matter and Measurement, Electricity, Life Cycles, Habitats and Natural Resources.

I want this year to be an introduction into many parts of science and nail down what science is and why we as humans study it. HELP!

From what you describe, I recommend you check out Elemental science's first level, which is called Intro to Science. She has a gentle but thorough and accurate intro to the scientific method, and believe she has lap books too. Personally, lap books make me bang my head on the table:tongue_smilie:, but if Paige did them, I am sure they are wonderful.:D

Into to science: http://elementalscience.com/introsci.html

Edited by Caitilin

Me too. That is all I have to say about that.

ETA: Elemental Science will not have Investigation, Hypothesis, Observation and all that. The WTM argues that these are logic stage skills and Elemental Science was written to follow the WTM guidelines. I'm looking for a science program with this as well, so let me know if you find anything!

Edited by FairProspects

Guest jab300

Here is a link to info about Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. It's pretty structured, lessons are all laid out, it just didn't work out for us.

Well, if you have the money, BJU Science w/DVDs is, in my opinion, the best. Love it.

Is this YE? I am decidedly NOT YE and would prefer secular rather than something I'd have to spend a lot of time tweaking.

I don't think I want an entire year's curriculum, I just want something to use for a month that has some fun experiments that will get us talking about science.

Maybe I should just get GEMS Secret Formulas and use that to springboard the questions I want to cover for our What Is Science? unit.

Is this YE? I am decidedly NOT YE and would prefer secular rather than something I'd have to spend a lot of time tweaking.

I don't think I want an entire year's curriculum, I just want something to use for a month that has some fun experiments that will get us talking about science.

Maybe I should just get GEMS Secret Formulas and use that to springboard the questions I want to cover for our What Is Science? unit.

I cannot remember for all the elementary age BJU science courses, but from what I remember they do not address this until middle school.

We started Science 2 a few weeks ago and love it. The experiments work and are relevent to the lessons. These are not dumbed down either but logical experiments to show what is being taught. The supplies are not hard to find items at this level, usually a Walmart type store will have what you need if it isn't already in the house.

I cannot remember for all the elementary age BJU science courses, but from what I remember they do not address this until middle school.

It's definitely "creationist", though the YE part doesn't come through strongly at this level. We just started BJU Science 3, and looking through the book (skimming), the only thing I see that would not be compatible with an old earth creationist would be where it says that most fossils were created by the Flood.

If you're looking for secular, BJU would not be it. ;)

What about just getting some Janice VanCleave books and working through some of the experiments? They are simple and use common items around your house.

I personally subscribe to the WTM theory about science and we use Elemental Science. My suggestion would be Paige's Intro to Science as well, but if you're not looking for a curriculum that wouldn't really fit your needs. I just love it because all the hard work of pulling things together is already done for me. I just have to execute it.

Yep, but I don't see how you'd have to do a lot of 'tweaking' to just say that you disagree with the amount of time the earth has been in existence, but that some think it's a young earth, and some, like yourself, believe it's old. Both have their reasons for believing what they do. I've had to do that many, many times throughout the years and my dc have yet to be confused.

With younger children I really like the "Lets Read and Find Out" Science books. We would read one, and then discuss it. No real investigation, hypothesis, etc., in that though. We used SL Science and BJU for elementary ages.

Which reminds me, you might enjoy Sonlight's Science programs. But, they are full programs.

Hope you find what you're looking for. My advice is to keep science fun and simple at that age. You can teach the technical processes of "what is science" until you're blue in the face, but if they're not ready for it, they won't retain it. At least that has been my experience. ;) YMMV of course. :D

Well, I'm not much into organized science curriculum. I didn't see much that fit with my views, and very little that looked really interesting for my boys. We've sort of built our own for biology, and that has worked out pretty well.

I plan to do the same for Earth Science, with a bit more of a "Let's go Explore" feel to it. My goal is to not have a single worksheet for science this year--but to have a perfectly heavy rock collection, a telescope that is always in the way, TONS of cloud drawings and weather journals and lots of pictures of two boys up past their knees in creeks getting water samples.

I did try with the scientific method of classifications this year with animals, and that was successful to a point. Since I tend to refer to plants by their Latin names that wasn't too bad either. We are on the plant kingdom for the next month or so, and I'm planning on lots of hikes and leaf collections and plant presses.

I know that you are not looking for a curriculum per se, but you can get BFSU for under $30 on Amazon, and BFSU is all about the scientific method and easy experiments. Even if you don't use it as a curriculum, it could be a great inexpensive resource for you.

I know that you are not looking for a curriculum per se, but you can get BFSU for under $30 on Amazon, and BFSU is all about the scientific method and easy experiments. Even if you don't use it as a curriculum, it could be a great inexpensive resource for you.

I already own it! Thanks though.

I'm going with HM Harcourt grade 3 next year but want to use Apologia on the side (during the summer). I have given up on finding a science program that meets my needs or combining too many. I like the HM format, Adrian can do a lot of the reading on his own and it will help me meet our local grade 2 standards for science. I saw you have Harcourt grade 2 on your list, is this what you are referring to?

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1306429051-1371316&subject=11&category=9275

That is what we will be trying anyway. The CD-Rom has all the consumables (I contacted Rainbow about this) and it can therefore be used with siblings.

Edited by Guest

FWIW, I recently discovered a guy called Dr. Kaboom from a show my kids and I saw at the Kennedy Center. HILARIOUS! He puts out videos for parents and kids to help them love science--simple experiments that can be conducted at home. My kids absolutely loved him.

Edited by Hedgehogs4

I saw you have Harcourt grade 2 on your list, is this what you are referring to?

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1306429051-1371316&subject=11&category=9275

That is what we will be trying anyway. The CD-Rom has all the consumables (I contacted Rainbow about this) and it can therefore be used with siblings.

I'm using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Harcourt-Science-Level-2-HSP/dp/0153229195 and I'm including Core Knowledge and our state standards for first grade to come up with our monthly unit studies topics. Harcourt will be our spine.

I am going to do a science notebook similar to what is described in WTM, with reading/narration/worksheets one day a week and hands on experiment the other. We'll tie in Investigation/hypothesis/observation/data collection with the experiments and include those in our notebook with the weekly narrations and occasional worksheet. She will also be working her way through McRuffy Science 1.

Also, I am planning on using GEMS guides, this link is good for you if you are using HM text:

http://www.lhsgems.org/GEMSpdf/KernCorrelations/GEMS-Houghton%20Mifflin%201.pdf

Edited by drexel

I'm using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Harcourt-Science-Level-2-HSP/dp/0153229195 and I'm including Core Knowledge and our state standards for first grade to come up with our monthly unit studies topics. Harcourt will be our spine.

I am going to do a science notebook similar to what is described in WTM, with reading/narration/worksheets one day a week and hands on experiment the other. We'll tie in Investigation/hypothesis/observation/data collection with the experiments and include those in our notebook with the weekly narrations and occasional worksheet. She will also be working her way through McRuffy Science 1.

Also, I am planning on using GEMS guides, this link is good for you if you are using HM text:

http://www.lhsgems.org/GEMSpdf/KernCorrelations/GEMS-Houghton%20Mifflin%201.pdf

Do you know if this is a program prior to what we will be using? I had seen those when I was doing a search on Amazon looking for reviews for the program. We are in Canada and I have downloaded our local standards and they line up really well with the grade 3 package, which was the reason I switched from the grade 2 that I was going to get originally, to the grade 3. I have a lot of flexibility from our school and I add in units to cover what we need, which was what I did a couple of months ago. I liked the looks of HM already so it was an added bonus that it lines up so well with our local requirements :).

I like your idea about the notebook. I didn't even think about that. I will have to check my WTM copy to see if I can incorporate some of the ideas to our current notebook, which is kinda plain right now :tongue_smilie:. I believe the HM science we are getting includes Investigation/hypothesis/observation/data collection, although I have not seen enough samples to be sure. I did play around with Science Fusion at some point and know it was included with their programs. I am hoping they will make a homeschool edition for that some day soon. My goal is to order HM in October, when we get the other half or our funding, although we spend a lot out-of-pocket for resources also. I am trying to stay away from trying to incorporate too many programs :tongue_smilie: since it did not work for us this year but I am adding some DK and Kingfisher books to our collection to help with further research.

Thank you for the GEMS link. I have never really looked at their website before. I will spend some more time when I get the chance :). Attaching the link to the page where the download you linked came from for anyone else that may want it ;).

http://www.lhsgems.org/CAcorrelations.html

Edited by Guest

For young kiddos you don't need a formal program. Get some books on "science" topics (animals, human body, birds, sea creatures, Earth, the solar system, whatever), read them and enjoy. Take advantage of any services in your community (nature preserves, museums, state parks), and join an organization that focuses on some component of science (cub scouts, 4-H).

Science topics are interesting; science programs for young kids are boring.

Do you know if this is a program prior to what we will be using?

I like your idea about the notebook. I didn't even think about that. I will have to check my WTM copy to see if I can incorporate some of the ideas to our current notebook, which is kinda plain right now :tongue_smilie:. I believe the HM science we are getting includes Investigation/hypothesis/observation/data collection, although I have not seen enough samples to be sure.

Thank you for the GEMS link. I have never really looked at their website before. I will spend some more time when I get the chance :). Attaching the link to the page where the download you linked came from for anyone else that may want it ;).

http://www.lhsgems.org/CAcorrelations.html

I'm thinking you are asking about Harcourt? I chose the Harcourt text for a couple reasons. First, I will probably enroll with Kolbe at some point and they use Harcourt. Second, my best friend is a first grade teacher in my state and her county uses Harcourt with an additional teacher created extensive lapbook/binder builder sort of science journal that the kids use from first to third grade. It hits all the SOL standards for our state. I'm not necessarily concerned about the SOLs but I do like having a road map of sorts for science content and it is easy enough to adapt out topics of study to align pretty well with our state standards. She is giving me a copy of this lapbook type project that we will use. It follows Harcourt topics so that is the text I purchased.

GEMS are supposed to be excellent and I already have Hide a Butterfly which looks great. I am going to be getting Involving Dissolving, Secret Formulas, Buzzing a Hive and Matter, Solids, Liquids and Gases, Aquatic Habitats and Liquid Exploration (my library has three of these titles, so that helps!). My plan is to use them over the course of the next two years.

Here is a really good free link for teachers from GEMS on Science and Math Early Exploration: http://lawrencehallofscience.stores.yahoo.net/scienandmate.html

Science has turned out to be the most piece meal subject we are doing but I just couldn't find any science homeschool program that met our needs.

I'm thinking you are asking about Harcourt? I chose the Harcourt text for a couple reasons. First, I will probably enroll with Kolbe at some point and they use Harcourt. Second, my best friend is a first grade teacher in my state and her county uses Harcourt with an additional teacher created extensive lapbook/binder builder sort of science journal that the kids use from first to third grade. It hits all the SOL standards for our state. I'm not necessarily concerned about the SOLs but I do like having a road map of sorts for science content and it is easy enough to adapt out topics of study to align pretty well with our state standards. She is giving me a copy of this lapbook type project that we will use. It follows Harcourt topics so that is the text I purchased.

GEMS are supposed to be excellent and I already have Hide a Butterfly which looks great. I am going to be getting Involving Dissolving, Secret Formulas, Buzzing a Hive and Matter, Solids, Liquids and Gases, Aquatic Habitats and Liquid Exploration (my library has three of these titles, so that helps!). My plan is to use them over the course of the next two years.

Here is a really good free link for teachers from GEMS on Science and Math Early Exploration: http://lawrencehallofscience.stores.yahoo.net/scienandmate.html

Science has turned out to be the most piece meal subject we are doing but I just couldn't find any science homeschool program that met our needs.

I'm sorry, there has been some confusion on my part :tongue_smilie:. No wonder, since I have a toddler that has been keeping me up all night while he sleeps during the day. Anyway, when I did a search on Amazon I searched for Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. After a few pages it seems to have picked up the Harcourt (HSP) books and I never noticed :lol:. Two entirely different programs, duh! Thank you though for sharing about Harcourt. I will see how we like HM Harcourt and see if we end up seeking out Harcourt HSP if it does not fulfill our goals/ needs.

I know what you mean about having a road map. It is why I chose HM. It tackles most of our local requirements and I will not have to completely reinvent the wheel, which was what I had to do this year and we ended up using part of BFSU and RS4K (we stalled out here because we could not find carnations, very annoying since it was the only experiment for the lesson) and then I had to add in my own unit to cover the remaining requirements while pushing our starting date for Apologia further and further back. Another reason is that it is secular and since my boy, it seems, will most likely follow a science related direction I worry about our current choices hindering his future possibilities of getting into the better local Universities.

I like what I have seen so far from HM. I am one that does not do well with spiral programs (neither does my son actually), however I like the way HM seems to transition between topics (keep in mind I am speaking just from what I have seen through preview pages primarily from the table of contents) without going off on too many tangents per year. It seems to follow an incremental approach more than anything else I think but I will have a better idea after we get it in October. The fact that it meets most of our local requirements is added bonus :). I am also adding a science kit from Thames and Kosmos, the Brock microscope and several DK and Kingfisher books for deeper study (as I mentioned before). Adrian is really getting into reading encyclopedia type books on his own now. So, it will be piece meal here to a certain degree also. I just don't want to mix too many programs anymore though but I like Apologia's focus on one topic per year (a mastery approach) and want to keep going with that as well but separately.

Anyway, sorry for the late reply and for rambling. I had saved the e-mail notification and then it got pushed further and further down by other e-mails and I didn't remember until now, when I was clearing my inbox. I would love to see the lapbook/ binder. It sounds like what I have been thinking about setting up for our TOG studies and would work even better for science. You are lucky to have your friend :). Perhaps if you are a picture taking person and don't mind posting pics you could post some photos of the one you put together at some point. I would love to see it!

Thanks again about mentioning GEMS and for the links. I had heard about them but had never really taken a closer look until now.

Edited by Guest

I've tried CLE, R&S, RSO, and NL Science for k-2. I officially give up. I'm using either a McGraw-Hill or Harcourt Science text as my spine next year. (I have both on my shelves and not 100% sure which I'll use.) Each one has 7 units. So I plan to spend approx. 5-6 weeks on each unit. I went online and wishlisted a science kit or fun activity set to go along with each one. We'll read through the text, skip the review questions, notebook about what we learn, do the experiments if they look fun, and learn through hands-on exploration with the kits. Easy-peasy.

Now to see if it all comes together the way I envision it. :D

Sorry for a quick hijack...what didn't you like about NL science? I haven't heard any negative reviews and I like to hear what works and what doesn't!

I have not idea what this book is truly like, but I was reading about it the other day. It's called My First Science Notebook from what used to be called Castle Heights Press, but is apparently now called Homeschool science press. I don't think it's intended to be a full curriculum. Here's part of the description:

"My First Science Notebook is for the student. In this book the kindergartener through third grader can learn the skills of science as the workbook takes them through observation, data recording, scientific drawings, and experiments."

Here's the link: http://www.homeschoolsciencepress.com/shop/my-first-science-notebook