Menu

Has anyone gone from Natural Thyroid to Synthetic?

I have always taken either Armour or Nature-Throid, recently also Cytomel.

I can't really say that I have had my (Hypo) thyroid consistently managed.

About 2 yrs ago my dh was also dxed with Hypo, and was also put on a natural thyroid(different dr) and he's never had his thyroid managed.

Last week he saw a different dr- the second Endo he's seen. His labs came back totally whacked. He is "off the charts." The dr. said she wanted to switch him to Synthroid, as the Nature-Throid isn't consistent with it's purity.

Dh really, really likes this dr-said she wanted to get to the bottom of the health issues he's having, instead of slapping a band-aid on them. She sounds great-intelligent, good listener, thinks outside of the box, didn't rush him, etc..

If things start going well with dh, I *may* entertain the idea of switching to this dr and going synthetic.

Thoughts?

I've taken a rather high dose of Synthroid for years. I once tried the generic form and could not maintain my levels. My dr said that generic brands are "allowed" a 20% deviation from claimed dosage. Beware and check often :)

:iagree:

My doctor and pharmacist would agree.

I struggled for a couple of years trying to maintain good levels on a generic thyroid medicine. I switched doctors when I moved who informed me of the variances between generic and brand-name. He switched me to Synthroid and I've been balanced for over 3 years! No more see-sawing!! :)

My dr is suggesting this switch as well. She says balanced, meaning the test results come back consistently within lab normals, and she says the patients feel better as well. She says they don't typically start losing weight though. (But feeling better would sure be a nice start!)

Those of you who are on Synthroid, do you feel better and did you lose weight if needed?

I struggled for a couple of years trying to maintain good levels on a generic thyroid medicine. I switched doctors when I moved who informed me of the variances between generic and brand-name. He switched me to Synthroid and I've been balanced for over 3 years! No more see-sawing!! :)

Interestingly, I started out on the generic for Synthroid and did really well. After doing a lot of reading, I decided to switch to the brand name for all the reasons that have been stated in this thread. Well, I quickly developed the worse case of insomnia I've ever had in my life and it took me a month and a prescription medication to get over it. I do wonderfully on the generic, but something about the Synthroid does not work for me.

Recently, my doctor added a small dose of cytomel to my levothyroxine and again, the insomnia began. Yet, my thyroid meds clearly needed to be increased.

I just wanted to share that in case some poor soul starts out with Synthroid and then gives up on the meds because of insomnia.

Lisa

My dr is suggesting this switch as well. She says balanced, meaning the test results come back consistently within lab normals, and she says the patients feel better as well. She says they don't typically start losing weight though. (But feeling better would sure be a nice start!)

Those of you who are on Synthroid, do you feel better and did you lose weight if needed?

I had slowly put on about 15 pounds on my small 5'4" frame, fighting it every step of the way, prior to starting generic Synthroid. I had never had a weight problem before then. As soon as I began the meds, I lost the weight very quickly and am now back to being able to easily maintain my weight.

Lisa

That is good to know because I have definitely wondered at times if my meds were working at all. I am on Levothyroxine, I've tried Synthroid and it made me very miserable. Maybe I should try a lower dose of Synthroid. A 100 mcg of Synthroid definitely felt more potent than 100 mcg of Levothyroxine.

:bigear:

I've been on Nature-Throid for about 6 weeks and feel great. But that's not a long enough time to find out if my levels won't stabilize. My TSH went down some, but not enough, and she wanted my T3 higher, so we increased my dosage this last visit. But my doc is VERY experienced with thyroid meds and usually recommends Nature-Throid. I will have to ask her next time I see her about this.

Interestingly, I started out on the generic for Synthroid and did really well. After doing a lot of reading, I decided to switch to the brand name for all the reasons that have been stated in this thread. Well, I quickly developed the worse case of insomnia I've ever had in my life and it took me a month and a prescription medication to get over it. I do wonderfully on the generic, but something about the Synthroid does not work for me.

Recently, my doctor added a small dose of cytomel to my levothyroxine and again, the insomnia began. Yet, my thyroid meds clearly needed to be increased.

I just wanted to share that in case some poor soul starts out with Synthroid and then gives up on the meds because of insomnia.

Lisa

I tried the mix of levothyroxine/cytomel and felt terrible. I had an awful time with blood sugar. I would just CRASH if I didn't eat really often. Just weird and scary. I went back to puttering around with levo. I just called to make appt. I am going to try a lower dose of Synthroid.

I tried the Levothyroxine and was miserable. I felt jittery and depressed/anxious. I switched to the Armour and have felt so much better. I think the big difference for me was my mental stability on the Armour. I would only go back to Levothyroxine kicking and screaming. I never did try the Synthroid. I'm glad to see here that most people have found success with it.

I was on Synthroid for years. My bloodwork levels were "fine", but I still didn't feel well. I switched to Armour a couple years ago and feel much better. My bloodwork levels are still in range. If your DH's levels are off, I'd think it's more likely he needs a different dose rather than a different medicine. It's normal for thyroid patients to need dosage adjustment.

I was on levothyroxine and then switched to natural thyroid support. My doctor checked my numbers and my thyroid was completely out of whack. She told me to NEVER use natural thyroid. Thyroid regulates and works with too many important functions to have an unstable medication like armour. Back on synthroid and I feel great! My numbers are good as well.

I tried the Levothyroxine and was miserable. I felt jittery and depressed/anxious. I switched to the Armour and have felt so much better. I think the big difference for me was my mental stability on the Armour. I would only go back to Levothyroxine kicking and screaming. I never did try the Synthroid. I'm glad to see here that most people have found success with it.

Michelle,

Did you have to change to a different dr. to get on the Armour?

I was on Synthroid for years. My bloodwork levels were "fine", but I still didn't feel well. I switched to Armour a couple years ago and feel much better. My bloodwork levels are still in range. If your DH's levels are off, I'd think it's more likely he needs a different dose rather than a different medicine. It's normal for thyroid patients to need dosage adjustment.

Did you have to change drs to get off of Synthroid and onto Armour?

Anyway, he has had his dosages changed many times since it was discovered he is Hypo. This is the 3rd dr he's seen, but the first to make such a drastic switch.

I was on levothyroxine and then switched to natural thyroid support. My doctor checked my numbers and my thyroid was completely out of whack. She told me to NEVER use natural thyroid. Thyroid regulates and works with too many important functions to have an unstable medication like armour. Back on synthroid and I feel great! My numbers are good as well.

Are you talking about a prescription such as Armour, Nature-throid, or West-throid that you tried-or supplements to "support" your thyroid?

If it was a script, was all the change from the same dr or did you see someone different?

Thanks!:grouphug:

About weight loss:

I am one who NEVER loses weight as a symptom of too much thyroid hormone. Jitters - yes. Hair loss- yes. insomnia- yes. Living life on fast forward- yes. Weight loss- sorry, no. :glare: I feel gypped.

*However*, I will say that I have had weight loss when I had too little thyroid hormone. Not as a result of it, mind you, but as a result of a concerted effort to lose weight. I had no idea my numbers were off, but had lost 10 lbs. My Dr. was impressed when she saw my TSH numbers and noticed the weight loss. :)

It *is* possible to lose weight when your TSH numbers are high. It just won't happen on its own.

About weight loss:

I am one who NEVER loses weight as a symptom of too much thyroid hormone. Jitters - yes. Hair loss- yes. insomnia- yes. Living life on fast forward- yes. Weight loss- sorry, no. :glare: I feel gypped.

*However*, I will say that I have had weight loss when I had too little thyroid hormone. Not as a result of it, mind you, but as a result of a concerted effort to lose weight. I had no idea my numbers were off, but had lost 10 lbs. My Dr. was impressed when she saw my TSH numbers and noticed the weight loss. :)

It *is* possible to lose weight when your TSH numbers are high. It just won't happen on its own.

Me too, it was/is a lot of hard work .... hard, hard work :001_smile:

I take NatureThroid and love it. I switched when Armour became hard to get. I actually called Forest Pharm. and talked to a pharmacist there about what labs look like on Armour. He said they don't know what they should be, and it is better to go by symptoms when on natural thyroid. My labs look crazy, but I feel good. If we made my labs look like what the ranges say, I would feel bad again. Natural thyroid makes your TSH close to zero, and to bring it up to what lab ranges say, I wouldn't be able to get out of bed. I was on synthetic, and did quite poorly on it. I would never take it again, and literally walk out of a doctor that insisted. I fought for years to get my health back!

Adding: You need to dose the natural thyroid more than once a day. The T3 runs out, it has a short half life. I take 2/3 of my dose early a.m. and the other 1/3 an hour or two before dinner. I take 3 grains a day.

Edited by Susan C.