Menu

Food storage mavens: what do you store?

Okay, so I've seen all the lists that say I need so many hundred pounds of wheat. I've also seen the advice to "store what you eat." Since we don't have a grain mill and are unlikely to make our own bulgur, storing lots of wheat in unprocessed form doesn't seem like the best use of our (very) limited food budget.

What would you suggest for a small family of two lacto-ovo-vegetarians and one guy who likes a little fish now and again? (Well, he likes a lot of things, but he can live without most of them better than he can without fish. :)) My dw does not abide canned vegetables other than beans.

So far I have small stocks of...

* rice

* popcorn

* oats

* canned and dried beans

* canned tomatoes

* peanut butter

* TVP

* soy milk

* tuna fish

* honey

* vegetable oil

* water

And I plan to add...

* yeast

* wheat flour

* pasta (if it ever goes on sale :glare:)

* soy flour

* nuts

* dried fruit

* maple syrup

* jam

* spices

* salt

* shelf-stable condiments (ketchup, mayo, mustard)

We do not have a chest freezer, and for now, at least, I'd like to limit our storage to foods that are stable at room temperature.

What am I missing? And as a bonus question ;), what is your favorite food storage cookbook? TIA!

Yeah, wheat is recommended because it lasts a lot longer than flour. It's also more versatile: you can sprout it for a lovely nutrition-packed veggie, make it into bulgur (which is delicious, try it), hot cereal, or bread. So you might want to think about investing in a mill one of these days--it's pretty fun to mill your own flour, your kid will love it. (I loved it as a kid, anyway.) Baking your own bread from your own flour saves a lot of money (not that I ever do mind you, but I could!).

One of my favorite food storage cookbooks is Food storage for the clueless--despite the annoying name it's a great book with lots of good ideas for the beginning storer.

So you won't do dairy? That means no dried milk, so you might want to look into whether there's such a thing as soy yogurt you can make yourself.

Beans are excellent (sadly my daughter's allergic to them :( and I'm still working on good protein substitutes), you might also like to look into doing lentils.

Salt is important--you want about 6 pounds for a year's worth, I think. Look carefully at the condiments; I thought I was being clever to buy and store mustard on sale, but it expires a lot sooner than you'd think.

I was getting ready to do some of this research. Thanks for asking. I am looking at making my hurricane preparedness kit. Being on an island requires a bit longer of a self-sustaining period.

My beginning list includes many of yours Plaid (may I call you Plaid?;)). I also have canned fruits (mandarin oranges and applesauce) on there.

Question: what oil is best to store for longer periods of time? I see it on a lot of lists, but I worry about rancidity.

Jo

If you get wheat berries, they can be sprouted, which helps provide fresh veggie type nutrients, but you will need adequate water. There are recipes for baking bread with sprouted wheat kernels. Plus, alfalfa can be sprouted, etc. There are also dehydrated veggies, if your dw can abide those. I cannot abide canned veggies, either, but doubt I'd like dehydrated ones much better. I didn't do a quote. Did your list include dried fruit?

Are you also ovo-lacto-vegetarian (but plus the fish for you?) Because dried milk powder is another storable food. I think there's also dehydrated cheese, but that's not something we have. We're not mega food storers, we mainly do this because it's cheaper to buy in bulk, especially with one on a rotary diet--we can buy amaranth flour for 1/3 the price of our local natural food store, buckwheat flour for less than half price of our grocery store, etc.

Unbleached white flour will last a lot longer than whole wheat as long as there's no wheat germ in it. You can get a hand grain grinder for less than $100 for emergency use, btw. Also, oats are high in anti-oxidants, so they tend to last better than w/w flour. Heat stabilized nuts last longer than raw ones.

You might want to store extra applesauce, as it can be used to replace eggs in most recipes. I always have months supply of brownie ingredients (baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, olive oil, egg replacer) along with our storage items... does this say anything about my priorities??:)

Whole wheat. I would store this even if you don’t have a grinder. If kept cool, it will last indefinitely. It seems that in difficult times (Great Depression, WWII, etc.), neighbors come together. Your neighbors will likely be happy to grind your wheat for you. I know I would. (Well, if we’re running with electricity. If we have to use a hand crank grinder, I’ll show you how to do it; then you’re on your own.;)) I’ve been told that WW flour lasts for three months in the freezer.

Paper goods. If you have an emergency where water is cut off, you certainly don’t want to use your water to wash dishes. Make sure to include TP. (As a side note, my in-laws and several friends from church were asked—spur of the moment and no trip to the store to prepare--to live on their food storage for two weeks. They could barter with others in this group. My in-laws were able to get everything they wanted because they had TP.:D)

Toiletries. Soap, toothpaste, deodorant. Bleach, vinegar, baking soda.

Luxury items. If life is stressful, a little luxury goes a long ways. For me, it’s butter. I just bought some powdered butter today to try out. If it tastes good, I’ll buy a lot more. But I’ve been building up my storage for years, so I now have the funds for these luxuries.

Freeze-dried fruits and veggies. They are expensive, but everything is high quality (so far) and a little goes a long ways. We love the strawberries and blueberries (and we really don’t like the regular dried versions of these fruits).

Dehydrate your own fruits and veggies. I’ve picked up dehydrators at garage sales for $2. The dehydrated food takes up amazingly little space. I just dried 12 big bunches of celery, and it all fit in two pint jars.

What would you suggest for a small family of two lacto-ovo-vegetarians and one guy who likes a little fish now and again? (Well, he likes a lot of things, but he can live without most of them better than he can without fish. :)) My dw does not abide canned vegetables other than beans.

So far I have small stocks of...

* rice

* popcorn

* oats

* canned and dried beans

* canned tomatoes

* peanut butter

* TVP

* soy milk

* tuna fish

* honey

* vegetable oil

* water

And I plan to add...

* yeast

* wheat flour

* pasta (if it ever goes on sale :glare:)

* soy flour

* nuts

* dried fruit

* maple syrup

* jam

* spices

* salt

* shelf-stable condiments (ketchup, mayo, mustard)

We do not have a chest freezer, and for now, at least, I'd like to limit our storage to foods that are stable at room temperature.

What am I missing? And as a bonus question ;), what is your favorite food storage cookbook? TIA!

Baking soda, cream of tartar, canned salmon, green chiles... and some that have already been recommended - applesauce, bleach, vinegar, paper products.

Make sure you have a variety of beans/lentils. We keep about 20# of pintos on hand, just b/c we eat those so often. But I like to also keep kidney beans, anasazi beans, navy beans, black beans, split peas, bean mixes... I start feeling like Forrest Whittaker's character in Forest Gump, but with beans instead of shrimp.

Can DW handle pickled foods? If so, I'd probably include some of those - pickles, okra, pigs feet (those are for DH and the boys, though - I just... can't).

A dehydrator and some oxygen absorbers would come in handy so you could more easily prepare and store what you already enjoy using.

Also, and I forgot about this yesterday, you can eat boiled wheat. My mother served that to us a few times in what she refers to as her earth mother days back in the 1970s when we lived in the house designed by a hippie architect. He later became a yuppy (just a piece of unnecessary trivia) and my parents now live in a house designed my my non-architect mother.

Thanks for all the tips on wheat. I like bulgur very much, although it's not a favorite with the other members of the family. I have had boiled wheat, too; it's part of a traditional Eastern Christian dish. They're just not things I would want to make mainstays of my diet now - and we don't have the resources to store foods that we wouldn't readily fit into our menu rotation right now as well as on down the (emergency) road.

But I will talk with dw about that and see what she thinks about investing in a grain mill. We do bake bread and make things like pancakes, muffins, and some baked desserts. She thinks all this emergency preparedness stuff is just me being paranoid ;) but we just got a Lehman's catalog, so...

but we just got a Lehman's catalog, so...

Well, since you brought up Lehman's, I'd get a small crock and make and can lots of sauerkraut to eat over the winter. Cheap vitamin C and lots of fiber. Yum.

BTW, the leather fly swatter that Lehman's sells is awesome! Beats the heck (pun intended) out of those good-for-nothing plastic ones you can buy locally. It has been my favorite Lehman's item so far. :D

I really like Mrs. Survival for information on inexpensive food storage and preparation. The ladies (and a few gentlemen) there are really nice. I've tried the scotch broth recipe that I first found there and really like it. It is also a great way to store a lot of food inexpensively (and in a fair compact space). Here is a link to a discussion there about it: http://www.mrssurvival.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=10&Number=171566&Searchpage=1&Main=23526&Words=scotch&topic=0&Search=true#Post171566

Since they discuss more than one recipe, I'll say that I used the one posted by "Grubby". I quite liked it, DD(5.5yo) liked it, DS (almost 8) said he hated it and I'm sure the baby (18mo) would love it (she loves food, period). I use the "better than bouillon" paste (which they have several vegetarian flavors of) and it is quite yummy. As far as emergency preparedness stuff, convincing spouses about it can be one of the biggest challenges. Homesteading today has a great, fairly low key survival and emergency preparedness subforum. (http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)

Just remember, you can survive far longer without food than without water. If you are lucky enough to live near a large supply of water, then getting a water filtering system is a great idea.

HTH,

Missy

Okay, so I've seen all the lists that say I need so many hundred pounds of wheat. I've also seen the advice to "store what you eat." Since we don't have a grain mill and are unlikely to make our own bulgur, storing lots of wheat in unprocessed form doesn't seem like the best use of our (very) limited food budget.

simply because I live in a rural area and have to order it from a food coop. I'm not sure if I would be inclined to store these quantities otherwise.

You might want to store extra applesauce, as it can be used to replace eggs in most recipes. I always have months supply of brownie ingredients (baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa, olive oil, egg replacer) along with our storage items... does this say anything about my priorities??:)

You know, I think that most people forget to store favorite comfort foods, but it seems to me that'd be pretty important in an emergency. Can you imagine being thrust into an emergency AND being without caffeine? Also, can you imagine the trading value of chocolate, in that situation? Remember, in a depression, chocolate sales go up.

I hope this doesn't drive you nuts Drew, but you can get information on food storage from our church web site:

Provident Living:

http://www.providentliving.org/welcome/0,10803,1653-1,00.html

Food Storage Calulator:

http://www.providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7498-1-4070-1,00.html

There is a food storage center in your area where you can purchase and get your bulk items canned (possibly easiest if you visit the Bishop or know a church member in one of the churches in your area):

http://www.providentliving.org/location/map/0,12566,2026-1-4,00.html

More ideas:

We do have an extra freezer even though we are a fam of 4 and don't need it. It is handy for freezing things from our garden. More importantly, we have all the necessary canning equipment (and fire/grill set up) in case we need to can everything in the freezer should we lose power. The equipment is also handy for our garden excess. If you can get a freezer second hand - and the canning equipment (or a dehydrator) it is helpful.

We have a hand crank grinder and get our wheat ground and sealed in bulk at a local food storage center.

You can also get in on a good local co-op in your area, or get a plot in a community garden. Or...start your own shipping business. All you need is a truck driver and farm contacts. The driver picks up items from the farm and brings them to your garage for your own distribution to your own co-op members.

You can often get a manager's discount at grocery stores if you purchase a whole flat or box of fruits and veggies.

Once your food storage is up and going (it takes about a year to accumulate) you can track it using an Excell program. We aren't that detailed, or accountants that get into that "thing" but it can be done.

I'll try to track down a weekly shopping list that tells you what to buy each week of the year to build your food storage. It goes something like this: Week 1: 4 cans of soup per person; 1 bulk box of baking powder; 1 20# bag of flour

Week 2: 1 bottle of ketchup; 1 30# bag of rice

Week 3: 1 bulk box of matches; 4 cans of soup per person; 1 box of dried soup...

The eating is so much healthier when you're at the bottom of the food chain! Its just so hard to store and sometimes, cook with creativity!

You can get heirloom seeds online just google it; there are many places to choose from. Heirloom seeds have the ability to reproduce themselves each year...hybrid seeds do not. They will store for several years, but as far as the details of how to do it...I am not sure yet the specifics...I have a book coming to walk me through the process. Also, heirloom seeds are NOT genetically modified...alot of the hybrid or maybe all of them (not sure) are :confused: Anyway, I think everybody should have some heirloom seeds!

I don't know if any of this has been added...but it stuff I didn't really see that I would want.

Coffee probably instant espresso

bulk tea with a couple of good tea strainers

instant falafel http://www.fantasticfoods.com/

instant refried beans

instant brown rice

instant mashed potatoes

canned chili (could be topped with cornbread for a good filling casserole)

cashews

pistachios

Trader Joes has really good canned corn. It's almost fresh tasting and not canny at all!

cornbread mix (for me wheatless so I might have to make my own)

cocoa for sure!

aseptic packages of soymilk (don't forget chocolate) and tofu

tofu pudding mix

molasses

instant shake mix powder (nutiva is good)

jetboil

heavy duty cookware like a good kettle and a cast iron dutch oven (you could throw this in a fire and it would be ok)

spices (curry, italian, salt, pepper, dried hot peppers, cinnamon)

If you are lucky enough to live near a large supply of water, then getting a water filtering system is a great idea.

Thanks, Missy! Great tips. We have a river that runs through our backyard; it's actually quite clean (as in unpolluted). Do you have any pointers for filtering systems?

I have been storing up on extras as well.

wheat berries

oat groats

sucanat (cheaper than honey and goes a long way)

oil

rice

dried beans

canned sweet potatoes (sweet potatoes are nutritious enough to survive on. They are also great for cooking in sweet breads and muffins)

pasta

canned tomatoes

I have cheese and butter frozen.

Thanks, Missy! Great tips. We have a river that runs through our backyard; it's actually quite clean (as in unpolluted). Do you have any pointers for filtering systems?

There are ceramic water filters that are good for this. My sister and her dh used one when they backpacked around the world back in the early 1990s. It does not remove viruses, though, and periodically needs to be scraped clean. If for some reason the water is muddy, you can pre-filter it in a cloth bag with clean sand in it. These are things we learned before the millenial change when people were worried about computers and electrical grids shutting down, etc. Not that we stocked up much, I think we had enough to live on for a month or something, but we thought that would be a good idea in general. Remember the ice storms that went through places like Maine and Quebec? People were without power for days.

I personally got a Big Berkey by British Berkefeld. I had to save up for a while, though, because they are quite expensive (I think I paid around $200). I got the black carbon filters rather than the ceramic because the black carbon filters out viruses and because one of the nearest sources of water was the site of a PCB cleanup so I got the add on attachments for filtering heavy metals and PCBs (because, hey, if GM didn't clean it up right the first time, whose to say they did it right again). HTH,

Missy

PS Totally off topic Drew, but have you gotten any updates on when they might publish the new book? Not the updated LCC, the other one :) I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and get the Harp and Laurel Wreath or wait for your new book.

I personally got a Big Berkey by British Berkefeld. I had to save up for a while, though, because they are quite expensive (I think I paid around $200). I got the black carbon filters rather than the ceramic because the black carbon filters out viruses and because one of the nearest sources of water was the site of a PCB cleanup so I got the add on attachments for filtering heavy metals and PCBs (because, hey, if GM didn't clean it up right the first time, whose to say they did it right again). HTH,

Missy

Thanks--I've not heard of this one (not serious enough about this, I guess!)