Menu

Anyone ever use ear candles??

I've candled different family member's ears many times. Some of them swear by it, others don't feel any different. I've had mine done as well but I don't remember any dramatic changes. I'm still not totally convinced that all that wax inside the finished candle is from the ear. It certainly looks like ear wax, but I guess I'm a bit of a skeptic to think that that much wax can come out of there.

I've candled different family member's ears many times. Some of them swear by it, others don't feel any different. I've had mine done as well but I don't remember any dramatic changes. I'm still not totally convinced that all that wax inside the finished candle is from the ear. It certainly looks like ear wax, but I guess I'm a bit of a skeptic to think that that much wax can come out of there.

I agree...I was poking around about it last nite' on the web and that's what many people said...one woman said she actually tasted it:tongue_smilie: and yeah, it's ear wax alright!!!

Please be careful

"ear candling" supplies are illegal to sell here..

"Health Canada's mission is to help the people of Canada maintain and improve their health. As part of this mission, Health Canada is responsible for ensuring that medical devices for sale in Canada are safe and effective.

Health Canada's Medical Devices Regulations state that certain types of medical devices, including ear candles, require a licence from Health Canada before anyone can sell them for therapeutic purposes.

Health Canada has not issued any licences for ear candles. Therefore, the sale of this product for therapeutic purposes in Canada is illegal. As well, both Canada and the United States have issued directives that ban the importing of ear candles.

Some promoters try to get around Health Canada's Medical Devices Regulations by advertising that ear candles are "for entertainment purposes only". However, Health Canada maintains that these people are selling the product illegally, for medical purposes, as there is no other reasonable use for ear candles.

I don't know what the status is in the USA - although there is mention of an import ban in the above…

We've used them when two of us have had colds and plugged ears, and got a lot of yucky stuff out. It did seem to help. I always cover the person's head with a towel (to protect hair from flame) and have a large bowl of water available. No mishaps with these precautions.

Please be careful

"ear candling" supplies are illegal to sell here..

"Health Canada's mission is to help the people of Canada maintain and improve their health. As part of this mission, Health Canada is responsible for ensuring that medical devices for sale in Canada are safe and effective.

Health Canada's Medical Devices Regulations state that certain types of medical devices, including ear candles, require a licence from Health Canada before anyone can sell them for therapeutic purposes.

Health Canada has not issued any licences for ear candles. Therefore, the sale of this product for therapeutic purposes in Canada is illegal. As well, both Canada and the United States have issued directives that ban the importing of ear candles.

Some promoters try to get around Health Canada's Medical Devices Regulations by advertising that ear candles are "for entertainment purposes only". However, Health Canada maintains that these people are selling the product illegally, for medical purposes, as there is no other reasonable use for ear candles.

I don't know what the status is in the USA - although there is mention of an import ban in the above…

Huh. I've candled ears when I lived in ON. Must have been before the Health Canada thing, b/c you could buy them anywhere.

From what I have read, it is an expensive scam. The candling does nothing but warm the ear. You are better off aiming a blow drier on the lowest and coolest setting at your ear. That helps to dry out your ear.

I will also put a warmed rice bag over my ear to seek relief from ear pain.

Melissa

Adding links:

Edited by Melissa in NC

I have done it many times here for my DH and my sons. They wouldn't want me to do it again ever if they didn't believe it helped! There are two different colors of "gunk" in the candle when you are done. The lighter colored "gunk" is ash from the candle. The darker "gunk" is the ear wax.

Nope, never tasted it. :blink:

I think it's the heat from the flame that might relieve ear pain, but a boiled onion (with a cloth between onion and your ear) will do the same thing. I've used that too.

As far as the candle extracting wax...we did an experiment in which I held it to my hand and burned it. The candle still had a ball of wax in it. I think the wax you see in the candle is from the ear candle itself, orange in color because of the burning. We no longer use the candles.

No, but I'm enjoying this thread because I've always wondered about them.

Did you know there are two kinds of earwax? One is "normal" and what many/most people have. The other kind is a very sticky earwax and often trying to clean the ear in a traditional way can cause blocks.

I didn't know this until my second child started having ear issues. We took him in and the Dr said he could see an ear plug in the ear canal. He tried to remove it, but had issues. He then explained the ear thing to me.

It's just something you are born with. My second child and my dh both have this problem! They have the ickiest stickiest earwax. They get "blocked" ears all the time. For dh I often put hydrogen peroxide in the ear and it will bubble and crackle and eat through some of the wax, but the ear is never properly clean.

We were just discussing ear candles and wondered if they would work in their situation! ;)

I have done it many times here for my DH and my sons. They wouldn't want me to do it again ever if they didn't believe it helped! There are two different colors of "gunk" in the candle when you are done. The lighter colored "gunk" is ash from the candle. The darker "gunk" is the ear wax.

Nope, never tasted it. :blink:

you should go look at that link that was posted upthread. the pics show both of the colored waxes after he burned the candle down in a vial. looks just the same as burning in the ear.