Menu

Horseback riding lessons

Boy have prices gone up since I was a kid. I remember paying that for a month of lessons! Though later on, I think it was $75.

I think lessons are a bit cheaper around here, but nowhere near as cheap as when I was a kid, even the "later on" amount. :tongue_smilie:

Would you pay $40-$45 per 45 minute lesson once a week?

WOW! My rule of thumb is no more than $15 per day for an outside activity, so that would definitely exceed my limit! But we haven't done any private lessons yet (like music), so maybe I'm just naive.

I would say it depends on the facility and the caliber of training. The barn we use has an indoor and outdoor ring and two of the trainers have over 25 years experience in riding, competing at a national and international level, and training horses and students with many of their students winning at a national level. The horses are all extremely well cared for and healthy. No horse is ever ridden if it isn't in top notch health. We pay 37.50 for an hour.

I would not be willing to pay 40-45 per lesson (or any amount) for someone who isn't skilled and experienced in horsemanship and who isn't extremely well educated in training others to ride. I also wouldn't pay that much for someone who just has a dozen or so horses on their farm and is just looking for some extra money. Not saying that is the case in your situation. Just clarifying that the price may or may not be a deal depending on what you are getting.

No. I pay $25 for a weekly 60 min. lesson for dd that is taught by a well trained and experienced, expert horsewoman. $1 per minute sounds tremendously high to me -- I guess unless you are in high end circles with thoroughbreds.

Blessings,

Lucinda

P.S. Coming back to edit and add: for this price dd's instructor also teaches about horses, all about their care, temperament, etc. along with riding itself.

Edited by HSMom2One

Would you pay $40-$45 per 45 minute lesson once a week?

The going rate around here widely fluctuates between $25 for a 30 minute lesson and $45 for an hour lesson.

We currently pay $45 but our trainer is degreed equine trainer who is known for her training expertise with horses. She always goes waaay over the hour and teaches my daughter more than just riding. DD is/has learned how to saddle break a horse, raising foals, etc. Usually DD is at the barn for a solid 1.5-2 hours learning the entire time from ground work to saddle riding. And that's all during our "$45 weekly hour lessons". We've been with her for the last 3 years.

Previous barns we have been at:

$25 for 30 minutes. Groomed, tacked up and that's it.

$35 for 30 minutes. Very little grooming/tacking up (usually the horse was all ready to go). This was at a "well-known" (in our area) hunter/jumper barn.

Our goal for DD was for her to learn more than just riding. If riding lessons were all we wanted I wouldn't pay $45 for 45 minute lessons. But if you are getting much much more than simply riding, it is worth every cent. :001_smile:

WOW! My rule of thumb is no more than $15 per day for an outside activity, so that would definitely exceed my limit! But we haven't done any private lessons yet (like music), so maybe I'm just naive.

Well unless you live somewhere immensely cheaper than I do (which is likely since I live near DC) you will not get any outside activities for $15 a day. Sorry.

And to the OP - that seems about what it is around here. We haven't done any but that seems to be around what I see.

Heather

Our riding lessons are $60 for 60 minutes, split between two young children. This is with an experienced horse trainer and riding instructor (who also happens to be an amazing homeschooling mom :D). While this may seem pricey, it is a great deal cheaper than what we were paying for OT, while giving many of the same benefits and teaching a real skill.

We pay $50 for 1/2 hr, $90 for an hour. I don't know what your lessons include, but ours are English show jumping lessons. The instructor is a former Grand Prix champion.

I know NOTHING about horses or riding other than it is an amazingly expensive hobby!

Well unless you live somewhere immensely cheaper than I do (which is likely since I live near DC) you will not get any outside activities for $15 a day. Sorry.

Heather

We are in the Southeast - a little ways south of Charlotte, NC. We do the Little Gym (up to 12 kids per class for an hour), swimming lessons (4 kids per class for 30 min), and dance (I would guess there are about 10 kids in a class). Their are 1000 dance studios in this area, and they are all priced about the same. $60 per month for the first hour/wk, then around $10 a month for every hour/wk after that. (So the first hour is high, but it averages to a low price if you do several classes.)

might not be an option in your area. But we found a lady who boards a horse at a nearby stable and has taught lessons at summer camps, etc. before. She does lessons after work and since my daughter is the only lesson that night she gets to do all the before and after brushing and bringing the horse to and from the riding barn. It's $20 for a 1/2 hr. lesson, but with the extra stuff to do she's there nearly an hour. I'd hope they are very high quality lessons for that price!!!! Gina

That's an excellent price for my area.

I was able to get private lessons for my two younger girls for $40/lesson/kid. The riding lesson itself was 45 minutes, but we were actually there for twice that long because every lesson started off with grooming and tacking up the horses (about 20 minutes) and every lesson ended with untacking the horses and even giving them showers on really hot days. My girls had their lessons at the same time, but they had separate instructors. It was a nice deal.

Private lessons are typically $60-80/hour. Group lessons run from $200-250/month for a one hour lesson 1x/week. I know several places offer a discount on private lessons if you are also doing group lessons.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

I think it just depends on what area you are in. We are in California but we are lucky and only pay $40 for a two hours of time. Her actual lesson time is 1 hour with the instructor and most of the time it's one on one but she gets to come 1/2 before her lesson and learn how to prepare the horse and herself for riding. This is usually done with an older student who teaches her and lets her try to do it herself. She also gets 1/2 hour after the lesson, again with an older student on what to do with the horse after you ride. I love this method. For her, she really wants a horse and there is so much more then just showing up and having the horse saddled and you get to go for a ride. She needs to learn how and what else goes into caring for a horse. I also love that they have a trail so at the end of each lesson, she usually gets to go on a trail ride.

I had to search for quite awhile to find this deal and find a stable that I trusted but I also love the fact that they participate in horse shows to so when she is ready, that is available to her as well and the teacher goes to all of the events that kids sign up for and you pay her a fee for the weekend, which is reasonable and she brings the horses and helps the child.

A side note...we also pay for singing for another child and we pay $60 for two 1/2 lessons per month. So, I know riding seems expensive but compared to singing..it's a drop in the bucket!

Good Luck finding the right situation for your family and child. I love having her in lessons and I love spending every other Saturday at the stables too. It's even good for my other dd who just runs around and enjoys being outside and around the horses. :001_smile: