Menu

Does coffee irritate anyone's stomach here?

I am trying to narrow down my stomach pain. I have a feeling it may be coffee. Lately, I have felt a bloating, gassy, painful feeling.

Tomorrow, I am going to cut coffee and see if it helps.

Does anyone else have this problem with coffee? :crying:

Tomorrow, I am going to cut coffee and see if it helps.

Does anyone else have this problem with coffee? :crying:

LOL-- I love Unicorn's answer!

Also, you could try switching to decaf to see if that helps -- maybe that holds the small possibility you can still have your coffee & drink it too (hahaha)...

A family member not blood related. ;)

Interstingly, the only time I get this sort of reaction to food that you describe is after a bowl of Corn Flakes, during a time when I'm eating chocolate. I think it's the milk and the chocolate double punch to my stomach.

But, who know, it could just be hormones.

regular light roast coffees have more acidity than the medium or dark roast. I have been a heavy coffee drinker since oooo 12yrs old. Late 20s it started irritating my stomach a little so I found coffees with less acidity. So switching to Columbian helped. Also love sumatra, costa rican peaberry.... Do you have a Trader Joe's? They have a lot of good coffees with good prices. French Roast really messes me up so probably stay away from that as well as the super dark roasts. btw, I drink my coffee black which makes me a little more aware of the different in tastes and roasts.

Try this site http://ineedcoffee.com/07/coffee-style/

Hopefully you don't have to give up your coffee :crying:

I have some IBS-like symptoms, no real diagnosis though. And coffee, depending on strength, certainly irritates things. I can drink it, but I need to stay sort of near a bathroom for awhile...:001_huh:

Jami

Yes, but so far only when I'm pg, & only w/ the last 2 pg's. However, I have a neighbor who used to drink it in college & now (around 30) can't. It bothers her stomach. A lot!

So...I'm hoping that's just her, not an age thing. :001_huh:

And, fwiw, the *way* it bothers her stomach (& mine when pg) seems far worse than what you've described. ;)

I have to agree with the person who said coffee is good. However, it's not my friend:glare:

My gastro guy told me to cut back to between 6-16 oz. of coffee (if I could, I should give it up), because it aggravates peoples stomachs. I guess they did a bunch of studies, and found that whether it is full test or decaf, there is some component of coffee that is really irritating. He did say Sanka seems to be safe.

I never was much of a coffee drinker until a few years ago. Even then it was decaf. Then I started getting heartburn - which I'd never had except when pregnant. Then it started to get worse, and I realized it was the coffee. So, I don't drink it anymore. Which isn't all bad, because it liked to make me really have to pee! :D

I guess they did a bunch of studies, and found that whether it is full test or decaf, there is some component of coffee that is really irritating. He did say Sanka seems to be safe.

I don't know any of the brand names off hand, but there is coffee available that has that chemical/ingredient (whatever it is) removed. It's not cheap though. However, I guess if you were a die hard coffee drinker, it would be worth the extra expense.