Menu

My kid has finally learned...

...that if you don't dawdle and buckle down and do your work, it gets done really fast. She is just 8, and a terrible dawdler (her imagination is way better than reality!), and all year it's been a struggle to get her to just do her work and get it done.

Now that the school year is almost over and Thursday is our last day, she has been cheerfully sitting down with her work and saying "I'm going to do it now so I can play more with my friend!" Then she's done by, like, 10 am.

She has learned it just in time for summer--and $50 says that by fall she will have forgotten this simple fact of life. :lol: :glare:

My son, at 9, is exactly the same way. Oh my goodness, so much wasted time with the dawdling and squirming around and complaining about how long it takes... and then a light bulb about a week ago. Like you, I fear that by the time we begin next year he will have forgotten it again!:tongue_smilie:

Mine has been opposite. She started out great and has gotten progressively slower as the year winds down. We are on task 3 and it's been 4 hours. These are minor assignments and all 3 should be done and over with- preferably 3 hours ago. :glare:

:willy_nilly:

Hopefully next fall will be better! We school through the summer, albeit lightly. I am definitely taking a week or so off early June though- we need a lounge week to :chillpill:.

This is why I've always had a checklist of work to do each day for the kids to see. We don't school by time, like math for 30 minutes. We school by assignment and sometimes they get through assignments very quickly. Every time they finish an assignment, they check it off the list. They get to see the blanks filling up fast and know exactly how much more they have left to do. And then when the work is done, the school day is over. This has always been a huge motivator for my children.

My 8 and 10 year old mutinied last night and did ALL their school work after I went to bed.

"We don't need you to teach any more! We just have to read the directions to figure out what to do."

:lol:

:D

:glare:

and so they got a day off.

We'll see if they pull that stunt again tonight.

My 8 and 10 year old mutinied last night and did ALL their school work after I went to bed.

"We don't need you to teach any more! We just have to read the directions to figure out what to do."

:lol:

:D

:glare:

and so they got a day off.

We'll see if they pull that stunt again tonight.

Hey, I could get behind that kind of mutiny!

This is why I've always had a checklist of work to do each day for the kids to see. We don't school by time, like math for 30 minutes. We school by assignment and sometimes they get through assignments very quickly. Every time they finish an assignment, they check it off the list. They get to see the blanks filling up fast and know exactly how much more they have left to do. And then when the work is done, the school day is over. This has always been a huge motivator for my children.

We have checklists too, but it hasn't seemed to be the motivator for my 8yo like it has been for her big sister. Go figure.