Menu

Do we have any Buddhists here?

Dh has been doing some light research on Buddhism, and I've found myself in desperate need of some non-god-believing self-examination, but we have zero resources in our area, unless you count a few scattered UU churches that are still a bit of a distance.

I would love to get some recommended reading!

I'm a Stoic, which is considered by many people to be sort of like a "western Buddhist." This essay, From Zen to Zeno: How I Became a Stoic, might help give you an idea of the basics. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Book recommendations:

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy

On Desire: Why We Want What We Want

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (the free Kindle version, which can be read on the free Kindle app on your computer if you don't have an e-reader)

Not Buddhism, but I appreciate my daily reading in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/365-Tao-Meditations-Ming-Dao-Deng/dp/0062502239/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305599320&sr=8-1

Someone recommended it a couple of years ago on this board, and I'm so glad I bought it. It gives me something to ponder everyday and has helped me be more tranquil and grateful.

I'm a Stoic, which is considered by many people to be sort of like a "western Buddhist." This essay, From Zen to Zeno: How I Became a Stoic, might help give you an idea of the basics. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Book recommendations:

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy

On Desire: Why We Want What We Want

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (the free Kindle version, which can be read on the free Kindle app on your computer if you don't have an e-reader)

I read the first part of the essay, it was very interesting. Thanks for sharing that, I hope more folks have interesting bits to share.

Thanks for asking this Carrie. :)

Yes, I have some recommendations. You can begin reading "The Issue at Hand" on line right now and it starts off with a great story that I often use to summarize Buddhism. Just google "The Issue at Hand." I can never remember the author.

Another great one is "Buddhism Without Beliefs" by Stephen Batchelor. Also anything by Pema Chodron, a fabulous teacher. "The Places that Scare You" and also "Start Where you Are" are often recommended.

And if you want a book for older kids, "A Pebble for My Pocket" (might be "your pocket" by Thich Nhat Hahn is wonderful. There isn't really anything great for little kids because Buddhism is more of a system than a religion so there's nothing really to teach little kids.

Have fun!

Julie

Dh has been doing some light research on Buddhism, and I've found myself in desperate need of some non-god-believing self-examination, but we have zero resources in our area, unless you count a few scattered UU churches that are still a bit of a distance.

I would love to get some recommended reading!

Thanks, I am getting lots of interesting book idea here for myself.

For children to get a spiritual outlook on Buddhism is a little tricky. There is an international buddhism charity from Taiwan I belong to has publishing books for children about buddhism. Most of them are in Mandarin, but I did see some of them printed in both English and Mandarin, in Texas, at least. You can contact your local Tzu-Chi foundation. Most of them have a library of books on buddhism.

I am pretty sure there are more books than the ones are listed on the following web.

http://lab2.us.tzuchi.org/global/home.nsf/resource/tcBooks

My 8-yr-old DD loves reading them and learning about how to be kind to earth and other lives.

Good luck,

My favorite book is Buddhism:Plain and Simple by Steve Hagen. I'm not 100% Buddhist. I take much from that and combine it with what is left from my Christainity. :) I call me a Buddhist Christian but that doesn't really fit either. :) I never seem to fit anywhere, I guess! lol

Have you read the book Living Buddha, Living Christ by Thich Nhat Hanh? I bet you would really enjoy it. It's very beautiful.

And for the OP, his books were always my favorite when I was Buddhist. Every one that I read was wonderful.

For children to get into the essence of it, I'd recommend Zen Shorts, Prince Siddhartha, The Story of Buddha, and while not exactly Buddhist but more culturally Chinese/Taoist, there's The Fourth Question, A Chinese Tale.

My children are Episcopalian/Buddhists. We've had a whole lot of help from both sides of the "aisle" in terms of book selections. While these I've listed are focused on children, even as an adult, I appreciated them. :) Maybe your library will have them!