Menu

Front*Line Flea & Tick Treatment Question for pet owners

I took our pup to the vet to get heartworm pills today. I have always used Heart*guard for Heartworm & Front*Line for fleas and ticks. He said to use Sentinal which does Heartworm and Fleas, but not ticks and he suggested a tick collar. He claimed Frontline is no longer as effective as it used to be. I had bought a couple of packs of the it last time I was at the store. Is there any truth to this or are they doing this because you no longer need a vet to get Front*Line?

I took our pup to the vet to get heartworm pills today. I have always used Heart*guard for Heartworm & Front*Line for fleas and ticks. He said to use Sentinal which does Heartworm and Fleas, but not ticks and he suggested a tick collar. He claimed Frontline is no longer as effective as it used to be. I had bought a couple of packs of the it last time I was at the store. Is there any truth to this or are they doing this because you no longer need a vet to get Front*Line?

I have heard the same form a few different vets about frontline. From a few years back even. But advantage or advantix (not sure which - our dog has been gone for about two years now) was recommended and still had the tick control as well.

We did frontline for the first time last year and it was superb. We've always went the collar route before and they'd pick up ticks like they didn't have it on. Some would be right under the collar :confused: We gave them their first dose a week ago (it snowed only 3wks ago here, so tick seasons is just beginning!) and we'll see how it goes this year.

We used Frontline for the longest time and then it suddenly stopped working. We then switched to K9 Advantix and were happy with that for a while. We are now using Sentinel and Comfortis and have been super pleased with that combination. I am most worried about fleas and least worried about ticks since I would just pull those off myself.

We have noticed that Frontline is not working for our dog now, though it always worked for our dogs/cats before.

We thought it was maybe a difference in quality in what's sold/marketed here in Brazil vs. the US, but this thread makes me wonder.

We've just switched to Advantage; we'll see how that goes. (also our dog is allergic to something, and we think maybe that as her largest break-outs were after dosing......).

Frontline worked here, then didn't. We switched to Advocate (which we order online). That works VERY well (and does many worms too). I was out of Advocate at the beginning of this flea season and sent hubby out to get Frontline. It worked for about a week, then my cats were scratching. I have one who is very allergic to flea bites. He has licked and scratched holes all on himself. I need to get more Advocate or something else.