Menu

Frustrated by the lack of early elementary Catholic options!

WIS0320

I want a program like HOD or MFW (or even SL!) but Catholic and there just isn't one out there. I like the lit heavy schedules and the hand holding they provide. I feel like I am having to pull everything together on my own and after several months of researching and reviewing and ordering and then regretting what I've ordered, I just wish there were something all in one that I could love. I know someone is going to say that at such a young age that Christian is Christian and it shouldn't matter - BUT - it does to me as the parent.

For what it's worth - I've discarded the possibility of CHC, Seton or Kolbe for first grade for various reasons. None seem to be as integrated as I would like and none seem to be as lit heavy as I would like. Seton relies on all book written and published by their school which makes me a bit uneasy. CHC seems pretty light and Kolbe too dry for the early years.

I'm just complaining here. :glare:

I can't identify, because I'm not a box curr. kind of girl. I tweak every curr. I find. Have you looked at Angelicum Academy or St Thomas Aquinas Academy? Or, Have you looked at Connecting With History? It is very lit. heavy, but is not a box curriculum. I incorporate that with SOTW and MODG's idea of illustrating the Bible.

I know many Catholic's that use SL. Can you use SL and tweak what you need to?

I feel for you! It is why I do my own. But you didn't mention Mother of Divine Grace, which can help, at least. It is a lot more lit based than the others, and even if you don't want to use it completely, the book list is really good. MODG is more involved starting in 4th grade, and it jumps again in 6th.

And there is a yahoo group just for Catholic Sonlight users, if you decide to further research that direction. Those ladies are a wonderful resource too.

I have to agree with you for the most part. Seton's samples online were enough to send me running. Plus, I need more than workbooks. CHC is on the easier side, but I do have to say I bought a lot of their curricula for K and absolutely love it all. I can't speak to the 1st grade stuff and I am definitely supplementing CHC (I don't think you can do it as a stand alone).

The closest thing Catholics have to SL is Mater Amabilis. Of course, you don't get the IG, but I don't really think you would need it. I am going to use A LOT of their books.

The only good curricula I know of for history (combinded with good literature) is Connecting with History. I am going to look at it more closely when I go to the Catholic conference next month. I have heard that level 2 is much better than level 1 and the last two levels aren't out yet. I might do SOTW for Ancients since it doesn't have anything objectionable in there. Someone mentioned another program (I think called KIC), but I haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet and don't know the link.

Honestly, I am planning on using Paths of Exploration and the next two years of American history in later elementary so I am going to do world history until then. It is completely neutral as far as religion (according to RR). I will add in appropriate saint stories.

I do have to say that I really like Kolbe Academy. I am planning on enrolling in 1st grade (2012-13). I like their LA and their religion. I will definitely do my own history, science and math (in early elementary), but they are very easy to work with and you can easily substitute what you want. I know that doesn't help you as far as doing a single curriculum, but SL still has you purchase math, science (they do offer that), handwriting, etc seperately. I will already have an instructor's guide with math, etc. I see you are also doing McRuffy Color Math (I love that by the way).

Anyway, I am very sorry to ramble, but this is a topic close to my heart and I completely understand where you are coming from. I actually almost purchased Sonlight this year (P3/4 and Core A), but I had several of the books in each core and had a couple of books in each core that I didn't want to read so I couldn't justify buying the core.

I have been praying about this a lot. It would definitely be easier to HS if I were Protestant, but God gives us all the grace to HS if that is our calling! Best of luck!

Yeah, I haven't been terribly impressed by any of the Catholic programs I've tried.

Do get Maureen Wittmann's excellent book For the Love of Literature: Teaching Core Subjects with Literature. The booklists from Kolbe, Mater Amabilis, Angelicum, and Laura Barquist's DYOCC are helpful as well.

I feel your pain. We used Calvert for our very first year of hs'ing, and I thought it was easier to "Catholicize" the secular curriculum than it would be to deal with the overwrought piety of certain Catholic boxed curricula. We quickly went eclectic, using mostly secular sources.

"overwrought piety"

I love it! That's exactly what I think too.

I have come to really appreciate CHC and you can borrow lots of lit stuff from Mater Amabilis. I think Kolbe is great is older grades but too workbooky for younger ones.

I've never tried Angelicum but I think it definitely would meet the pull it all together for you/lit heavy requirement. And I don't get the overwrought piety vibe from them the same way I do from Seton.

I have been thinking about this post a lot. I felt like I needed to stick up for CHC a little bit. I have bought bits and pieces from them and realized that I ended up buying the entire core K except for MCP math. I have Little Stories for Little Folks (LOVE IT), their handwriting (goes great with LSLF since the words they write come from those stories), Making Music Praying Twice, and their religion course. I have to say that I absolutely love all of it. I wanted to do Astronomy for DS because he wants to be a "spaceman" and that wasn't offered. I also have added in a little extra (history, Critical Thinking Press, AAS, etc). However, their core materials are just right for K IMHO. Now, I obviously can't speak to their first grade materials, but I will definitely use quite a bit of it next year. Honestly, I think that CHC and adding in some of the reading from Mater Amabilis is a great combo for early elementary!!!!

The closest thing Catholics have to SL is Mater Amabilis. Of course, you don't get the IG, but I don't really think you would need it. I am going to use A LOT of their books.

The only good curricula I know of for history (combinded with good literature) is Connecting with History. I am going to look at it more closely when I go to the Catholic conference next month. I have heard that level 2 is much better than level 1 and the last two levels aren't out yet. I might do SOTW for Ancients since it doesn't have anything objectionable in there. Someone mentioned another program (I think called KIC), but I haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet and don't know the link.

Honestly, I am planning on using Paths of Exploration and the next two years of American history in later elementary so I am going to do world history until then. It is completely neutral as far as religion (according to RR). I will add in appropriate saint stories.

I do have to say that I really like Kolbe Academy. I am planning on enrolling in 1st grade (2012-13). I like their LA and their religion. I will definitely do my own history, science and math (in early elementary), but they are very easy to work with and you can easily substitute what you want. I know that doesn't help you as far as doing a single curriculum, but SL still has you purchase math, science (they do offer that), handwriting, etc seperately. I will already have an instructor's guide with math, etc. I see you are also doing McRuffy Color Math (I love that by the way).

Anyway, I am very sorry to ramble, but this is a topic close to my heart and I completely understand where you are coming from. I actually almost purchased Sonlight this year (P3/4 and Core A), but I had several of the books in each core and had a couple of books in each core that I didn't want to read so I couldn't justify buying the core.

I have been praying about this a lot. It would definitely be easier to HS if I were Protestant, but God gives us all the grace to HS if that is our calling! Best of luck!

I think we are in the same boat, I just happen to be a year ahead of you. I chose to do a very light K year, just focusing mainly on getting my kiddo to read and basic math as she was on the younger side for K.

I have looked at every single program linked and I like parts of all of them, but none in their entirety. I like Kolbe too, but I seem to really like Kolbe for 4th grade + and that is pretty far down the line for us at this point. I also have drooled over Paths of Exploration but it is a bit too old for us for next year. I want to just order a set of plans with all the books included and love it and just go with it! We are actually starting with American History for 1st and 2nd grade for many reasons, though I did just reread a good portion of WTM and I just have to say that now I am confused all over again.

Not only do I want an open and go curriculum that is Catholic, affordable, lit heavy, I also want to just fall in love with a pedagogy and stop all this internal drama. I *wish* I could just be CM, or WTM or Waldorf, or whatever and stick with it. I tend to be eclectic and I think that is creating an awful lot of confusion. Just don't even get me started about science. This is probably why I am yearning for some sort of boxed curriculum that I love and adore that would simplify things.

And then I tell myself.... it is only going to be first grade. Relax! What can possibly go wrong if we continue to make strides in reading, writing and math?!

I've looked and looked at this but the reviews of the ability of the school to ship and reply and serve their patrons in a timely manner is pretty awful. I would hate to jump in and get incredibly frustrated due to poor staffing issues. I don't know, maybe I should just ignore the bad reviews? I know the old saying is, "Love it, tell one person, hate it and tell 10 people.".

Not only do I want an open and go curriculum that is Catholic, affordable, lit heavy, I also want to just fall in love with a pedagogy and stop all this internal drama. I *wish* I could just be CM, or WTM or Waldorf, or whatever and stick with it. I tend to be eclectic and I think that is creating an awful lot of confusion. Just don't even get me started about science. This is probably why I am yearning for some sort of boxed curriculum that I love and adore that would simplify things.

And then I tell myself.... it is only going to be first grade. Relax! What can possibly go wrong if we continue to make strides in reading, writing and math?!

I could have posted this myself, except that I'm looking at Kindergarten and gulp, seventh grades.

Kim

Wait! I just remembered an excellent resource! It's the curriculum guide for St. Jerome CLassical school. Stjerome.org/stjeromeschool/classical education.htm. There's supposed to be an underscore between classical and education.

I think we are in the same boat, I just happen to be a year ahead of you. I chose to do a very light K year, just focusing mainly on getting my kiddo to read and basic math as she was on the younger side for K.

I have looked at every single program linked and I like parts of all of them, but none in their entirety. I like Kolbe too, but I seem to really like Kolbe for 4th grade + and that is pretty far down the line for us at this point. I also have drooled over Paths of Exploration but it is a bit too old for us for next year. I want to just order a set of plans with all the books included and love it and just go with it! We are actually starting with American History for 1st and 2nd grade for many reasons, though I did just reread a good portion of WTM and I just have to say that now I am confused all over again.

:iagree: I am starting to think we were seperated at birth. Maybe we should design and sell our own curriculum. :tongue_smilie:

Here is another option that looks pretty good:

http://www.staacademy.com/index.htm

We do not use it, just stumbled on it one day.

I don't use it either, but I always think it looks like the school with the most resources in common with what I already use.

I doubt there would ever be something using everything I want to use, but I do sometimes wish there were something I could be happy with.

Although they probably wouldn't be terribly useful for anyone but me, I'd be happy to pass on a copy of my 5th, 3rd, or 1st grade plans, if anyone wants them. Just PM me.

You're not the only one. I complained about it in my blog last week. It only gets worse as they get older.

If you don't mind, Evlogia, a Eastern Orthodox blog has some great ideas learned from going through the journey of homeschooling with some of the same problems.