Menu

Okay, gals, so I'm looking for your BEST homeschool organizational advice

Once we get to Raleigh, I'll be setting up shop and want to get our return to homeschool off on the right foot. I'm particularly interested in those things that you do that help your middle school and high school students take responsibility for their own work.

Do you use crates, folders, baskets, etc.? Do they set their own schedule, calendar? What do you do about lost books? (Two of mine are continually losing their books. Looking at my kids, any guesses which two?)

I'm energized and SO thankful to be able to bring them back home!

We started a workbox plan with a set of plastic drawers on wheels when ds was about 13. He really likes it. I also have kept a bookshelf, in the kitchen, with current materials, books and references complete with a globe and scale on top.

We started a workbox plan with a set of plastic drawers on wheels when ds was about 13. He really likes it. I also have kept a bookshelf, in the kitchen, with current materials, books and references complete with a globe and scale on top.

I know the workboxes have been discussed pretty extensively, so I don't want to recreate the wheel. Do you have a good link that explains it? I think when you all started talking about this I was thick in my adoption bubble and couldn't even think about it. I'm ready to think now! :)

Desk Apprentice from Staples. One per child. EVERYTHING for school goes in it. Portable and plenty of room for all the needed supplies.

:iagree:

Love my Desk Apprentice. We have daily folders in the center so I have two weeks worth of work at hand at all times. When we finish a day I put the folder at the back and start filling it with the worksheets and to do lists. I use Homeschool Tracker + to organize the lessons and to do lists.

If I get much further than two weeks out there is too much potential for having to reschedule.

I know the workboxes have been discussed pretty extensively, so I don't want to recreate the wheel. Do you have a good link that explains it? I think when you all started talking about this I was thick in my adoption bubble and couldn't even think about it. I'm ready to think now! :)

Everyone seems to work it out a little differently. For the older kids it's almost just a place to keep together the things needed for each subject. Younger kids you can leave the days work in each box, maybe a fun something that relates or a sticker or prize for the end of the subject. Or a math sheet instead of a whole book. It all ends up organized for the day or week. In with the math book can be the calculator and other math tools/ pencils/etc. A coloring page can be in the the history book. I rambling. Ask more questions and we'll answer the specifics. :)

We do workboxes as work-folders which takes less room. I printed out 12 cards, numbered 1-12, attach 1 card to each folder via Velcro, and place pages pulled from workbooks into appropriately labeled hanging folder. When that subject has been completed, the dc move the number to the grid on the outside of the hanging folder bin. We have dropped the prize/reward plan for the benefit of getting done with school earlier.

I am SOOO buying the Desk Apprentice! I love it!

We started doing the filing system rather than workboxes this year and I love it! We are using pee-chees rather than hanging files though. I have the pee chees labeled Day 1-Day 5. One side's pocket is individual work and one side is labeled class work. They love the fact that they have access to their individual work at the beginning of the day and usually have it finished before "school time." I have been using 2 magazine boxes each. One I store the 4 days of pee-chees we are not on and any books or notebooks we don't need that day. The other magazine box has the books/textbooks they need that day along with that day's pee-chee. Although now I want to use the Desk Apprentice!

Everyone seems to work it out a little differently. For the older kids it's almost just a place to keep together the things needed for each subject. Younger kids you can leave the days work in each box, maybe a fun something that relates or a sticker or prize for the end of the subject. Or a math sheet instead of a whole book. It all ends up organized for the day or week. In with the math book can be the calculator and other math tools/ pencils/etc. A coloring page can be in the the history book. I rambling. Ask more questions and we'll answer the specifics. :)

:iagree: This is how our workboxes function right now. It's super great for my ADHD dd who looses everything constantly. Initially we had to tie consequences to her not putting a pencil & subject back in labeled workbox.

When I pack to move my plan is to load each kid's set of workboxes in advance, pack it (all the plastic set of drawers) whole in a big box with colored coded duck tape.

Arrival at the new place would be 5 boxes for the schoolroom, remove the cardboard and voila, instant school!