Menu

English Springer Spaniel owners...

Have you heard of Springer Rage? Do you know of or have any experiences with a Springer who has it? We are thinking about a Springer puppy and the info I've read on this subject is scary. I can't seem to find any estimates about how common it is. Any owners research this before getting a Springer have advice to give?

Shannon

It is a devastating thing to have to deal with and I only know of one client who successfully lives with a springer with rage syndrome.

Check with your breeder, they should def. be familiar and it has shown to be bred into certain lines so they should be able to let you know if any of her lines have it.

If I see 50 springers at work, maybe 1 would have rage syndrome. I have seen it in pet store bred springers most often. It is very difficult to live and deal with as you just do not know what will set them off. You cannot train it out of them no matter how good of a owner that you are and for most people the safest thing to do is euthanize if your dog develops it.

With that said talk to you breeder and i would still gladly own a springer. they are great dogs!

I had never heard of springer rage before, but I just want to chime in with a plug for springers. I have a springer/border collie mix, but she looks (and acts) more like a springer than a BC. We joke that she got the worst of both breeds, but that isn't really true. This dog has the most amazing vertical leap, though, and she has developed a taste for butter. Yes, butter. If we leave butter on the counter when we leave the house, we will come home to find the cabinets apparently untouched, but a clean (and untorn) butter wrapper on the floor. She will be lying around looking like she doesn't feel well, and a few hours later, she will vomit a pool of yellow gunk. It's disgusting, but it is just as amazing that she can unwrap the butter without tearing the paper. I could leave hamburgers or chicken on the counter, and she will leave them alone, but butter seems to call her name.

Another example of her soft mouth: She also recently removed a banana from a backpack that was on the floor and moved it into another room, without disturbing any of the other contents or bruising the banana. I know the banana was totally fine, as I ate it the next day.

We didn't choose this dog but took her from a relative who had no place to keep her, but she's been a fun addition to our family.

Terri

I had never heard of springer rage before, but I just want to chime in with a plug for springers. I have a springer/border collie mix, but she looks (and acts) more like a springer than a BC. We joke that she got the worst of both breeds, but that isn't really true. This dog has the most amazing vertical leap, though, and she has developed a taste for butter. Yes, butter. If we leave butter on the counter when we leave the house, we will come home to find the cabinets apparently untouched, but a clean (and untorn) butter wrapper on the floor. She will be lying around looking like she doesn't feel well, and a few hours later, she will vomit a pool of yellow gunk. It's disgusting, but it is just as amazing that she can unwrap the butter without tearing the paper. I could leave hamburgers or chicken on the counter, and she will leave them alone, but butter seems to call her name.

Another example of her soft mouth: She also recently removed a banana from a backpack that was on the floor and moved it into another room, without disturbing any of the other contents or bruising the banana. I know the banana was totally fine, as I ate it the next day.

We didn't choose this dog but took her from a relative who had no place to keep her, but she's been a fun addition to our family.

Terri

I had to laugh! This is all off topic from my original questions but----our Border Collie mix does the same thing with butter. It's gross. However, he moved on to other foods. I now have to scan the kitchen before I leave the house and make sure everything is put away. He never steals any food if I am home--even if I am rooms away from him for a few hours. We adopted him at around 8 months old and he came with the name "Bandit". I know why!! Still he's a sweet dog in all other respects and he seems to think the sun rises and sets on me, me, me. I'm his person no question about it. See attached photo and you'll know why I'm also attached to him. We are thinking about adding a third dog to our home and I was concerned about Bandit. I had a breeder tell me to just get rid of him and that would solve my problem. I opted to get rid of her and never bothered to even look at her puppies.

post-2427-1353508484317_thumb.jpg

post-2427-1353508484317_thumb.jpg

Yes, I've heard of springer rage. There seems to be some disagreement as to whether it is a seizure disorder or is a result of an overly dominant dog. I would suggest that you look for a female puppy because most springer rage is diagnosed in male dogs. Also look for a puppy who is submissive (shows you his belly) instead of trying to jump up to put his paws on you or to "hump" you. I've also been told that springers who are neglected and left alone too much are more prone to this. The problem is (as you probably know from reading the literature) is that there isn't agreement on causes, so it's hard to know how to avoid it 100%.

Our female dog is totally submissive and is the farthest from a "raging" dog that you can imagine. Our male dog, however, was starting to be a problem. He was extremely dominant toward the children when they were smaller and I had to watch him very carefully. I was the only one allowed to take him on walks, to crate him, etc. for quite a while because I was the only one who he would not try to dominate. Also- when he was young, he was so hyper that I didn't keep him with us as much. I've had to work very diligently with him in the last two years and he's calmed down and is now with us for a big chunk of the day. That has made a big difference in his dominance issues.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

I had a breeder tell me to just get rid of him and that would solve my problem. I opted to get rid of her and never bothered to even look at her puppies.

What a horrible thing to suggest!

I had never considered that it might be the BC in her that is attracted to the butter. Hmmm, something to ponder!

The other bad thing our dog does is chew the spines off of books. Randomly. You never know which book she will choose, and she'll go a couple of months between books, but so far, she's chewed three Bibles (heathen dog!), 2 Harry Potters, and an assortment of smaller books. Maybe the binding glue tastes like butter.

Terri

I will praise Springer's til the day I die!!!:) I love this breed, I grew up with Springers & most of my relatives had Springers. They have all been wonderful dogs. The first dog my husband & I got together was a female Springer. We now have a 4 yr. old male cocker/cavalier & a 4 mo. old Springer male.

I have heard of Springer rage. I don't think it's common. There was one Springer that I know of that may have had it (never diagnosed) but he was aggressive. Unlike any other Springer I have seen, but he also was inbred.

My experience with them has always been great. Smart, sweet, loyal, lovely dogs. Easily trained, great with kids. I could go on & on!!:lol:

My in-laws adopted a springer pup once. It snapped at MIL multiple times and growled at dh who was like 5 at the time and MIL was expecting. It only liked FIL. They had to take it back to the breeder since MIL was afraid for her baby. That being said, they have had three others without problems. And, my BIL has two with no problems. We have a mix who is jumpy and goofy, but he's a good boy. We are a springer family. They are gentle family dogs- but do need a firm hand when it comes to jumping since they like to "spring" on people. (In-laws not good about that and I've gotten scratched multiple times by their exuberance - the dogs not the in-laws, that is.)

Yes, the butter thing.

Yes, the 'springing' on people. (Ours has gotten to the point where he tries to jump up, balance on his back legs, and lean forward to lick the kids faces when they come home. Adults he just jumps on. He figures they can take it.)

No, I haven't heard of Springer rage, or known anyone who's had to deal with that. The one story I read before answering this question seemed like a description of a complex partial seizure. My son has epilepsy and has had a few of them. It affects the way you sense things and your memory. There can even be hallucinatory sights, sounds, or smells when its coming on. I'm sure that would be very confusing to an animal.

Our springer is very protective, but very submissive inside the family.