Menu

Best Learning DVDs/edutainment? Yes, including the FROG

warriormom

I know edutainment is looked down upon by many. I would think the same thing if it had not been for a Talking frog teaching my son basic phonics at 3 years old! Yes, I am a HUGE fan of Leapfrog's Letter Factory, Word Factory etc.

So what is your favorite learning DVD? Is it as good as "the frog":)? Any other edutainment (apps, computer games, CDs etc.) that taught your child well/support to what you are already teaching them? Do YOU love it? Feel free to elaborate.

I love reading to my child. I love teaching him. I just know he enjoys edutainment :tongue_smilie:

The Oregon Trail cd game. I don't know if you would consider Dance Mat Typing from the BBC to be edutainment or not. Other things my daughter (now age 10) has liked or likes: Horrible Histories videos, Mi Vida Loca on BBC website, Hooda Math. We also use a lot of travel videos for geography.

Edited by KarenNC

My girls love the Eyewitness, Magic Schoolbus and Liberty Kids dvds.

:iagree:

and big fans of "The Frog". He'll be re-entering our house with the coming school year for my youngest and then he will retire...

My kids have enjoyed the Jump Start Cds too.

Have you checked out the Rock 'N Learn DVD's. We have 4 of those and really like them. Keep in mind that the music is a little loud though :tongue_smilie:. Adrian also got a lot of use out of the Clifford (put out by Scholastic) software. Adrian liked those so much we purchased all five. He is past those now so I am saving them for my little guy. Adrian now uses Singapore's Rainbow Rock software and we will be getting Vroot and Vroom next.

I know edutainment is looked down upon by many. I would think the same thing if it had not been for a Talking frog teaching my son basic phonics at 3 years old! Yes, I am a HUGE fan of Leapfrog's Letter Factory, Word Factory etc.

So what is your favorite learning DVD? Is it as good as "the frog":)? Any other edutainment (apps, computer games, CDs etc.) that taught your child well/support to what you are already teaching them? Do YOU love it? Feel free to elaborate.

I love reading to my child. I love teaching him. I just know he enjoys edutainment :tongue_smilie:

My kids are tactile/ visual learners and I don't have a problem adding in whatever works for them regardless of what others think ;). Adrian was putting together puzzles and putting together letters to make words using computer software before turning three. We just monitored the length of time that he used them. Other than that, I don't have any problem spending whatever I need to to make my kids' learning more enjoyable :D.

I love Starfall.com for my toddlers and preschoolers.

I also seem to fall on PBS Sprout cartoons more than any other station. We love Word World, Dinosaur Train, Super Why, Sid the Science Kid, etc.

I also recently came across the Kid's Free section on our Verizion On Demand. They have have a large selection of short Scholastic cartoons that are based on famous children's books. Today my girls got a kick out of seeing The Scrambled STates of America come alive after we've been reading it. They also have How Much is A Million, Zin Zin A Violin, Danny and The Dinosaur, Duck for President, Dem Bones, How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight, etc. Those are just a few we have watched. They have tons on there. All free!!