Menu

my eyes! my eyes!

I can't post about this on Facebook, so I'm expressing my melodramatic tsk-tsking here. After my niece (age 15) posted something about what she's doing "2marro," her friend responded by saying, "&& your gonna be width meh." This is pretty typical of how the teens I know who are on Facebook (all relatives) and their friends speak online.

How are these kids going to communicate in the workplace? How many kittens and other cute creatures are going to have to die because of the continued assault on language? Will the carnage never end?

Edited by WordGirl

I have to think at least some degree of it is just for effect. My 18-year old niece does the same thing on her FB page. She's graduating from high school in a couple of weeks and passed the state tests for TX so I'm assuming she must have some degree of intelligence that she's just not showing on FB. It bugs the crud out of me though to read her posts.

I'm young, and I don't get it either. Honestly, I think it would take *WAY* more trouble to type like that than to just use correct spelling, at minimum...especially with so many phones having autocorrect. :glare: So, I completely don't get it.

I'm fairly certain that with a lot of kids, it's something they can turn on and off. ...I hope.

My niece HATES when I correct her FB posts but I always do. Drives me nuts!!

Kianna has a cell phone and some of the texts she gets from her friends are the same way. She has a full sentence rule for texting so we check her phone every week to make sure she is following rules and to see what she's up to!

Kianna has a cell phone and some of the texts she gets from her friends are the same way. She has a full sentence rule for texting so we check her phone every week to make sure she is following rules and to see what she's up to!

That is awesome!:thumbup1:

I've not corrected anyone, yet, but I've sure thought about it.

I do, however, correct spelling on my dc's texts. I make them type the word correctly 3 times in a reply. :D

I let them have it. As long as they can spell correctly in real life, and they can- in fact ds has corrected his teachers several times- I don't mind what they do in their teen speak. I try to be careful of criticising the younger generation for their idiosynchracies, as every generation seems to do that as we lose touch with what it was like to be a teen ourselves. There is some interesting creativity in their text languaging that I enjoy sometimes.

But then, I don't have illiterate children.

I text and post like that on my FB. (2morrow, 2nite, peeps, ttyl/s ect.) But one thing I can't stand is when people write ma instead of my. (Goin out wit ma girls 2nite) If you are using the same amount of letters for any given word than you should most def. spell the word correctly;)

I think our minds just work to fast for our hands. I don't give a crap about gram. usage or mechanics on social networks (such as this one) though.

However, I do understand your frustration, as I have seen some post where people had to go out of their way to shorten their sentences and it does come across super awkward.

I honestly can't stand that slang, cutesy stuff. Believe it or not, I actually correct my children's spelling and grammar mistakes on facebook.

This whole thread needs to be prefaced with "You know you homeschool when..."

Really, I think the kids are writing with an accent sometimes. It's a way of writing down how they hear the other kids speak. Just like in some books the characters speak with an accent of some sort, and we, of course, (being homeschool moms) read these stories aloud with that accent, and with different voices.

If I had any evidence that the majority of the young people who use text-speak like this, not just abbreviations, can communicate intelligibly when they want or need to, I might find it less troubling. (And I don't homeschool currently, though I don't see what that has to do with it.)

Edited by WordGirl

Oh I was just complaining to dh about this. OK, these are some teenagers but also some ADULTS using these words

ensaine (based on the context I'm assuming insane)

meh (guess thats pretty common)

yeap

entil (until)

enternet (internet)

pomes (poems?)

wright (write)

lison (listen)

:001_huh: Ok, now these are from high school seniors, college students AND adults :001_huh:-- All products of public schools though. People call ME weird for homeschooling??? I like being weird!