Menu

Apologia Astronomy for 5.5 year-old?

Guest RecumbentHeart

Don't forget that you can pick up the Intellego Astronomy unit study (for K and up) free today from the Homeschool Buyers Co-Op Smartpoints Vendor Hall after picking up their 500 smartpoint giveaway.

It might be a little much for him at that age. I haven't looked into the Junior Notebooks, so I'm not sure how in depth they go, so take it FWIW, but it does get rather in depth in many parts, and it would probably be overkill at his age.

I was afraid it would be too much for him, but it looks like fun ... sounds like it would be better saved for when he's older.

I'll check out the recommendations given ... one resource we have loved which is more literary than scientific is Douglas Florian's "Comets, Stars, the Moon, and Mars" book of space poems. Any others that have hit the sweet spot?

Love these!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Stars-H-Rey/dp/0547132808/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304882815&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Find-Constellations-H-Rey/dp/054713178X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304882815&sr=8-2

(this one especially)

We like to check them out from the library periodically (many good libraries will have them). My son loved them even as a toddler. We may be a bit nerdy over here though...

We're just finishing this up. I did it for my 5th and 2nd graders, but my kindergartener chose to participate every time. It was her favorite part of our school year. She really liked the projects. Some of it did go over her head and I sometimes had to stop and explain things in a simpler way, but she learned so much. I'm amazed by how much she's retained and can discuss. I did try to get some simpler books every week that were more interesting to her. We didn't do the notebooks; just some lapbook things that we're doing as a review.

I was thinking about doing it with my DD (5.5) until I got to look at it in person this weekend. I think she could handle it as a tag-along with an older sibling, but since she's my oldest I'm waiting on it. It's VERY in depth with lots of vocabulary and lots of small words on each page.

DK Eyewittness Space DVDs! Totally fab!

Get him a pair of bionoculars and go look at the stars with a glow in the dark constellations book.

I also second Real Science Odyssey Earth and Space.

DK Eyewittness Space DVDs! Totally fab!

Get him a pair of bionoculars and go look at the stars with a glow in the dark constellations book.

I also second Real Science Odyssey Earth and Space.

These are the books I'm using for our Space study this upcoming year. I think Apologia would be above her head. JMO.

• Mission to Mars (Lets Read and Find Out)
  • What the Moon is Like (Lets Read and Find Out)
  • The International Space Station (Lets Read and Find Out)
  • The Sun: Our Nearest Star by Franklyn Mansfield Branley
  • What the Moon Is Like by Franklyn Mansfield Branley
  • Why Does the Elephant Need the Sun? by Robert E Wells
  • The Moon Book by Gail Gibbons
  • Is There Life in Outer Space (lets read and find out)
  • The Planets in Our Solar System (Lets Read and Find out)
  • The Big Dipper (Lets Read and Find Out)
  • Eclipse: Darkness in Daytime (Lets Read and Find Out)
  • The Moon Seems to Change (Lets Read and Find Out)
  • Journey into a Black Hole (Lets Read and Find Out)
  • The Magic School Bus Lost in the Solar System by Joanna Cole
  • One Small Square, The Night Sky by Donald Silver
  • Stars: All Aboard Science Reader Station Stop 1 by Jennifer Dussling
  • Comets, stars, the Moon, and Mars : space poems and paintings by Douglas Florian
  • The Planets by Gail Gibbons
  • Galaxies by Gail Gibbons
  • Star Gazers by Gail Gibbons
  • If you Decide to Go to the Moon by Faith McNulty
  • The Magic School Bus takes a Moon Walk
  • Space Songs by Myra Cohn
  • The Earth, Planet Number Three by Franklyn Mansfield Branley
  • Magic School Bus Sees Stars
  • Magic Bus: Out of this World
  • The Nine Planets by Franklyn Mansfield Branley
  • Can you Hear a Shout In Space by Melvin Berger
  • Do Stars Have Point? by Melvin Berger
  • Were Are the Stars During the Day by Melvin Berger

Thank you all for the insight & the resource suggestions -- and that extensive book list! several of which are current favorites, so I'll have to check out the rest. I've been avoiding Real Science for some reason (not a good one -- some subliminal dislike) but will head over there with an open mind. And my library did have the H.A. Rey books, so they're on request for us now ...

thank you again! -- ana

I know most have said it would be too much for that age, but I wanted to chime in and say that my son loved it! We started the book in the fall before he turned 6 that winter, so - granted - he was closer to six. But it was, in no way, too much for him. It is going to depend so much on the child and the child's interests and abilities.

I pulled the book off the shelf the other day, thinking about selling it and DS wanted to keep it and read again. When he opened it up he said, "Oh, yeah. I remember studying this book." And I know he retained the information, because we play an astronomy trivia game and he always beats me!

I know most have said it would be too much for that age, but I wanted to chime in and say that my son loved it! We started the book in the fall before he turned 6 that winter, so - granted - he was closer to six. But it was, in no way, too much for him. It is going to depend so much on the child and the child's interests and abilities.

I pulled the book off the shelf the other day, thinking about selling it and DS wanted to keep it and read again. When he opened it up he said, "Oh, yeah. I remember studying this book." And I know he retained the information, because we play an astronomy trivia game and he always beats me!

:iagree: I am using it with a 7yo too but my 5.5 yo is the one who always wants to keep going. He has also retained surprisingly well. I believe that is because he had an interest and requested astronomy. It definitely depends on the child but maybe don't write it off completely.

My son was 5-1/2 when we started it, and he LOVES it (we're almost done now). He's retained virtually everything we've learned. I've had each of the kids (ages 4, 5, and 7) keep their own notebook (DS3 just hangs out). After we do the chapter as story time, we put the chapter questions on the board and discuss the answers. Then DD7 writes 4-5 sentences about the planet we learned about. DS5 dictates 3-4 sentences, and DD4 dictates 1-3 sentences. Then we do some kind of art project to make a picture of the planet. I've tried to make each project different and that has been a BLAST. So, I really think if they're really interested and very much into science, it's no problem at all!