Menu

What can I do with dogs for science for a month?

We're changing modes and going to do May Term after all. (I thought we were going to keep going with your geography, oh well.) It looks like it's turning into a dog theme. I have dogs in art through history, dog applique (sewing), and now I need dog science. What would that be, and how would we accomplish it? Any suggestions? This can be fun. No cost, just library, internet, and things around the house. Any ideas? Maybe something veterinary? I know she was into cat psychology before. Maybe something like that with dogs?

And is there any fun dog MATH that is out of the box? I was looking at the Theonni Pappas books. She loves "Number Devil" so something in that vein, only with *dogs* would be perfect.

We're going to the dogs around here...

Di-section?

*It's probably important to note my 10 month old puppy just peed on the basement floor and that might be colouring my answer.:angry:

Oh mercy, that would ruin my dog lover's day. :(

But a good answer otherwise!

Well my dog bit me yesterday (totally my fault), so ds learned about first aid. :glare:

I would see if you can tour a local vet office. I would discuss what vaccines do for pets and what other diseases they can get. That might get sad, depends on how technical you want to get.

In the realistic realm I would talk about dog safety, how to approach an unfriendly dog, what to do if you feel threatened by a dog, etc. What the different body language of a dog means.

Maybe watch some dog whisperer.

Discuss what qualities wild animals have in common with domesticated dogs. There's an article in the March issue of National Geographic about domesticating foxes in Siberia.

You could also research breeds to see which would be most compatible in different lifestyles. We used to have this great book when I worked at the vet, can't remember the name, but it was wonderful for detailing the attributes of different breeds. I think it was put out by the AKC.

You could turn into a math game by saving some money to donate to an animal protection charity.

You could call your theme "We've gone to the dogs!" As you can tell I'm having too much fun with your ideas.

My girls became fascinated domestication. A group in Russia domesticated silver foxes in a careful genetic experiment. And there's been lots of studies comparing the behavior of wolves and domesticated dogs, including wolf and dog puppies that were raised in similar environments. We watched some videos about it from Netflix then my older dd did lots of reading about both studies.

And assuming you have a dog, there are lots of dog science projects: you can culture saliva to see whose mouth is cleaner (yours or your dog's), you can bake dog treats to see what your dog prefers (my dd designed an experiment and baked dog biscuits with different flavors and crunchiness then graphed her results)

Edited by Karen in CO

There is a great series called Dogs 101 which zeros in on different breeds, discussing temperament, breed standards, environment that its suited for, care required, and more. Its on Animal Planet.

Ooo, I've heard of that!

Rebecca-Dog IQ tests? That's hilarious, lol!

STEM-Thanks for the link! :)

You could go to a dog show/obedience trial, lure coursing trial for the sighthound group, a tracking trial for the scent hound group, an agility trial for the super energized breeds. Possibly find a copy of the televised AKC Nation Dog Show that is an annual event in New York City, I think.

I am into Angora rabbits. Rabbits have an entire book on color genetics. It is possible there is something similar with dogs.