Menu

Hummus reciepe

I used to make a good, humus-style dip for my boys. Let's see...I used a jar of artichoke hearts (probably drained...maybe reserve the juice in case you want to add some back in later...I can't remember if I used the juice or not), a can of chickpeas (drained), crushed garlic, olive oil...probably salt and pepper...

I'm going to try to make some this weekend and see if I can figure it out again.

Mine's very simple: Can of chickpeas, drained but reserve the liquid to use in getting the right consistency later;crushed garlic to taste, olive oil (about a Tablespoon),soy sauce to taste, lemon juice to taste and about 2T of tahini. Put all into a food processor and voila. Add reserved chickpea liquid to get desired consistency. You can leave out the olive oil and then sprinkle on top too.

Edited by OLG
Forgot an ingredient!

I use a recipe from Cook's Illustrated (from The New Best Recipe):

1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed (I grate it with a microplane)

3/4 tsp salt

pinch of cayenne

3 tbsp lemon juice (make sure to use the real stuff)

1/4 cup tahini*

1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil

1/4 c. water

Process everything in a food processor until smooth. Chill at least 30 minutes to let flavors meld.

If you're less lazy than me, you can also soak dried chickpeas, and the end result is even creamier.

*The brand of tahini can really make a difference. I've been using Eastwind tahini, and I've been happy with it. Once I made the mistake of buying a brand that came in a can, and the hummus was decidedly inferior. Sorry, I haven't experimented with many brands but just wanted to give everyone a head's up about that.

It is best to used dried chickpeas rather than canned. The canned texture will never be as good. And don't cook to mush.

I tip I learned from cooking with Arab women when I was in college (and they were visiting their children from their homes in the middle east) was, once cooked, place the chickpeas in a big bowl under a lightly running faucet in the sink.

Rub the chickpeas lightly between open palms and the "skins" will separate and float off with the running water. Makes a much better texture when you remove the skins before you grind the hummus.

Most use lemon juice to sour, and the bottled stuff (believe it or not) is very popular. I use fresh, but people I know who are very "authentic" use the big bottles of lemon juice. I have also known people to add a pinch of citric acid I'df they want more "sour" without adding more moisture.

Bill

I tip I learned from cooking with Arab women ...

The [one and only] Arab woman I know who makes hummus also said cumin is a must in authentic hummus. Have you heard this, Bill? We tried it -- and it does seem to make a huge difference!

The [one and only] Arab woman I know who makes hummus also said cumin is a must in authentic hummus. Have you heard this, Bill? We tried it -- and it does seem to make a huge difference!

Very common. Whole seeds are pan roasted in a dry pan (cast iron is perfect) until they begin to release fragrance, being careful not to burn, then cooled and ground.

Garlic is a very controversial ingredient. It is "good" in hummus, but eschewed as inauthentic by many of the Arab cooks I know. I can go either way.

I like zaatar too.

Bill

Very common. Whole seeds are pan roasted in a dry pan (cast iron is perfect) until they begin to release fragrance, being careful not to burn, then cooled and ground.

Garlic is a very controversial ingredient. It is "good" in hummus, but eschewed as inauthentic by many of the Arab cooks I know. I can go either way.

I like Zaatar too. And Sumac can add a nice touch.

Bill

My mom always made hummus so I can't stand the store bought stuff. A friend recently let me try some she made and it tasted the most like what I have had at Middle Eastern friends' houses, and the texture was lovely. Here is her recipe:

Hummus

1 can chickpeas drained or dried chickpeas cooked

1/4 c roasted red peppers or sun dried tomatoes (I use ones packed in oil)

3 T tahini

2 T water

3 T lemon juice

1 T salt (more or less to taste)

1 T cumin

1 clove garlic minced

puree in food processor until well mixed and a paste consistency

very slowly add up to 2 T EVOO as the food processor is running