Menu

pierced ears not healing

my dd got her ears pierced a year ago this week. She is still having problems with one of them. It gets crusty and scabby and oozes white stuff. Gross. But only sometimes. Could it be the earrings? She wears hypoallergenic and likes to change them 2-3 times a week.

What can I do to get this to heal once and for all?

my dd got her ears pierced a year ago this week. She is still having problems with one of them. It gets crusty and scabby and oozes white stuff. Gross. But only sometimes. Could it be the earrings? She wears hypoallergenic and likes to change them 2-3 times a week.

What can I do to get this to heal once and for all?

Are you still cleaning them twice a day? Did the place give you some cleaner to clean them with? Are you certain they are not too tight (my middle daughter had a problem with her earrings at first because she kept tightening them)? If none of that is the problem then I would assume it's the earrings and only use 14k gold.

about 2x a week. They told her she only had to clean them 2x a day for the first 6 weeks and she did that religiously. Now she only cleans when she changes them. We ran out of the stuff they gave us and she's been using either perioxide or alcohol since then. I thought about it being the earrings, but thought that if she had sensitive ears, she would have problems on both sides. I'm going to get her some 14 kt to see if that helps. I just want this ear to heal and get it over with! Her twin sister says she's never getting hers pierced because this has been so much trouble (plus she's terrified of the needle, she wouldn't even watch while sis had hers done!)

Thanks

I had problems with one of my ears. I started cleaning it 2X day in alcohol, and soaking the earrings in alcohol for a few minutes while cleaning my ears. They cleared up pretty quick. I also made sure that my hands were VERY clean before putting the earrings back in.

my dd's ears were horrendous for the first full year. didn't matter what type of earings i put in, what type of cleaner i used.. it just took time. The only thing that seemed to work was leaving the earings out a few days a week. Yes the skin grew back a little on the back but was easily and really not painfully "pierced" with her regular earings by rubbing where the earing was coming through. After about a month of doing this her ears cleared right up and have not had any issues with earings unless she leaves them in for long periods (were talking weeks without changing) then sometimes it gets yucky but clears up within a few days of no earings and just cleaning. I keep buying the ear cleaner because she had such problems at first.

My dd's ears have been the same way! She has had her ears pierced for a year also. One ear had been oozing clear and drying as yours. I had been cleaning with alcohol but I finally decided to remove them. The oozing ear has actually closed after a year. I think it was infected and needed to come out. We may try again later down the road but for now, I'm leaving her ears alone.

Once you get the 14K posts, I would probably leave them in for another 4 to 6 weeks, cleaning them as if they had just been newly pierced.

DD had some issues with hers early on - and I tried this approach when it seemed that the first 6 weeks wasn't long enough. They seem to be good now.

And I think I remember reading on another earring post that you shouldn't use peroxide? I don't remember why though.

One being that she may indeed be reacting to the earrings. Try some very basic gold hoops.

Two, when you try new earrings, have her get a style that do not have the 'butterfly" style back to them. Those are notorious to hold dead skin, oil from the hair and skin, dampness from the shower, and bacteria. They can create a breeding ground for infection. Get a small gold hoop with a click back (don't know the exact name but it a little gold bar with a u-shaped clasp. They are easier to clean and keep clean.

Three, if she takes baths and dips her head under the water, have her make sure to wash her earrings afterwards. Bathtubs have high levels of bacteria. The same is true for any swimming! Fresh water or pools. Always clean the earring first, then remove (clean first so you don't pull bacteria into the ear) and then clean again. Soak earrings in rubbing alcohol for 10 minutes to clean. A quick rinse doesn't kill all types of bacteria.

Four, when she showers, have her purposefully rinse the back of her ears. The shampoo/conditioner can leave a residue that some people can react to if trapped on an earring. If she uses a hair dryer, you may have her hit the back of her ears for a second or two, when she is done drying to make sure the ears are dry, and thus reducing the optimal requirements for bacteria growth.

Five, if she leaves her earrings in all the time, have her start taking them out once a week and cleaning them by soaking for 10 minutes. Not everyone needs to do this but if she is more susceptible that most to infection, it may help to keep the area clean.

I had my ears pierced over 35 years ago and they still do that, to some extent. Apparently, anything less than 24K gold causes an allergic reaction. I've tried everything, to no avail. So, I just don't wear them all the time.

I haven't read all the replies, so I apologize if this is repeated.

My dd has had the same issue - though her's has been going on for almost 3 years (!). I don't know what it is about that one ear, but goodness it is ridiculous. But I remember having the same problem. Anyway, after googling about it not too awfully long ago, I read to use bacitracin (aka Neosporin). So I have been putting a dab on her ear, but I also have been rubbing some on the post so that when it goes in her ear, the Neosporin gets inside as well. It has worked wonders!

Also, the quality of earring is important. I don't buy her earrings from Claire's or the like, so consequently she doesn't have a lot of earrings (hey, they're expensive!). Also we clean them with alcohol.

Hope this helps. Do the Neosporin!!

I had my ears pierced when I was ~8 years old and my mom had to finally take out the earrings and the holes closed. She re-pierced them at least two other times herself using an ice cube and a sterilized needle, but the same problem occured. I was wearing 14k gold earrings. Finally I gave up and used clip ons once in a while, which I removed after a few short hours. When I was in college I found out that some gold has nickel in it, which people are unaware of and nickel causes major allergic reactions in many people. When I tried wearing sterling silver pierced earrings, the problem was solved! Now I only wear sterling silver and never have a problem. I have a cute pair of gold hoops that I love, but after wearing them for a couple of days my ears begin to itch and ooze. So try sterling silver earrings before you give up hope ladies! It worked for me! FWIW, sometimes gold necklaces bother me too, but I never have a problem with sterling silver!