Menu

Do I need WWE and FLL?

LMK

Hi!

I have been using FLL 1/2 with my oldest and plan to use FLL 3 once we complete this level. I have been looking at WWE but have not made a final decision yet because I am not sure if it I need that in addition to FLL. We are also using AAS (level 2). So, has anyone found it useful to use ALL of these programs, or should we be ok with FLL and AAS?

Thanks!

LMK

I am currently using FLL 2, AAS 1, and WWE and I find them all beneficial and they work well together. I had the same question as you and I spoke to the PHP people at the conference and they said "Yes, use them both. There may be some skill overlap, but WWE is focused on writing and FLL is focused on grammar." AAS is spelling rules.

I began homeschooling just as FLL was coming out, so needless to say my first couple of children made it through before WWE was released. Frankly, I was never tempted to even look at WWE because FLL combined with additional copywork, dictation, and narration worked so well. It seemed silly to add something else. My kids begin CW Aesop in 4th grade and have become strong, competent writers.

So, no, you do not NEED it.

I am currently using FLL 2, AAS 1, and WWE and I find them all beneficial and they work well together. I had the same question as you and I spoke to the PHP people at the conference and they said "Yes, use them both. There may be some skill overlap, but WWE is focused on writing and FLL is focused on grammar." AAS is spelling rules.

That's right.

In our house, I like WWE very much. We are currently using FLL 3 (we did FLL 1/2 prior). My dd however is starting to get tired of me reading the script (though I try to make it my version). We're almost done with the book but we won't be using FLL for next year.

Yes, I do all 3 of those. FLL doesn't have enough narration or dictation by itself, and the focus is different. WWE also helps you lead the student to the main idea.

I need the hand holding and instruction of WWE, so like others, it's the last thing I'd drop. We do narration in other subjects, but it's WWE that teaches us how to do the narrations.

Yes, I do all 3 of those. FLL doesn't have enough narration or dictation by itself, and the focus is different. WWE also helps you lead the student to the main idea.

I need the hand holding and instruction of WWE, so like others, it's the last thing I'd drop. We do narration in other subjects, but it's WWE that teaches us how to do the narrations.

This is what I've found with both FLL and WWE. The focus is different, and the girls are able to pull out the main idea instead of just random bits. WWE doesn't take very long at all. It has copywork like FLL, but 2 times a week you go into pulling out the pertinent information, and after 33 weeks, I can see this skill being honed in our girls from WWE.

Thanks everyone!

I thought that using them all would be fine, with the idea that there would be overlap. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't really HUGELY redundant. Now, for the next question:

WWE:

hardcover vs. workbooks?

:D

LMK

I thought after reading posts I would be fine just using the text...not so. I am not as organized as I would like to believeI am, and WWE is not getting done. I realize I need to get the workbooks in order for it to get done, I just got the FLL3 text and WB, and dd loves it and actually does a lesson everyday. I am just trying to figure out which levels to get.

So, yes, imo the workbooks are helpful if you don't want to plan out what you are going to use-I am realizing I like the open and go method.

Thanks everyone!

I thought that using them all would be fine, with the idea that there would be overlap. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't really HUGELY redundant. Now, for the next question:

WWE:

hardcover vs. workbooks?

:D

LMK

I only bought the workbook. The HB doesn't seem necessary to me.

This is what I've found with both FLL and WWE. The focus is different, and the girls are able to pull out the main idea instead of just random bits. WWE doesn't take very long at all. It has copywork like FLL, but 2 times a week you go into pulling out the pertinent information, and after 33 weeks, I can see this skill being honed in our girls from WWE.

I am just curious, about how long do you believe FLL & WWE take, on average, daily? Thanks!

Going to begin in the Fall.

I am just curious, about how long do you believe FLL & WWE take, on average, daily? Thanks!

Going to begin in the Fall.

We are on level 2. WWE takes about 5 minutes, 4 days per week. I do several lessons of FLL 2 days per week in about 20-30 minutes.