Menu

Would this bother you?

Would a spouse taking a bite of your food before you bother you?  

1. 1. Would a spouse taking a bite of your food before you bother you?

• Don't be bitin' my bar!
    • We're married, we share everything. *sigh*

Neither, it is just socially unacceptable. I wouldn't expect that kind of behavior from my friend, why would it be different just because we are married. I expect dh to treat me with deference just as he would with others. Unless it is an already established ritual or pattern previously discussed and agreed upon.

I just don't see a parallel here at all. I have been a fair bit more intimate with DH than with even my closest friends! Honestly, though, if my best friend did that, I might tease her, but it wouldn't bother me. I absolutely don't expect DH to treat me just as he would treat others--I expect to be treated differently in all sorts of ways!

It wouldn't bother me in the least. However, we've been together long enough (19 yrs., married 17) that dh would know if it bothered me and he wouldn't do it if it did.

As for being grossed out over sharing spit, um, we're married. We've done some sharing. :lol:

:iagree: I agree with both parts of the above. What all the rest of would or would not be bothered by is kind of irrelevant. If it bothers you, then your DH should refrain. I wouldn't be surprised if he teased you about it, however! :tongue_smilie:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up sharing bites of stuff with family, so it wouldn't bother me at all. In fact, I'd pretty much expect it.

It bugs DH when people ask for bites from him because he feels like he never gets anything to himself, but he'll ask for bites from me (generally because he just wants a taste, but not a full serving for himself). Go figure.

I do have a question though: for the people that it bothers, is it a germ thing or an ownership thing?

Neither. It's a gross thing. I will share freely- if asked, I would cut off a piece or break it in half or something. It's not the germs. It's how I know saliva mixes with food and immediately starts breaking it down and digesting it and it really disgusts me to eat what someone else's digestive juices are working on. Saliva mixes and acts more quickly in wet food. Just thinking about it is making me feel icky.

Edited by Paige

Ii wouldn't bother me at all.

His lip marks in my ice cream wouldn't bother me, either. His lips have been in far more intimate places than my ice cream.

That's what I was thinking. How in the world do people stand kissing if saliva bothers them?

I have a theory. I think it's a virgin thing.

People want an untouched car, a seal-intact bottle, and all that. They want to peel open the container. To feel it's theirs.

That's what I think.

It was mine! :D

BUT

Last night after spending hours with my friend and her kids after their dad passed away(my most recent thread), DH and I finally crawled into bed around 2 am and I told him he could bite my ice cream bar anytime. We both collapsed in tears. It just does not matter anymore. :crying:

BUT

Last night after spending hours with my friend and her kids after their dad passed away(my most recent thread), DH and I finally crawled into bed around 2 am and I told him he could bite my ice cream bar anytime. We both collapsed in tears. It just does not matter anymore. :crying:

:grouphug::grouphug::crying::grouphug::grouphug:

:crying:

:grouphug:

BUT

:grouphug: Having seen dh through the loss of his grampa (he raised dh) and having dh see me through my parents' present illness and the clouds that loom on the horizon, my thoughts often go to that. Hell man, you can do almost anything you want, just keep living and loving me. I'll put up with pulling your dirty laundrey out of the oddest places, dancing while I make coffee so you can use the bathroom first, rubbing your stinky feet at the end of the day. Just stay healthy and here, please.

Maybe that's the difference? Knowing that tomorrow you could be pleading for them to bite your icecream.

:grouphug: Having seen dh through the loss of his grampa (he raised dh) and having dh see me through my parents' present illness and the clouds that loom on the horizon, my thoughts often go to that. Hell man, you can do almost anything you want, just keep living and loving me. I'll put up with pulling your dirty laundrey out of the oddest places, dancing while I make coffee so you can use the bathroom first, rubbing your stinky feet at the end of the day. Just stay healthy and here, please.

Maybe that's the difference? Knowing that tomorrow you could be pleading for them to bite your icecream.

Yes. :sad: