Menu

RFWP Valley Forge, PA mini-conv w/ SWB and MCT

YEs that's true. I'm trying to talk Dr. Kemnitz out of that so if you have strong concerns, please express them here. I would rather cut some time off the coffee break and lunch and be able to all the talks.

I'd love to see all the talks and not have to pick. Am I nuts? Will I be glassy-eyed by the end of the day?

I can hardly wait!!

Yippeeeeee!!!! Thanks so much for posting this! I can't WAIT!!!!!

FWIW, I'd be quite interested in the Nature Study for a Young Family session, but I don't know that I'm willing to sacrifice hearing SWB discuss high school preparation. It's definitely far away for my family, which makes the other session more immediately applicable; however, we are planning to homeschool for the long term, so I feel like getting some prep now will help me not panic later. :D

I can see the logic behind having talks aimed at different age groups happen simultaneously, so I do understand if the schedule goes forward this way. I'm absolutely beyond grateful that SWB and MCT won't be simultaneous! But selfishly, I'd love to not have to choose for any of it! I, too, would gladly give up some of the coffee and lunch time, or go even a bit later on Friday, if those are options.

Thank you, thank you for being a point person for us on this conference!

I want to hear all of the talks as well. And since I know nothing about Laurel Dodge and Shelagh Gallagher I am not totally sure what their talks will be about based on the titles (except perhaps the nature study one). What if too many people feel as I do and don't choose these lesser known presenters? I'd like to show that I appreciate that they came and hear what they have to say, but if push comes to shove I'd go to SWB's lectures. ;)

Just being honest here!

:iagree:

I agree with others!

I'll feel absolutely terrible if the other presenters have a bad turn out. I really would like to hear what they have to say, but I'm not in a position to skip SWBs sessions at this point in my hs journey.

:iagree:

I would like to hear the others, too, but they are not the reason I'm coming.:D

I want to hear all of the talks as well. And since I know nothing about Laurel Dodge and Shelagh Gallagher I am not totally sure what their talks will be about based on the titles (except perhaps the nature study one). What if too many people feel as I do and don't choose these lesser known presenters? I'd like to show that I appreciate that they came and hear what they have to say, but if push comes to shove I'd go to SWB's lectures. ;)

Just being honest here!

:iagree: I'd probably skip the Nature Study one either way, as my kids are all getting older, but the two Shelagh Gallagher talks look like they might be interesting - but if I have to choose, I'll be listening to SWB.

Both SWB and MCT will be bringing curricula to purchase, right? I just found out that PHP won't be at HEAV (they aren't listed on the exhibitor list, anyhow), and was planning on picking up a few things...

I have a BIG MCT order (I need both Island and Town), and would prefer to simply bring the new editions home with me.

Just checking.

Thanks.

Both SWB and MCT will be bringing curricula to purchase, right? I just found out that PHP won't be at HEAV (they aren't listed on the exhibitor list, anyhow), and was planning on picking up a few things...

I have a BIG MCT order (I need both Island and Town), and would prefer to simply bring the new editions home with me.

Just checking.

Thanks.

I'm really, really hoping we might get a peek at Writing With Skill and Advanced Language Lessons!!!:D

I'm agreeing with the others. I'd rather not have to miss any of the talks! However, I suspect that the "coffee" breaks are scheduled because the organizers wanted to do as they said on the RFWP site: "We will provide as much opportunity as possible to talk to the speakers and fellow home-educators about areas that are of interest or concern to you.... We have tried to minimize conflicts between presentations and to make the atmosphere unhurried and conducive to sharing, reflection, and discussion." If we're all rushing from session to session, there might not be as much opportunity for informal discussion, maybe...

YOu can learn more about Dr. Gallagher at the Royal Fireworks Press website. http://www.rfwp.com/series90.htm#868

Here's a clip:

This is a Problem-Based Learning unit about the Chinese Exclusion Laws in the late 1800s. Designed primarily for high school classes, students investigate how and why the Chinese Exclusion Laws came into being from the vantage point of a Congressman from California trying to decide whether support the Geary Act.

The Resource Book, Teacher Manual and Problem Log make up the Unit.

Before the unit is over, students are forced to consider what reasonable limits can or should be placed on immigration in a country that urged "bring us your poor, your tired, your huddled masses…" Throughout, students draw powerful parallels to contemporary immigration issues. To understand the background, students investigate why Chinese immigrants first came to America, the rate of Chinese immigration, changing attitudes towards Chinese immigrants, the initial Chinese Exclusion Law and Supreme Court decisions supporting that act. This unit is appropriate for any high school classroom and has elements particularly suited to advanced classes.

Excluded! aligns directly to core Social Studies content outlined in the National History standard and integrates the theme Individuals, Groups and Institutions from the curriculum standards of the National Council for the Social Studies. The content is tied to AP US History topics contained in Development of the West in the Late Nineteenth Century and Industrial America in the Late Nineteenth Century. Interdisciplinary study is fostered through data analysis and connections to literature, and a companion volume allows for investigation through primary resources. Complete with story narrative, fully articulated lessons and a Problem Log for student use, Excluded! provides support for teachers new to PBL and a scaffold for experienced PBL teachers.

YOu can learn more about Dr. Gallagher at the Royal Fireworks Press website. http://www.rfwp.com/series90.htm#868

I'm actually super-excited to attend Dr. Gallagher's sessions. I can't wait to hear more about what she teaches, it sounds fascinating and like something my very thoughtful DD8 would like. I really don't want to have to choose between her and SWB though :(