Menu

How would/did/do you handle literature for a 4th grader?

melissel

She reads plenty on her own right now, and we read aloud a bit each day. We also read for history (things that go along with SOTW). Her personal choices are usually not the highest quality books, so while I won't restrict them, I'm thinking I might simply assign a quality book at a time, read it at the same time she does, and we'll discuss as much as she cares to. Also, one of my goals with this is for her to get used to the fact that reading good books will be a requirement as she gets older. I haven't required any specific reading thus far, but I know I will be soon, so I'd like her to get used to the idea of assigned literature. Does that sound like enough for right now? Did you use a different approach that you liked?

TIA!

Edited by melissel
Clarifying my goals

Sounds like a good plan.

That's similar to what we do now. He loves to read mysteries like Hardy Boys but I still assign books (mostly historical fiction and a few classics) and then he has to give me a narrative about the book. I also expect 2 book reports a month but he gets to choose which books-free choice or the assigned books.

I used a similar approach with dd. I utilized AO & Sonlight book lists and a few Progeny Press lit guides to go along with them. We had a great year, and now she is even looking for that "Newberry" stamp when she hits the bookstore or library. :)

That's pretty much what I do. I do assign reading books for school from 2nd grade on. I let them read whatever (for the most part) they want to on their own. They just spend 1/2 hour a day reading their "school" book. Whenever they finish that one they go onto another. I mostly pick from the classics or SOTW reading lists. Sometimes from other lists if nothing strikes my fancy. I don't really discuss much with them... even the 4th grader. I want them to enjoy reading and not associate it with "reading comprehension" or analysis yet. Now, my oldest will be a 5th grader next year and I will start doing oral analysis with him leading into written analysis per WTM recommendations. This has worked really well for us and my older two never complain about their school reading. They've read lots of books they never would have chosen otherwise and are getting some good literature in alongside other things they may choose that aren't quite as fulfilling. My ds is actually really good at choosing decent lit to read... my dd does not have as refined a taste! ;)

This is how we have been handling literature, but next year I need a bit more help. I'm too busy chasing after ds and writing that I'm afraid that I would let it slip through the cracks, especially since we live overseas and don't have access to library. So, we are going to use CHOLL Modern. It's free, but very thorough and will save me countless hours of planning.

Edited by Pata

I do similar to what Robsiew does. I asked for similar help earlier this year b/c I have a 4th and 3rd grader. They read their silly books for fun, usually at bedtime. However, during school time they have 'structured reading' which is 30-45 minutes of a book i pick. Sometimes I pick a science or history related book, while other times I just pick a better quality fiction book. Something like Farmer Boy or a biography. Every so often I have them fill out a sheet that I found online that basically make up a book report. There's even a 'biography' one, too, which they fill out after reading a biography.

I assign books from TWTM reading lists or other literature that goes along with their history studies. I also assign non-fiction library books. The AG for SOTW is helpful for lists of fiction and non-fiction. :)

ETA: I read the literature in advance and then ask them questions after they finish. I usually just have them read non-fiction books before they give me an oral narration. Occasionally I have them do written narrations for the non-fiction books. They do written narrations for their literature after we discuss the book.

Edited by Veritaserum

I do similar to what Robsiew does. I asked for similar help earlier this year b/c I have a 4th and 3rd grader. They read their silly books for fun, usually at bedtime. However, during school time they have 'structured reading' which is 30-45 minutes of a book i pick. Sometimes I pick a science or history related book, while other times I just pick a better quality fiction book. Something like Farmer Boy or a biography. Every so often I have them fill out a sheet that I found online that basically make up a book report. There's even a 'biography' one, too, which they fill out after reading a biography.

can you share that sheet??

Robin in nj

This is how we have been handling literature, but next year I need a bit more help. I'm too busy chasing after ds and writing that I'm afraid that I would let it slip through the cracks, especially since we live overseas and don't have access to library. So, we are going to use CHOLL Modern. It's free, but very thorough and will save me countless hours of planning.

I assign books from TWTM reading lists or other literature that goes along with their history studies. I also assign non-fiction library books. The AG for SOTW is helpful for lists of fiction and non-fiction. :)

ETA: I read the literature in advance and then ask them questions after they finish. I usually just have them read non-fiction books before they give me an oral narration. Occasionally I have them do written narrations for the non-fiction books. They do written narrations for their literature after we discuss the book.

Oh, phooey, we're doing medieval next year :( I'll have to look at the guides to get some ideas though...

I have a 4th grader this year who's been a ravenous reader since kindergarten, but not always picking the best books. I assign him about 2-3 books a month to get through. Often I give him a choice of a few different books. This approach has worked really well and he most often ends up really enjoying these books as well. This still gives him plenty of free reading time. Sometimes I might assign science or history reading as well on the side.

Something a little different:

For the past 2 years we have been following the Drawing Into the Heart of Reading "philosophy". My kids read 1-2 books from 9 different genres every year, each genre for 3 weeks and then they get a week to pick a book of choice. Now, my rising 4th grader will be writing a book report during those in between weeks.

DITHOR has a teacher manual (not my thing). They also have generic student worktexts you can use with any literature to start helping the student look at literary elements: mood, setting, character, etc. It is Christian based BUT it is easy enough to skip the "bibley" parts if you are more of a secular family.

HTH.