Menu

So what do you think of "Latin for a New Millenium"?

It seems doable without a background. It combines several approaches (yes, even the one I dislike) so it might be suitable for people with different goals in mind. The material is, structurally, well-organized; the cultural and literary component is addressed as well.

No, it does not have the rigor of some other Latin programs. But it seems to do the job fairly well and I was pleasantly surprised. Their website is also very fair with plenty of samples - and I mean real samples, MANY pages, and the ones treating exactly the things I would normally look into to see how they are addressed to judge the text, plus a big part of the second book is available on Google Books. I LOVE it when people show what they got and it also says something about their confidence in having a good product. ;)

I am also interested in seeing future responses from experience, though, as I did not use it myself. It just seems to me like a very good compromise. A compromise, yes, compared to some other things and keeping the younger population in mind, but a very good one.

Thanks Ester Maria!

I was hoping this would work for my younger student...it seems it would not.

Sorry for this slight detour, but Ester Maria what Latin curriculum would you recommend for a younger student? She has just started Latina Christiana. I did not care for this program but I had it on my shelf and she decided she really wanted to learn and started the first lesson. She's doing fine with it and I'm resigned to letting her finish this since I cannot find anything else for her age. I was hoping to find something I really liked for her to use next year (3rd grade) when she finished this. This is where I would have liked Latin for the New Millenium. Initially, I was inclined to just wait another year or two before starting Latin with her. This would allow us to use a better program, but she was very determined to start now. I have First Form and Henle but was worried this would be too much for a 3rd grader. What do you think?

We used level 1 this year at the 7th and 8th grade levels. I have no Latin background except for going through Latin for Children. Personally, I think it is difficult. Of course, I am coming from a very different Latin background than Ester Maria. My kids learned a lot, for sure.

The thing I liked best was the multiple approaches used: translating original works, vocabulary memorization, grammar lessons, cultural info. The website is very helpful, as well.

We have decided to take a second run through LftNM this summer/fall and then take the National Latin Exam in 2012. My oldest will probably move onto LftNM II at that point, but my dd will be done with Latin studies.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

We had a good year with it. My 7th grader did it, and she earned a silver medal on the NLE.

She did Henle I in 6th and a couple years before that. So she is not new to Latin. I felt the need not to move onto Henle II with her. But repeating I didn't seem necessary. So we tried something different.

I didn't teach it. We did an online class. She will do LNM2 in the fall in an online class with Latin and Classics.

I have First Form and Henle but was worried this would be too much for a 3rd grader.

If you're looking to replace LC, I can highly recommend GSWL for third grade (or any grade LOL). My dd10 did GSWL in third grade and loved it. She started Henle in fourth grade (we're going slowly), and would not have been able to do so without the great intro from GSWL. I don't know about First Form for that age - maybe that would work - but I think you're right that Henle would be too much for third grade.