Menu

What do you put in your pot pie?

I do a very basic chicken pot pie with mock chicken, potato, carrot, celery, and peas.

This is a favorite with the kids, but I'd like to play around with the recipe. What do you use? Do you make a Shepherd's Pie? What herbs do you use, fresh or dried? Tips...?

My family is vegan, but I can do a decent version of many meat recipes.

:lurk5:

ps: by decent I mean my kids have never eaten meat so they have nothing to compare it to. ;)

Edited by helena

I do a very basic chicken pot pie with chicken, potato, carrot, celery, and peas.

This is a favorite with the kids, but I'd like to play around with the recipe. What do you use? Do you make a Shepherd's Pie? What herbs do you use, fresh or dried? Tips...?

My family is vegan, but I can do a decent version of many meat recipes.

:lurk5:

ps: by decent I mean my kids have never eaten meat so they have nothing to compare it to. ;)

I don't mean to be argumentative, but how do you put chicken in your pot pie and be vegan and be able to say your kids have never eaten meat? Do you not consider chicken to be meat?

I use meat, mixed vegetables and make a gravy. I use regular pie crust, top and bottom.

I make this chicken pot pie-amazing! The topping (dough) is soooooo delicious.I add potatoes. My son eats the chicken/potatoes, my daughter the potato only.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/chicken-pot-pie-recipe/index.html

This is my kids favorite shepherds pie recipe-

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shepherds-pie-recipe2/index.html

I don't mean to be argumentative, but how do you put chicken in your pot pie and be vegan and be able to say your kids have never eaten meat? Do you not consider chicken to be meat?

I use meat, mixed vegetables and make a gravy. I use regular pie crust, top and bottom.

Sorry about that. I should have said vegan "mock chicken" and a vegan chick broth powder. :001_smile:

Off to edit:auto:

For pot pie I combine diced meat (chicken, beef, or turkey), diced potatoes, veggies (carrots, peas, celery, onion), and cream of chicken soup thinned with milk (2 parts soup to 1 part milk). Season with salt & pepper and herbs. I prefer both top and bottom crusts, but when I make one for lunch I just heat the filling on the stovetop first and use only a top crust since that cooks faster. I would sub white beans for meat if I wanted to go meatless.

Shepherd's pie is delicious! I layer meat on the bottom, veggies, and carb on top. I do different ones -- traditional (seasoned ground beef, peas, and mashed potatoes) and even a Mexican one (seasoned ground beef, mexicorn, and spanish rice), either topped with a generous sprinkling of cheese. I've subbed cooked, seasoned lentils for beef in both of these and it tastes great.

Edited by Pretty in Pink

For pot pie I combine diced meat (chicken, beef, or turkey), diced potatoes, veggies (carrots, peas, celery, onion), and cream of chicken soup thinned with milk (2 parts soup to 1 part milk). Season with salt & pepper and herbs. I prefer both top and bottom crusts, but when I make one for lunch I just heat the filling on the stovetop first and use only a top crust since that cooks faster. I would sub white beans for meat if I wanted to go meatless.

Shepherd's pie is delicious! I layer meat on the bottom, veggies, and carb on top. I do different ones -- traditional (seasoned ground beef, peas, and mashed potatoes) and even a mexican one (seasoned ground beef, mexicorn, and spanish rice), either topped with a generous sprinkling of cheese. I've subbed cooked, seasoned lentils for beef in both of these and it tastes great.

Ah! I forgot about Mexican versions. I think I have a recipe for tamale pie.. I'll have to go look for it.

All of these recipes look so good. I'm actually making a pie now.

I think I'm going to try a (mock) lamb one next.

Edited by helena

I hope I am not reposting but she wrote she uses "mock chicken". I dont know exactly what that is- maybe tofu or something? Anyways, thats why she can say that. :001_smile:

I sometimes use broccoli or potatoes in addition to the veggies you mentioned. I always use celery. Potatoes, carrots and broc already cooked, of course. Celery and onion saute in butter before adding flour for roux, then stock and cream. I use frozen peas and sometimes corn.

I season with poultry seasoning and S&P.

I use butter, homemade stock and heavy cream.

Sometimes homemade crusts, sometimes Pillsbury.

For Shepherd's pie or beef pot pie, I usually season with thyme. Veggies - carrots, onion, garlic, peas. And potatoes, of course.

Edited by ScoutTN

This is the chicken I use (bottom 2): http://www.tofutown.net/index.php?id=93,

This looks like the chicken broth I buy in bulk: http://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Chicken-Flavored-Powder-Meatless/dp/B001EO6FG4/ref=pd_sim_gro_3

I really like the idea of using broccoli.. I found this: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/chicken-pot-pie-iv/Detail.aspx.

Thanks for all the ideas so far. :001_smile:

We do no bottom crust, and biscuits on the top. I put some of the homemade "poultry" seasoning in the biscuit dough, as well.

I've added sweet potato and green beans to mine at times. I cook the veggies in the stock, then add some flour to thicken and pour all of that into the baking dish. Top with biscuits and bake for 10 minutes (the veggies are all cooked, so you just need to bake the biscuits).

I have grand mental plans for an asian style one with either wanton wrappers or (if I was feeling especially lush) potstickers as the top crust. A more soy flavored "gravy," carrots, pea pods, ??

We do no bottom crust, and biscuits on the top. I put some of the homemade "poultry" seasoning in the biscuit dough, as well.

I've added sweet potato and green beans to mine at times. I cook the veggies in the stock, then add some flour to thicken and pour all of that into the baking dish. Top with biscuits and bake for 10 minutes (the veggies are all cooked, so you just need to bake the biscuits).

I have grand mental plans for an asian style one with either wanton wrappers or (if I was feeling especially lush) potstickers as the top crust. A more soy flavored "gravy," carrots, pea pods, ??

Do you make the biscuits from scratch?

You must must must let us know how that asian style pie turns out! Don't forget pictures!

I'll admit.. I'm skeptical.. :001_huh: :D .. and hungry for it at the same time!

What is "mock chicken"? Is it tofu? I'm so clueless when it comes to vegan!:confused:

The one I use for pot pie is made from wheat gluten, the lamb I want to try in a shepherd pie is mushroom based.

While the mock chicken is only mildly similar to real chicken, the lamb (so I've been told) is very similar.

Bring on the vegan pot pie recipes please.

Pretty please.

Well mine is incredibly basic. :001_smile:

I use my iron skillet to cook diced carrot, diced russet potato, diced mock chicken, and sliced celery. When it's about half cooked I transfer and set aside.

Next to make gravy I brown flour add a dollop of Earth Balance butter, add soy milk, whisk like crazy till thickened. Add salt, pepper, and powdered "chicken broth" to taste. Throw in a handful of frozen peas. Add veggie/chicken mix.

The crust is the basic double crisco recipe, though sometimes I use the more healthy Spectrum brand.

Put in oven at 350, cook till light brown.

Here are the vegan products I use:

http://www.tofutown.net/index.php?id=93 (3rd one down)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EO6FG4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0001M0YT4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1AS8DBHZZJA8E4X3AXGF(I think this is the one I buy)

http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Naturals-Shortening-Vegetable-Containers/dp/B001FA1DG4 (softer than Crisco, works better when cold)

Like I said, I could use some new ideas. It's good, but I know it could be better. (The kids love it, and get mad if I change it :rolleyes:)

Here's a pic of the one I made tonight:

post-4417-13535084776156_thumb.jpg

post-4417-13535084776156_thumb.jpg

I don't use potatoes in my pot pie; typically use whatever veggies are laying around: carrots, celery, onion for sure; and then sometimes peas, mushrooms, broccoli, whatever else looks good. I always use tarragon in my pot pie, though. Chicken and tarragon are awesome together!

I'm interested in trying new variations for sure, but my standard pie needs something. I'm sure it's herbs.. Should I use fresh tarragon or dried?