Menu

Amazon won't hire homeschoolers?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, education in America is such a mess right now that I wouldn't be impressed with a public high school diploma, if I were an employer. I'd be giving tests to prospective employees to be sure they had the skills required for the job.

But it might show the knack for showing up day after day, on time.

"Giving tests" is not cheap or fast. Merely having a bottom hurdle, and a fast, inexpensive one, to glean out those who might show up at work would be their motivation, I would guess.

Great news on the conversation!! I really hope he follows through with that. Is he supposed to contact you or let you know in any way? Is there a way to follow up and let us know when it is official?

I have a to order list in my Amazon wish list. I don't want to send it unless I know they are sincere. I could always hunt these down somewhere else. But I don't want to. Amazon is so easy and inexpensive.

I just got off the phone with Troy Winters. He was very proactive in trying to determine what Amazon should use for hiring homeschoolers. He reiterated that dismissing homeschoolers was never their intention. It's just something that sort of snuck up on them. Anyway, we went over portfolios, testing, college transcripts/report cards. We also discussed the GED and why that isn't an viable option for many homeschoolers. I also encouraged him to register here and begin a thread to gather as much input from homeschoolers as he can (so if he does, let's all make him feel welcome :001_smile:) because I certainly don't speak for everyone.

Overall, it was a very positive, encouraging conversation. He has made a commitment to have a policy in writing by the end of May. I suggested it be published on his website.

Awesome! If true, my mom will probably get her birthday books (from me) from Amazon after all. ;) I'm glad to hear they were open to "upgrading" their policy! They could start by seeing to it that the young gentleman who had the job, until this mess hit fan, gets it.

Let us know.

I just got off the phone with Troy Winters. He was very proactive in trying to determine what Amazon should use for hiring homeschoolers. He reiterated that dismissing homeschoolers was never their intention. It's just something that sort of snuck up on them. Anyway, we went over portfolios, testing, college transcripts/report cards. We also discussed the GED and why that isn't an viable option for many homeschoolers. I also encouraged him to register here and begin a thread to gather as much input from homeschoolers as he can (so if he does, let's all make him feel welcome :001_smile:) because I certainly don't speak for everyone.

Overall, it was a very positive, encouraging conversation. He has made a commitment to have a policy in writing by the end of May. I suggested it be published on his website.

I am glad! I had a feeling this was just miscommunication.

or the California High School Proficiency Exam. The CHSPE is considered equivalent to a high school diploma and is often used by students who want to leave school early. It does not seem to have the stigma of the GED. Is this unique to California?

I believe NJ has the same sort of deal. And if combined with college credits, can be used for a homeschooler to get......

.......a NJ State diploma.

Easy enough to see where someone writing the original policy could have had some familiarity, but didn't realize the 50+ variations out there with the states and territories....

Troy is speaking to the parent and job applicant involved in all of this. He seems genuinely concerned about the issue and is working on ideas for a successful resolution. I will now happily resume ordering from Amazon.

Thank you for finding his contact information. He is obviously the right person. For whatever reason my emails and phone calls feel on deaf ears!

I think that most people only have experience with one state's requirements for graduation. It doesn't occur to them that there are 50+ different legal systems out there for education.

And honestly, homeschoolers are still a small minority that has a rather recent history. It's not far fetched to think that a given HR office may have never dealt with an application from a homeschooler (in particular one who hadn't gone on to college, making the high school credential moot).

I enrolled my kids in a summer language camp that is run by the local school system, but that is open to any student in the county. The contact in the language department had no idea what sort of paperwork I, as a homeschooler, would have to document my kids' grade level.

Troy is speaking to the parent and job applicant involved in all of this. He seems genuinely concerned about the issue and is working on ideas for a successful resolution. I will now happily resume ordering from Amazon.

Thank you for this info! I'm currently satisfied with their response as well. ;)

If I were your friend's son I'd mention HSLDA :D

There are a lot of places that try that whole thing and sometimes just saying, "Okay, that's fine I'll have my lawyer call you.." and mention HSLDA will work.

My brother wanted to join the military and though he passed everything they threw at him with flying colors it came down to his education. Because he was homeschooled they didn't want him. He smiled kindly and said, "Not a problem. By the way, have you ever heard of an organization called Homeschool Legal Defence? They'll be calling you later today on my behalf."

Within 24 hours he was hired on for the position he'd been after. Not entirely sure he's grateful he used that card {he's been deployed} but there you have it..

I think it totally depends on your recruiter. When my ds joined the Army, his recruiter was AWESOME about getting the info they needed from me. Oh and NEVER EVER get a GED if you are thinking about the military. Your child will not qualify for the bonuses they offer. My ds got a 40K bonus with his non-accredited hs diploma. My nephew, who was also homeschooled, got a GED and no bonus because of it.

Thank you for finding his contact information. He is obviously the right person. For whatever reason my emails and phone calls feel on deaf ears!

Thank Goodness. I spend a TON of money on their website for school books. :svengo:

Great news on the conversation!! I really hope he follows through with that. Is he supposed to contact you or let you know in any way? Is there a way to follow up and let us know when it is official?

I have a to order list in my Amazon wish list. I don't want to send it unless I know they are sincere.

:iagree:

Humans are so much wiser in their response than computers. ;)

Honestly, I'd be asking that they simply accept a homeschool diploma and a private school diploma the same way they accept one from a public school. No further testing should be required, unless all are tested for the particular job they are seeking.

They may say they don't know the rigor of the homeschool course work, but that isn't known about the public school graduates either. I know several who got good grades in public school but learned very little. Many companies have a probationary period of employment during which time they can terminate someone based on their job performance without having cost them much. This should easily weed out anyone who isn't qualified to do their job - whether homeschooled or public schooled. I also think it's perfectly acceptable for an interviewer to ask questions about high school during the job interview, especially for a recent graduate. Again, this would apply whether homeschooled, private schooled, or public schooled.

Looking forward to any updates and will be following up on their policy change. :)

• 2 weeks later...