Menu

Is there a place like this near you? Would you consider using it if there were?

Real Change Wellness Center

"Real Change for a Better Life"

We understand that every client is a person with a variety of wellness needs, and we work with you to develop a plan that feels right to you.

Offering the following services:

Dietary and nutritional counseling with a registered dietitian

Family and personal meal plans tailored to your individual needs

Healthy cooking demonstrations & lessons, in a group, as a family, or one-on-one

On-site available healthy frozen meals prepared with locally grown ingredients

Personal training geared towards any fitness level: we'll meet you at whatever level you are, and help you grow from there!

Family fitness advice featuring fun activities both at home, locally, and active vacation ideas

Personalized workout music playlists, as well as playlists tailored for relaxation

Massage therapy offered by a certified practitioner

Aromatherapy

Environmental design consulting--how to redesign your space (including kitchen) to better allow for healthy habits & living

If necessary, referrals to reputable & effective counseling professionals who specialize in disordered eating, whether over- or under- eating, and counsel for those who eat emotionally

On-site, loving child care

Specialized consulting for men, offered by a real man ETA: *Please* see posts #11, #13, & #19

Edited by Julie in CA

Absolutely. In fact, just a few weeks ago I was just telling a friend of mine who wants to retire from nursing, that setting up something like this that covers all the bases would be perfect for her (and I would love to be a part of it, too).

Are you thinking of starting something like this, or joining it?

ETA - no, there isn't one where I live. And I'd only join one if it was an affordable monthly sort of fee (like a gym or the Y) that gives access to all the services, with only a few being extra dollars.

Edited by LauraGB

No, I would not use this sort of service. I have seen a couple outfits sort-of like this (but never with child-care) advertising in the local alternative medicine/lifestyle paper, so I assume that there must be a customer-base for it.

The only part of that that sounds useful to me would be the dietician - I guess the rest of it sounds kind of flaky and too touchy-feely for me.

(please....don't hit me. If you want to pay for aromatherapy and the rest, that's great. I just wouldn't.)

ETA: yeah... the "real man" snark is a turn-off for me too.

Are you thinking of starting something like this, or joining it?

Actually, my 15 yo dd has decided to make creating a center like this her goal. She was very overweight for a long time, but over the past year has lost over 70 lbs. very healthfully. She knows a lot about healthy eating now, knows a lot about how it feels *not* to have good habits, and has been successful in improving herself. She is an upbeat, but gentle person, and loves to teach and help others. She's finishing up a pretty intensive course in Culinary Skills, and is excellent in the kitchen. She's planning on becoming a registered dietitian, but is interested in helping people in a first-hand way, not being situated in an office somewhere doing foodservice planning for an institution. The young lady my ds is courting is interested in becoming a massage therapist, and my dd dreams of a business where she can involve family in serving others. I don't know anyone my dd's age who has her quiet resolve once she sets a goal--I fully believe she will do this. :001_smile:

Personally, I wish there *was* a place like this where I live--a place where it's not just about diet, not just about exercise, not just about one facet of wellness, but where all things encourage and contribute to a healthy lifestyle. Not treating people as medical problems, but as people who need encouragement & inspiration, followed through with help & a plan that makes real lifestyle change possible.

Specialized consulting for men, offered by a real man

The phrase "a real man" puts me off. It comes across as anti-transgendered.

:iagree: And what's with that whole last line? It doesn't seem to fit w/ the rest of it, or make any sense really. (I'm sure I'm missing something, but it sounds sort of sexist, and I don't know why... :confused:)

:iagree: And what's with that whole last line? It doesn't seem to fit w/ the rest of it, or make any sense really. (I'm sure I'm missing something, but it sounds sort of sexist, and I don't know why... :confused:)

Again, this isn't an advertisement, it's just part of a business plan idea. There's no sexism going on here, just a certainty that there are a lot of men who wouldn't be caught dead seeking help if they perceived it to be a frilly pink health spa, and phrasing that hasn't been fine-tuned yet. :001_smile:

Actually, my 15 yo dd has decided to make creating a center like this her goal. She was very overweight for a long time, but over the past year has lost over 70 lbs. very healthfully. She knows a lot about healthy eating now, knows a lot about how it feels *not* to have good habits, and has been successful in improving herself. She is an upbeat, but gentle person, and loves to teach and help others. She's finishing up a pretty intensive course in Culinary Skills, and is excellent in the kitchen. She's planning on becoming a registered dietitian, but is interested in helping people in a first-hand way, not being situated in an office somewhere doing foodservice planning for an institution. The young lady my ds is courting is interested in becoming a massage therapist, and my dd dreams of a business where she can involve family in serving others. I don't know anyone my dd's age who has her quiet resolve once she sets a goal--I fully believe she will do this. :001_smile:

Personally, I wish there *was* a place like this where I live--a place where it's not just about diet, not just about exercise, not just about one facet of wellness, but where all things encourage and contribute to a healthy lifestyle. Not treating people as medical problems, but as people who need encouragement & inspiration, followed through with help & a plan that makes real lifestyle change possible.

Your dd sounds brilliant! And determined. I think she should go for it with everything she can muster!

My friend, who I mentioned earlier, also lost about 60lbs, has food allergies, (and just "life struggles" for which she has gone through therapies in a "life skills" sort of way). She has the sort of character to persevere, to help, to learn and keep learning, to share, etc. That's why I think, with the right team members to contribute who have the same sort of vision and mentality, she could start something like this. Your dd sounds similarly motivated :)

I mean, look at the popularity of yoga centers, of cooking classes, of exercise places like Curves and such...put them all together and cater to a "lifestyle" all under one roof - awesome! I know so many people who would go to a place like this daily, especially if there was child care, and find it a good, comfortable, happy place to be.

I don't know of a place like that around here. And, no, it wouldn't interest me. When it comes to fitness and health, I like to gather my own resources or (if necessary) find an expert on my own. And some of those areas mentioned just aren't of any interest to me (massage, aromatherapy, etc.).

But . . . general wellness is really a hot topic right now, and I imagine such a center would be really attractive to those who don't like doing their own research, or who are motivated by being part of a group.

The foundational idea sounds good to me. I have started taking regular yoga classes, and I LOVE it, and recently I was thinking that I wish the yoga studio had a wider sweep - nutrition classes, massage, cooking. So in theory, I really like the idea, and I think a business like this could be a great dream for her and a great help to the community.

But it seems a little too broad - like they are trying to be everything for every one. They will meet you anywhere, plan vacations, cook, do interior design? I understand all these things are connected. Heck, all of our lives are connected which is part of the whole "wellness" concept. But I probably would start narrower and build.

I also would change the "real man" wording. What kind of man isn't "real" any way? One who is smaller? Shorter? Older? Less macho? Gay? Unemployed? I think when men hear "real man" it's a bit defensive. I might have something more like "classes for guys, taught by guys."

I also would change the "real man" wording. What kind of man isn't "real" any way? One who is smaller? Shorter? Older? Less macho? Gay? Unemployed? I think when men hear "real man" it's a bit defensive. I might have something more like "classes for guys, taught by guys."

I like your wording--it's definitely better. It seems that there's been some confusion about this. I just want to reiterate that this is *not* an advertisement, just an idea for a future business. This is her brainstorming on paper, and I want to reassure people that she'll refine the wording. :rolleyes:

She's definitely planning on starting out smaller, using the skills that stem from her own degree, education, and expertise. She's just thinking ahead to what *could* be, and trying to think of everything that could be helpful to folks who'd like more support, more ideas, and perhaps, for some, even a little hand-holding as they strive for healthier & happier lives. As time goes by, I'm sure she'll focus in on what would be the most realistic & helpful to the most people.

The only thing that leapt out at me was the "any fitness level" statement. I agree that it would be easy to help at the lower end of that but some people's fitness level can be pretty high! You'd have to make sure you could have someone really good to be able to meet that goal.

Oh, that's true. :001_smile:

I will mention to her that she'll want to give some thought to just what she means by that.

Thanks!