Menu

Smoky Mountains -- What should we not miss?

We enjoyed Cades Cove, where they filmed Christy (or, where she was from, or some sort of Christy connection...LOL). We rented a cabin on the edge of a field of horses about 8 years ago. It had a wonderful, big, round jacuzzi in the master bath! :D Decorated very nicely (country), had a porch and a view of the mountains. It was right outside Cades Cove.

We enjoyed Cades Cove, where they filmed Christy (or, where she was from, or some sort of Christy connection...LOL).

:iagree: Cades Cove was one of the first settlements outside of Townsend - and yes, they filmed part of Christy there. Skip the touristy stuff and go straight for Cades Cove and take a picnic lunch. You can spend a whole day (or more) in Cades Cove alone. You can even rent bikes and bike the loop. Or take a hike up Laurel Falls, walk up Clingman's Dome, and definitely stop by the Ranger Station just outside of Gatlinburg.

And if you don't mind waiting in line, go to the Apple Barn in Sevierville for breakfast (or lunch, or dinner)! It's not that far and it's a treat!

Edited by Penny from Tenny
apple barn - yum!

I was coming in to mention Cades Cove as well! There's also the Great Smoky Mountain Railroad. Rafting on the Nantahala. (At one time you could combine a train trip with rafting). I'm not sure how far it is - but we took a side trip to Fontana Dam. Asheville and the Biltmore Estate is another nice day trip. I used to always think the gem-stone mining would be pretty hokie - but the kids really like it.

As another poster said: Clingman's Dome, Cherokee of course since it's just a few miles from the Dome. Biltmore is nice and usually they have a homeschool ticket price, but don't know if you need to be NC residents. I would hope anyone could use their card.

Gatlinburg is great if you're up to shopping til you drop, otherwise skip it.

The Eastern Continental Divide runs through Lake Lure area I think. They filmed Dirty Dancing somewhere in the mountains. Bryson City is cute and The Fugitive with Harrison Ford was filmed there years ago. Not far from Bryson tucked way back is a wonderful water tubing place. The river's water is not deep and it's not dangerous. Parents were letting their kids ride their own tube.

There are many more things. If you'd like to pm I could make more suggestions based on preference, etc.

We've lived in Charlotte for 20 years and love it. We go to the mountains every chance we get and rent a little cabin the Smokey's whenever we get the chance.

You will want to go gem mining for sure. There is a must go-to spot if you're in the Dillsboro area. PM me for more info. We always have a blast.

Nakia and Rachel (forgot R's username) live in the mtns. HTH!

HAVE FUN!!!!

Are you going anywhere near the Biltmore? I would go on vacation just to see the Biltmore at Christmas preferably but anytime would be great. We have also made a vacation of traveling the Nachez Trace just to visit the plantations.

You could also visit Lookout Mountain, Mammoth Caves, the Chattanooga Aquarium or Dollywood depending on exactly where you will be. This are all towards the southern end since it is closer to where we live.

We are thinking of visiting for a week and renting a cabin in May.

What should we not miss?

We enjoy hiking, nature things, museums, etc. We're not really looking for water sports. Thanks so much!

Too bad! We'll just miss you. We'll be there the first two weeks in June. My grandpa lives near Spruce Pine/Bakersville and we're going to rent a place nearby for a couple of weeks and visit him.

We're going to do Linville Caverns, but other than that, we'll probably just let the kid play in the woods and creeks :)

If you guys are decent hikers, you should try hiking the Chimneys. You'll be on top of the world if you make it all the way. The view is gorgeous!

If your young ones require easier hikes, then try Laurel Falls. You can wade and play in the water when you reach the top.

I miss the Smokies!!!!

P.S. Cades Cove is one of my most favorite places in the world. I wish I could live there.

We are headed that way on the 15th. I will second Cades Cove and the Old Mill Restaurant. Ripley's Aquarium is really nice; we have been numerous times. Wonderworks is also fun and touristy, depending on what your children like. I also second the Chimney's picnic area. It is very scenic and a great place to cool off. (Maybe not in May, though.)

I have lots of suggestions for hikes as well if you are interested. Just let me know what area you are in and how much time you have.

Paula

We booked a cabin in Pigeon Forge for May 6-13. Let's make plans when it gets closer to the date, based on weather and such. :D

Sounds great! Just shoot me a pm in a week or two, and we will plan it! I'm so excited to meet another WTM momma!