Menu

Are you sorry you used a popular name

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Splash, I DO have a Madeleine and an Olivia!

How funny. I love those names, we just have lots of friends over the years who have named their daughters Madeline and Olivia, since it took us a long time to have kids and then we had boys first. Maybe if we'd had girls first we would have been okay with it since they would be older than the kids we know with these names. I actually have a friend that everytime we'd be adopting she was pregnant and we'd get together and tell eachother what names we were considering and always we'd be looking at the same names. She has four girls and two of them are Olivia and Madeline. I will say though I like your taste in names. ;)

We could have named girls almost unendingly. I still have a girl's name "left over" from when we didn't know our son's gender. And there are lots more waiting in the wings.

Boys are harder to name, we found, because the options are more narrow.

:D It must be that the grass is always greener? We (okay, *I*) was certain this baby was a boy this time around. The name is prechosen and it has to be three names (first, middle, middle) because with our odds we aren't entirely certain to get another little boy so we have to cram as many onto one boy as possible, lol.

William (after DH)

Nicholas (after my grandfather who just died)

James (after my other grandfather whom I have adored since I was born and STILL DO.) We put the fathers (mine and DH's) first and used those names, assuming eventually there would be more boys. They seem very hard to come by, boys. :glare: ;)

And then the list of boys' names, oh the LIST. There are so many good male characters in the Bible and markedly fewer female ones. Luke is incredibly high on my list and was DH's confirmation name. Matthew is a family name. I love Levi, Isaiah, Isaac, and the list goes on... DH likes Samuel.

But, I wonder, if and when there is an ACTUAL baby, how critical will we then be? :lol:

Frankly Lydia, Ruth, Naomi, and Rachel should be enough for us and we're going off kilter again anyway.

Ah well. Olivia Serene. I can live with that... I even kind of like it when I take popularity out of the equation.

And then the list of boys' names, oh the LIST. There are so many good male characters in the Bible and markedly fewer female ones. Luke is incredibly high on my list and was DH's confirmation name. Matthew is a family name. I love Levi, Isaiah, Isaac, and the list goes on... DH likes Samuel.

I agree. We find many more boys' names we like than girls.

I think we should institute a new rule on these name threads:

If your signature doesn't have your children's names, you should have to reveal them in your response!! :tongue_smilie:

I revealed two of mine. My two with common names are Kyle (13) and Evan (the "baby").

My oldest is Wade. You don't run into too many of those, but it's certainly not unusual. My girl is Alana (That's "Ah LAH nah" - not "Ah lay nah". She'll correct anyone who says it wrong. :tongue_smilie:). I see this name fairly often, but not always spelled that way.

I was all set to name her Jenna, but even before she was born (and we did not know she was a girl) it started to seem wrong. I actually met a sweet teenage girl named Jenna during my pregnancy, who was just so calm and unflappable, and knew that was not the personality of the baby I was carrying.

I was right. She's an imp. :D

A lot of classic names are popular right now and those seem like fine choices even if there are a lot of kids with those names. I would just be leery of using a "trendy" new name that hasn't stood the test of time. So many "old" names are back that I joked at a playgroup once that our kids' names made it sound like a nursing home rather than a toddler playgroup.

I know someone mentioned Henry as a less than popular choice, but I think that one, at least in some social circles, is on the rise. That was one of our finalists for names, but we went with Ian instead. Since then we have met multiple Henrys at playgroups and things and not a single Ian. Ian has been in the top 100 for quite a while but doesn't get a lot movement up or down in the rankings. Henry is at about the same popularity as Ian, but it has been moving up noticeably each year. Definitely look at the trends in the rankings if you want to avoid something that is getting popular, but not there yet.

No, I am not sorry. Christian has the most popular name (ranked 23rd), but we rarely run into other Christians. Taylor (boy) was ranked 298th and we HAVE run into about 4 other male Taylors who are friends of ours now! My youngest is Josiah and we have run into only a couple of other Josiahs. He gets called Joshua a lot, which he doesn't like!

Do I regret it? Not for a minute! All of our boys have their names because they hold special meaning to us and we feel they were names given to us by God for them.

Dawn

I have a M------ and a H----. M---- names were around #71-74 in top 100 popularity and H----was not on the charts. They were names that were familiar but not all the rage -most of the people we knew had kids named Abby/Abigail, Jessica, Sarah, Emily/Emma, Katie, James, Noah, Jacob, Thomas, etc.

Well, now I am a Scout leader with 3 M----'s in my troop (out of 7 girls). We have two H----'s in our homeschool group, two in Sunday School (not same other H----), and when we attended public School, there were two H---- (the other, not one of the above). Once, we were at a park and there FIVE H------ there. All same age. I have two girls with a name that was in the 80's in popularity for my group and then I do not know a single Brianna, which was #3 that year and plenty of others higher in popularity that we don't know anyone by that name.

So many "old" names are back that I joked at a playgroup once that our kids' names made it sound like a nursing home rather than a toddler playgroup.

Based just on their names, folks usually assume my kids are British.

In fact, my son's first-name/last-name combination appears to be VERY common in England, although we've never met another one in person.

My daughter shares her first and last name with a Canadian woman who was all over the news a few years ago. Again, though, we've never met in person another girl with even her first name who is within 30 years of her age.

Based just on their names, folks usually assume my kids are British.

In fact, my son's first-name/last-name combination appears to be VERY common in England, although we've never met another one in person.

My daughter shares her first and last name with a Canadian woman who was all over the news a few years ago. Again, though, we've never met in person another girl with even her first name who is within 30 years of her age.

We've never met another girl with my DD's name either. They are all my age and older.

My DD's name was a very popular Irish name at one point but it seems to have just dropped off the radar. Which is weird...because other Irish names seem to have become verrrrry popular.