Menu

Testing and Play Dough...

Two different topics in one post, didn't feel like making two posts :P

So testing. I need to think about testing again and not sure where to go. Looking at the CAT, Iowa or Hewitt. What is the difference?

I did the Woodcock Johnson last year and wasn't pleased with some of it. So I don't want to fork out the moolah to have it done again.

Play Dough...

I need a good recipe for it. I had one a long time ago I got online but can't, for the life of me, remember were it was on the net or what the recipe was!

I don't want peanut butter ones. I want ones I can color and put in bags to play with over and over. Something with a texture similar to the Play Doh brand. The one I had was like that but seemed more "rubbery" I liked it better than Play Doh!

Testing--I'm only familiar with the CAT for Kindergarten. The results page showed scores for: Visual Recognition, Sound Recognition, Vocabulary, Comprehension, Language Expression & Concept & Application. There was also a "Reading Total" score.

For each category, it gave the total number of questions, the number correct, the percentile, and the stanine ("Stanine indicates a relative standing also: 1, 2, and 3 reflect below-average performance; 4, 5, and 6 are considered average; 7, 8, and 9 are above average.").

Something with a texture similar to the Play Doh brand. The one I had was like that but seemed more "rubbery" I liked it better than Play Doh!

We had one that was very rubbery. I think it's called "flubber." I didn't make it, so I don't have the instructions, but you should be able to find them online under that name. I like it much more than playdoh too. (it isn't a lot like playdoh, though)

Got this Playdough recipe from a friend - it turned out great every time. Will last a long time in a plastic baggie.

Playdough recipe:

***WARNING*** THIS RECIPE CONTAINS A LOT OF SALT AND it is potentially attractive and toxic to dogs.

DO NOT LET YOUR CHILDREN EAT IT EITHER!

Ingredients:

2 cups flour

1 cup salt

1 teaspoon cream of tartar

2 tablespoons oil

1 teaspoon food coloring

2 cups water

Mix ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat.

Stir constantly until dough comes away to form a big ball.

Stir for one more minute.

Knead for four minutes out of pan.

Store in a sealed container.

Play-dough - I have no idea why cream of tartar recipes work better than others, but they do.

That said - use kool-aid to color because it also adds scent! (And add glitter for fun!)

Ok, I have to say, I hate the ones with glitter! Dd7 came home with some after an activity at church--it was a salt & glitter dough, but I don't think they cooked it. It was very coarse and the salt and glitter made such a mess. :glare:

http://www.filthwizardry.com/2009/03/playdough-bakery.html

I like that playdough recipe but not sure if it is what you are interested in.

What did you not like about the Woodcock Johnson if I may ask? We are thinking we will do that this year.

One of the things I didn't like was the way they did vocabulary. They showed them pictures then asked them what it was. For instance my dd was shown a picture of the Coliseum she knew where it was, what it was used for just couldn't sit out Coliseum. So they gave her that one wrong and she ended up with a 3rd grade vocabulary level. This is a child that has read Dickens, Doyle, and most of the classics. I mean not to toot her horn (but I am her mama!) but she is *way* higher than a 3rd grade level.

Another thing I didn't like was the following directions. They weren't realistic in my opinion.

They would look at a picture and then the instructor told them to (this isn't exact but you will understand) Touch the lamp, the book and the TV but only after touching the rug and if there is a picture on the wall. :confused: Things like that. Who in world gives directions like that? Jeez I live in the south and people give better directions using landmarks than that! I don't remember what level exactly but I think it was a 4th grade level. But she scored 2 levels above her own in math, but she can't follow directions?

Now, that being said. It could have just been the instructor. Some of the testing is subjective I think so.

I would do the testing again just not this year. The test is very thorough if you get the full battery. When I do it I will go with another instructor as well :)

I know nothing about testing yet so can't help you on that one.....

Playdoh recipes I can do. I made the playdoh for our preschool co-op for years. I always used a cream of tartar recipe and used kool-aid for the different colors. Didn't do glitter very much as it did make a bit of a mess but it was fun occasionally. I made new stuff once a month so it lasts for quite awhile in a tupperware container.

Good luck!

Well I've got a mess-free Playdough recipe for you. I'm pretty sure I got it here on the boards. Make it and you'll never go back, I promise.

2 1/2 c. flour

1/2 c. salt

2 packets koolaid

Bring 3 tablespoons oil and 2 cups water to boil. Pour over the dry ingredients and stir. Knead till smooth.

I've made it with cream of tartar, cooking it the regular way. This is SO much better. No messy pan to clean up later! It makes beautiful playdough.

And on the testing, we've done the CAT several times through CLP, Seton, etc. This year we're doing WJ, so we'll see how that goes. The CAT isn't incredibly thorough, but it gives us that score to submit to the state, the one thing we need. Can't beat the price or ease of administration either.

The CAT isn't incredibly thorough, but it gives us that score to submit to the state, the one thing we need. Can't beat the price or ease of administration either.

That's why I do it--a score to submit, the price and ease of administration. I don't need it to show me how much she knows, but I do like seeing how she compares to other students who took the test. Just for my own information, and for dh's peace of mind. ;)

One of the things I didn't like was the way they did vocabulary. They showed them pictures then asked them what it was. For instance my dd was shown a picture of the Coliseum she knew where it was, what it was used for just couldn't sit out Coliseum. So they gave her that one wrong and she ended up with a 3rd grade vocabulary level. This is a child that has read Dickens, Doyle, and most of the classics. I mean not to toot her horn (but I am her mama!) but she is *way* higher than a 3rd grade level.

Another thing I didn't like was the following directions. They weren't realistic in my opinion.

They would look at a picture and then the instructor told them to (this isn't exact but you will understand) Touch the lamp, the book and the TV but only after touching the rug and if there is a picture on the wall. :confused: Things like that. Who in world gives directions like that? Jeez I live in the south and people give better directions using landmarks than that! I don't remember what level exactly but I think it was a 4th grade level. But she scored 2 levels above her own in math, but she can't follow directions?

Now, that being said. It could have just been the instructor. Some of the testing is subjective I think so.

I would do the testing again just not this year. The test is very thorough if you get the full battery. When I do it I will go with another instructor as well :)

Thank you for letting me know! I will keep all this in mind when the instructor goes over the results- that direction following is insane. I had to read it a few times :001_huh:

I forgot to say that I have given the CAT from Seton for 1st and 2nd- very easy, and cheap....not informative particularly but it is an easy way to fulfill state testing requirements.

Rachel -

On the testing - I have only done the Woodcock Johnson, but our administrator was very, very good with my kids and we certainly didn't have any hokey questions like the examples you gave. It is a husband/wife team that have been doing this for years. Their testing fees are also very reasonable.

If you want their info (we are in the same city), just pm me and I'll be glad to give it to you.