Menu

Blender for making green smoothies

Well, I can tell you that a Cuisineart food processor does NOT work ( It's what I had in the house and definitely leaves little bits, especially of kale.)

Right now, I'm using a vintage Moulinex that I borrowed from a friend that works better, but there's still room for improvement. Can't find kale here, but it work OK on spinach and grapes.

On an old thread about green smoothies a couple of people mentioned Hamilton Beach.

I looked into those blenders when I first started making green smoothies, and I was like 'no way am I going to pay $500 for a blender'. No Way!!! So I use a $20 blender (Oster maybe?) and it works great for me. I haven't seen the results that the Vitamix produces so I dont' know what I'm missing! I also only use spinach, so maybe that's different. I tried kale once and I hated it.. maybe it's because the pieces weren't actually liquifies.

Bottom line: do you want to spend a few hundred dollars on a blender?

For green smoothies around here, I use my Magic Bullet. BUT I can't do kale. It comes out in tiny bits. As long as I stick with spinach, I'm fine.

:iagree: plus I have learned that if I nuke the spinach for about 1o seconds, it will liquefy much better.

I use the Hamilton Beach personal blender that was around $15.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-51101-Personal-Blender/dp/B00065L6CU/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1302878088&sr=8-6

It has lasted several years at this point and I make smoothies almost every day for the kids, hubby and myself. The only down side is I have to make everyone's smoothie one at a time but most of the time they like different things in their smoothies so it works out okay.

It easily does spinach, ice, apple slices, frozen fruit, etc..... This is the blender that replaced my Kitchen Aide brand blender that broke numerous times because it couldn't handle ice and frozen fruit and I just couldn't justify the cost to keep fixing it.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences! It's good to know that other blenders do work. Right now our family is going through celiac testing. If we end up needing to do lots of GF stuff, I may spring for a Vitamix. Otherwise I really prefer not to spend that much. Can't wait to go researching the blenders you mentioned . . .

Vitamix! I know they are really expensive----but you will NEVER need to buy another one, probably ever! I have had mine for over 10 years---making 2 smoothies a day, grinding coffee beans and whatever else.

totally agree. it costs so much $$$ but we use it almost daily for years. so easy to clean. I doubt that anyone in our house would ever eat chard or kale except in smoothie form. and homemade hummus can't be beat!

Can you share how you make hummus? Thanks!

our favorite is red pepper hummus. substitute with spinach or leave out. the recipe in the vitamix book is not too good in my opinion. here is ours:

add to vitamix in this order:

- juice of 1 lemon

- 1/2 tsp black pepper

- 1/4 tsp sea salt

- 1/4 tsp ground cumin

- 1 tbsp tahini - to make this, grind 1 tbsp sesame seeds in a coffee mill, placethe powder into small dish, add a bit of virgin olive oil and mix until it is an oily paste.

- 1 garlic clove, 2 if you like a garlicy hummus

- 1 roasted red pepper from jar, rinsed and charred parts rubbed off

- 1.5 can chickpeas, drained. you can add 2 cans though

- water to taste. i haven't measured how much water we add. maybe 1/4 cup? if it's not blending well then add more water.