Menu

Spong--Why Christianity Must Change or Die, OR Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism.

This is according to Dh. He is not recommending, just answering your question. He says Spong nauseates him, which is interesting because he's not a fundamentalist.

YMMV, of course.

He is very familiar with Borg, but couldn't remember the titles.

Marcus Borg: Meeting Jesus again for the first time and The heart of Christianity: Rediscovering a life of faith.

I really like Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time. You may not agree with Borg but it was an eye-opener for me. I enjoyed and learned a lot from it (it's been YEARS since I read it).

I love Marcus Borg and would recommend just about anything by him (I haven't read everything, so I can't recommend everything ;) ). Meeting Jesus is a good read as is Reading the Bible Again. The First Paul (cowritten) is great too. His writing makes so much sense to me. Bishop Spong ... I've read quite a few of his, but even as liberal, universalist as I am, I find him a bit extreme for me. But, he has given me much to think about through his books. Why Christianity is a good one for an overview of his work. But, he almost seems to want to shock his readers a bit.

I took the quiz, too, and didn't recognize the name of the guy with whom I supposedly share religious philosophy. One of the other names mentioned was Rob Bell - whom I've heard of, but haven't read.

What made me laugh is that all the buzz words the quiz used to describe me are the buzz words that make me roll my eyes: relevant, social justice, etc!

I found it hard to answer the questions, as quite often none of the options described my beliefs.

One thing that's been refreshing for me, since joining some of the discussion on this board, is that many of the conclusions I've drawn since reading the scripture and other historical documents on my own...the kinds of seemingly anti-doctrinal things I hesitate to bring up in "small group"...I now see are conclusions that many others have drawn through their studies.

That, I find encouraging.

I've only ever read two pages of anything by Bishop Spong.

Many years ago I opened up, at random, a book of his that had just been published and was getting a lot of attention. On those pages, he was making a claim about a medieval spiritual custom that happened to be something I knew quite a bit about: and what he was saying was, historically, utter garbage, and demonstrated a blithe ignorance about the Medieval Church which I found shocking from someone of his position and reputation. I'm not speaking of theological disagreement, now, but strictly historical facts on the ground.

That was enough for me. I don't mind if people disagree with my theology; but I don't waste time on timewasters.

Bishop Spong's Why Christianity Must Change Or Die is one of my favorite books. You also might read Christopher Hedges Losing Moses on the Freeway it is one of those books that permanently changes the manner in which you see other people particularly those who you think you understand.

http://books.google.com/books?id=A94XN44uu6IC&printsec=frontcover&dq=losing+moses+on+the+freeway&source=bl&ots=7NWx5sjEqN&sig=rPcgy_DWvzRw8qWObaxc-eMaVhs&hl=en&ei=Uy6nTfnMKuG70QHuov34CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Marcus Borg is dull beyond measure in my estimation but your reading of his work might be a totally different experience than mine.

I've only ever read two pages of anything by Bishop Spong.

Many years ago I opened up, at random, a book of his that had just been published and was getting a lot of attention. On those pages, he was making a claim about a medieval spiritual custom that happened to be something I knew quite a bit about: and what he was saying was, historically, utter garbage, and demonstrated a blithe ignorance about the Medieval Church which I found shocking from someone of his position and reputation. I'm not speaking of theological disagreement, now, but strictly historical facts on the ground.

That was enough for me. I don't mind if people disagree with my theology; but I don't waste time on timewasters.

That's interesting and good to know. I'll keep it in the back of my mind if I ever read his work. :)

Bishop Spong's Why Christianity Must Change Or Die is one of my favorite books. You also might read Christopher Hedges Losing Moses on the Freeway it is one of those books that permanently changes the manner in which you see other people particularly those who you think you understand.

http://books.google.com/books?id=A94XN44uu6IC&printsec=frontcover&dq=losing+moses+on+the+freeway&source=bl&ots=7NWx5sjEqN&sig=rPcgy_DWvzRw8qWObaxc-eMaVhs&hl=en&ei=Uy6nTfnMKuG70QHuov34CA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Marcus Borg is dull beyond measure in my estimation but your reading of his work might be a totally different experience than mine.

Spong's book looks interesting too:D