Menu

Favorite Spelling/Vocab Curriculum

sixtimemomma

I love Sequential Spelling.

BUT I don't think it will work for kids who NEED to know the rules all the time. My girls love it and have personal goals (-5 or less each day for the 6 year old, -1 or less each day for the 8 year old).

I have seen major growth in my 6 year old's spelling in just the few months we've been using this program. Her journals show better spelling, her letters to relatives show better spelling, and her overall understanding of spelling has improved.

Spelling Power is great for us. I like the rules and the practice method they have developed based on research. I also like that it is one book for all my kids from 1st grade up to high school level. I can progress as quickly or slowly as I need for each of my kids. We are getting great results, including review of phonics (since it covers spelling rules).

We are using Wordly Wise for vocabular, but I don't love it. My son hasn't been retaining as much as I had hoped. However, I do like the multiple choice exercise at the beginning of each lesson because it teaches valuable skills. I think we need something more systematic and sequential ( such as Dynamic Literacy WordBuild). I am looking at getting that for next year to combine with the the parts of Wordly Wise that I like.

Well, we have only used Sequential Spelling and I personally hate it. I want my kids to learn spelling rules not just write words and self correct.

I purchased Spell to Write and Read(SWR)cheaply here from someone as a veteran hs'er I know highly recommended it but after reading through it, I am wondering if it will really work for us. I am very put off by the fact that in order to truly get the program as the parent and be able to teach it properly, they advise you take their $135 training workshop...I mean really? WTH is that all about :001_huh:

Will be following this post closely.

I love Sequential Spelling.

BUT I don't think it will work for kids who NEED to know the rules all the time.

:iagree:

We love Sequential Spelling too, but find that it works best for kids who already know the rules and need practice seeing the patterns in spelling, if that makes sense. We tried All About Spelling, and found it was total overkill for what my son needed. It was also more teacher intensive than I wanted for a spelling program. SS has been a great fit for him. I think both programs are great, but fit different needs.

We really like Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure. It's straightforward, no busywork, and really has the kids working with the spelling rules.

We found a separate vocabulary to be overkill with our Latin studies. That makes Latin for Children our favorite vocabulary. We do still keep our root box current (ala English From the Roots Up).