Menu

I think my home-canned cherries have fermented...can I still use them for something?

I canned cherries a couple of years ago but they smell like alcohol now, so I'm thinking they're fermented, or just plain bad? Can I use them for anything (and if so, what other than getting drunk :D) or do I have to throw all of them out?

Nope. Toss 'em.

I'm curious. Is this a different type of fermentation than converting to alcohol? Why can't they be cooked into an ice cream topping or something?

Because it's a home-canned product that has altered from its original state of canning. You really don't want to mess around with that. Best to toss it and remind yourself next time to eat more cherries sooner. :001_smile:

I canned cherries a couple of years ago but they smell like alcohol now, so I'm thinking they're fermented, or just plain bad? Can I use them for anything (and if so, what other than getting drunk :D) or do I have to throw all of them out?

We can grapes in syrup and they get fizzy by the end of the year. Other than NOT giving it to the kids. :D We still use them.

But if you're in doubt, throw them out.

I'd probably cook 'em for a while, and then try 'em. If I didn't die, then I would have more! :D

I buy fresh apple cider when I can (unpasteurized), and let it get to the fizzing state, and that is when we drink it. My mom always did this, and it's so good. I think the Germans call it Most. Anyhow, that's fresh apple cider that's not been canned, just fermented as is.

Doesn't Ralph and his sister get drunk off of fermented home-canned fruit in one of the Little Britches books? I know that happened to my grandma and her sister. :)

Are you suggesting that perhaps this is a part of childhood my kids should experience? :lol: