Menu

Hot tub--anyone have one off the master bedroom?

We are in the process of designing our dream home as we have to move in a few month.

If we get enough for our place (being bought out by the state) we want to build.

One thing that I think I would really like is a hot tub off the master bedroom with a privacy screen. I think we would use it a great deal. Whenever we go to a hotel dh and I try to get a hot tub room or at least a hot tub by the pool. I LOVE to sit in a hot tub and read a book, etc. I want it DEEP so ALL of me is in the water (so a bathroom jacuzzi won't work) and I want one to enjoy with dh:D

My friend (admittedly she is single and never married) doesn't see why it would be a problem to have the hot tub a bit farther away and around the corner from the bedroom.

I was just wondering if anyone had a hot tub off the master and if you think it is worth it or not. We live in West Michigan but if it was close to the master I think we would use it about year round and I like the idea of being able to set the temp that WE want---not super hot but like a really warm bath.

What are the pros/cons of this?

I've got two friends who have done this. One friend has a deep whirlpool bathtub in her master suite. It's separated from the bedroom by a fireplace. My friend and her husband are <ahem> enthusiastic about the set-up. My other friend has her hot tub (a large, multi-person tub) on the patio right outside her bedroom. It's just a few steps from her bed through the patio door. In their case, my friend's husband has a bad back and needs to go soak first thing when he wakes up. They also really like the convenience of the tub.

If I ever build a dream home, it will have an enclosed courtyard off of my master bedroom. The walls will be very high and made of pretty stone. Lots of plants and flowers. A decorative fountain in one of the walls.... There will be a partially covered porch area, made out of dark, pretty wood for the hot tub to be under and space for a few hammocks. Not to mention, maybe an outdoor bed/sitting area with mosquito netting around it. OH, and an outdoor shower AND outdoor fireplace.... YES, I have thought about it a lot. :D

We've stayed in timeshares with this set up - you open the master bedroom door into an enclosed sunroom with the hot tub there. The convenience is awesome, but the moisture can be a problem. Even with the insulated cover on when it's not in use, there is a lot of humidity in that room, and it comes into the rest of the house when you open the door. It's possible that this being a full glass sunroom that it wasn't properly insulated, so that may have contributed to the problem.

If I was building, I think I'd design it with a double door system to help keep the humidity out of the master bedroom and the rest of the house. You could even have a short hallway between the two doors with wainscoting and some hooks for towels and robes. :)

We have one outside in the garden, but just outside the back door. Has a nice view of the vegie garden and the chooks :) We have just replaced our 6 person one with a 2-3 person one, because of the cost of power to run it (power costs have gone up considerably since we bought the first one 5 or 6 years ago). We love it!

We generally have a spa morning and evening most days- especially now that this spa barely cools down even when turned off. The kids wander out to chat with us sometimes- we dont mind, or if we do, we send them away. Its where we often talk.

If the kids are not around, its kinda nice to be alone with dh in the spa, in the garden :) The garden is private.

But yes..if I were planning a house, it would be nice to have the spa off the main bedroom, although I personally like the outdoor feel.

You might consider a better divider than just a "privacy screen." I dunno...on the design shows on TV, or remodeling shows, or sell-this-house shows, hot tubs in bedrooms never get good comments.

I might not have been clear. I was thinking of a hot tub OUTSIDE on a deck, just outside the master bedroom. No problems with humidity, and in the future if someone didn't like it, they would still have a deck off the master bedroom.

Where we are looking at building there are no neighbors for 1/4mile. on one side and about 1/4 mile or more on the other side (across the road but not on the side we are building on).

I don't want it IN the house but rather just steps outside my master bedroom.

I might not have been clear. I was thinking of a hot tub OUTSIDE on a deck, just outside the master bedroom. No problems with humidity, and in the future if someone didn't like it, they would still have a deck off the master bedroom.

Where we are looking at building there are no neighbors for 1/4mile. on one side and about 1/4 mile or more on the other side (across the road but not on the side we are building on).

Sounds great then!

We do - it's a corner shaped tub, comfortable for two people. It is wonderful. Takes a lot of water to fill it, though. Ours has a heater built in so that when the jets are running the water is kept hot.

ETA - ours is not a "on the deck" hot tub. It's a whirlpool/jacuzzi bathtub that is meant for indoor bathroom installation. You do not keep it full, just fill it when you use it.

ETA - ours is not a "on the deck" hot tub. It's a whirlpool/jacuzzi bathtub that is meant for indoor bathroom installation. You do not keep it full, just fill it when you use it.

How often do you use it? Is it hard to keep clean? I am thinking that we would enjoy the outdoor/on the deck hot tub as likely we would use it 5-7 days a week.

When it's cold we use it a couple times a week, sometimes 3. It is very easy to clean. I run powdered dish detergent in it with the jets on after we soak occasionally, followed by a little bleach. Once in a while I'll have to wipe it down. In the summer, it is just too hot for me (we keep our house at 82 to save money), so I have to actually dust it :)

I would say for using it almost every day of the week - it would get very expensive (water bill and heating up all the water). However, we have had experience with an outdoor hot tub, and while it was wonderful to use, it was really hard to maintain and keep the chemicals right. Also - I felt like I was in a stew of bacteria after about 4 uses - it really is a perfect breeding ground (google public hot tubs). I like being able to use fresh water every time.

We have one on our deck but not right off our bedroom. If I could redesign our house, I'd have the hot tub right off our bedroom.

We love ours. I would caution you to take a look around at different brands because there is a wide variation in energy costs. We got the one that seemed to have the lowest energy costs at the time we bought it. Several brands didn't have anything available about energy costs, which I took to be a sign that the costs were high. We got a very well insulated one with a well insulated cover, and it didn't have much of an effect on our energy bills the first winter (we haven't paid attention since).

Also, design your set-up carefully. It sounds wonderful and romantic to use a hot tub in the snow. The reality is that it's a pain in the neck, if it's not set up right. We had to figure out a covered area by the tub for hanging robes and towels (also useful in the rain) because we didn't want to just throw them down on a snowy or wet table. Also think about the path from the door to where you'll climb into the tub. Since you're in Michigan where snow is common, I'd suggest putting a roof of some sort over it so that you don't have to step in snow!

Oh. :lol: That sounds awesome!!!! :D

Some day I would LOVE to have a hot tub in my house! For now, though, I have to be content just dreaming about it. Can you post some photos of the type of hot tubs you're thinking about? Or maybe you've seen some setups on line? A link maybe?

A friend of mine has one on her deck. They use it a lot, but it's not at all private. I *think* this is a hot tub. They call it a "spa." Is it the same thing?

• 1 month later...