Menu

P.E.

nov05mama

If you tend to get out regularly, to playgrounds/parks/etc and get in a lot of 'outdoor' time as far as nature walks, etc, do you still schedule specific P.E. time?

We were doing one of the labs from our RSO studies and part of the 'lesson' was getting your heart rate up through various exercises. It got me wondering, since we all did P.E. in school, if it's something that we should make a point to 'schedule' as well?

How do you handle your P.E.?? Do you let the play time BE the P.E. time? Do you schedule a set time each week to have structured P.E. time?

When my kids are elemantary age--play and family time is PE.

As they hit middle school age we try to find oppurtunies for them to play in team sports, so they learn the rules. Some of my kids are competive and some not so much, so we find teams that match their personalities. I think it's important that kids know enough about sports to join in and play with others.

In about 8th or 9th-grade I teach my kids how to set goals and follow a physical fitness plan. Several of the Boy Scouts merit badges are a great help with this.

Good question.

I don't schedule anything in particular, but I make sure they're outside in the afternoons (and in TX we don't have too many 'awful' days where they can't go out). They run, ride bikes, scooters, and hide from each other. Sometimes I'll sign one up for a sport through our city parks department, and those last a few weeks.

I did like how in public school they had "jogging club" and ran daily. Just today, too, I was remember learning fun games like dodge ball and some other 'gym' games in PE. They don't know those, but they are active> I don't think it'll hold them back not knowing those gym games!

Like a PP said, keeping the active and enjoying outdoor activities is my goal, and it's working so far.

I love hearing new ideas like this, too. There is always room for improvement. Glad you asked the ? so we have the opportunity to read other folks ideas.

I give PE assignments daily, I don't necessarily schedule them.

On good weather days, my dds ride bikes, jump rope, jump on trampoline, ride scooters(not motorized, Flintstone style:tongue_smilie:). Play football in the yard, softball, soccer, baskeball, etc... you get the picture. I don't usually assign what activity they will do outdoors. They are creative in that way & they know I want them active for their health so the carry the same opinion.

Bad weather days, we have a Wii & USE it to the fullest extent for PE. I don't like to buy the games that all they do is work the controller. They have Wii Fit, dance games, etc...anything to keep them moving & get their heart rate up for about 20 to 30 minutes.

As individuals, they are assigned 30 minutes of active Wii time, sometimes I pick the game, sometimes they choice the game. This gives them the opportunity to make good choices. They always please me.:)

Most often when these days occur, they will do their individual 30 minutes then play something together, boxing or jousting, VEY active games. Of course this doesn't replace outside activities but it beats doing nothing on bad weather days.

I believe that PE is vital, not only to their health as children but to form good habits of exercise for adulthood. They learn by example, so I try to be a good example for them. We take bike rides together. Run or power walk, swim, etc...

Blessings!;)

Well, my daughter does a weekly Judo class Saturday mornings, so I count that as P.E.

She was doing a once a month homeschool P.E. day at the Y, so I counted that as P.E.

Next week is the last week of her homeschool bowling league, and I've been counting that as P.E.

In the summer, she always takes swim lessons and I count that as P.E.

But other than that... she runs, she plays, she rides her bike or scooter, she goes to playgrounds or indoor play places, she puts on music and dances around, we sometimes go for walks, and when she wants to, I let her borrow kid's exercise videos from the library- and I count all of that as "P.E."

:)

With my 5 y/o son, he's been doing the homeschool bowling league, too, and he takes summer swimming lessons, too; but other than that he just plays.

Our P.E. "program" is similar to what Milkmaid posted. On the IHIP that we submit to the school district, I list the outdoor activities that my kids do on a daily basis during good weather (hiking, biking, roller skating, playing catch, using trampoline, swimming, etc.) and Wii physical fitness type games that we do inside. We also engage in games with neighbors (when they get home from public school) such as playing SPUD, basketball (the "horse" game), tag, hide and seek, etc. Any kind of game or activity that gets them up and moving I consider to be a P.E. activity. We also discuss the importance of exercise and nutrition as part of our health/science classes.

Michelle:001_smile:

Our P.E. "program" is similar to what Milkmaid posted. On the IHIP that we submit to the school district, I list the outdoor activities that my kids do on a daily basis during good weather (hiking, biking, roller skating, playing catch, using trampoline, swimming, etc.) and Wii physical fitness type games that we do inside. We also engage in games with neighbors (when they get home from public school) such as playing SPUD, basketball (the "horse" game), tag, hide and seek, etc.

It's too bad I don't have to report PE to anyone... This week, I could have listed "goat herding"! :lol: They and the goats both got plenty of exercise. :D

I was involved in a PE group and when we moved I started a new one.

We meet weekly to play a sport that needs groups of people and playground games. It's all volunteer. If you come the kids play and the adults lead. It's been great fun and an easy way to to "PE".

In winter we did jump houses and the Rec center pool. Some did swim lessons.

Our rec center offers homeschool PE classes as well as daytime swim classes.

I just prefer to do it ourselves for free.

Since I have to record hours for state requirements, I do count DS's swim lessons toward PE since PE is considered part of the elective hours. I also count one break a day, 15-minutes, taken for him to go burn off energy (ride bike, etc.) as PE since if he were in school, he'd have that time credited toward PE time....if he takes more time than that, it's still 15-minutes in the book. Other than that, his active play is just that, active play that he'd do anyway.

Mostly I don't worry about it, BUT my kids used to be involved in a *fabulous* PE program. It was wonderful because it introduced them to all of the team sports and playground games that we can't or just wouldn't ever play at home. And I think it's great for kids to have the experience of playing all of those at least once it a while. In a way, it's part of our cultural heritage -- games of whiffle ball and soccer and basketball and yes, even, dodge-ball.

As I said, I don't worry about PE. My kids play outside a lot, we do walks and jogs as a family, they swim (almost daily in the summer), take ballet ~3 days a week, ice skate, ds roughhouses with friends, etc, etc. I'm really not worried about their *activity* level.

But a *good* PE class can introduce kids to other sports and games they might not get the opportunity to try otherwise. A wonderful teacher can make it a great place to experiment and succeed with new activities.

I know that's often *not* the case in PE classes. ;) But if someone has the opportunity to participate in a fun, supportive class that will let them experience various team sports and playground games (and while playing rec center soccer is *fabulous*, it doesn't give kids the brief intro to a *number* of sports that make it easier and less intimidating to join in on a pick-up game at a church picnic or work get-together), I think it's a great thing to do.

I miss the kids' old PE coach. She was really wonderful. :)