Menu

Chem/Physics in one year for 4th/2nd/K - curriculum recommendations?

Literary Mom

Science is the one thing I'd like to do with all my kids (since it's not working out to do history together due to mature themes of SOTW 4), so I would really appreciate any input on how best to do it.

To stay on the WTM cycle, I would like to do a semester of chemistry and then a semester of physics (physical science). We would have done chem this past year but I delayed it because I thought Apogolia's chem/phys book was coming out this fall, and now it turns out that it won't be until next year.

I've read through many threads and checked out samples. The contenders seem to be NOEO, RS4K, Elemental Science, McHenry's Elements, and Classic Science (Mr. Q).

My dilemma is that there seems to always be a divide between K-3 and 4-6. I want something that will bridge that gap...if it's out there. So I am open to other curriculum suggestions as well, Christian or secular.

This year I wanted to keep all my kids doing the same subjects and catch up on some science that we'd never gotten to. This year I've had 1st, 3rd, and 5th graders. I bought RS4K and did Chem and Bio. For my fifth grader I got Level 1 and for my 3rd and 1st grader I got Pre-Level 1. The same topics were covered in both levels at the same time and the labs were similar. I've found it pretty easy to do both levels at the same time.

I will say that although chemistry was great, I've been less happy with biology. It seems super basic at times, but then very complicated and detailed at others and there is no human anatomy component.

Science is the one thing I'd like to do with all my kids (since it's not working out to do history together due to mature themes of SOTW 4), so I would really appreciate any input on how best to do it.

To stay on the WTM cycle, I would like to do a semester of chemistry and then a semester of physics (physical science). We would have done chem this past year but I delayed it because I thought Apogolia's chem/phys book was coming out this fall, and now it turns out that it won't be until next year.

I've read through many threads and checked out samples. The contenders seem to be NOEO, RS4K, Elemental Science, McHenry's Elements, and Classic Science (Mr. Q).

My dilemma is that there seems to always be a divide between K-3 and 4-6. I want something that will bridge that gap...if it's out there. So I am open to other curriculum suggestions as well, Christian or secular.

My suggestion would be Elemental Science doing the 2 day option for each, but doing science 4 days a week. So, basically you'd do 2 weeks in one for both chem and physics. There is not a 2 day schedule currently for Physics, but she's coming out with it soon. I think it would be enough for your older one.

This year I wanted to keep all my kids doing the same subjects and catch up on some science that we'd never gotten to. This year I've had 1st, 3rd, and 5th graders. I bought RS4K and did Chem and Bio. For my fifth grader I got Level 1 and for my 3rd and 1st grader I got Pre-Level 1. The same topics were covered in both levels at the same time and the labs were similar. I've found it pretty easy to do both levels at the same time.

I will say that although chemistry was great, I've been less happy with biology. It seems super basic at times, but then very complicated and detailed at others and there is no human anatomy component.

Thanks for this input. I'm leaning toward doing it, but it's more expensive since I'd have to buy both levels. I'm planning to go back to Apologia the year after this to do the human body and botany.

My suggestion would be Elemental Science doing the 2 day option for each, but doing science 4 days a week. So, basically you'd do 2 weeks in one for both chem and physics. There is not a 2 day schedule currently for Physics, but she's coming out with it soon. I think it would be enough for your older one.

It briefly crossed my mind to integrate them but I didn't know how, so this is good for me to consider/compare with my other options. Thanks!

Have you looked at R.E.A.L Science Odyssey for Chemistry? They don't have a physics program yet but them Chem program was designed for 3rd grade and I think would work well for all your kids. You could beef it up a bit with extra reading/experiments for your grade 4 child if you don't feel it is enough, but there are TONS of hands- on experiments and activities that even if some of the material is a bit over the heads of your younger kids, they'll have fun and still learn quite a bit. We *really* enjoyed this program. It's 36 weeks but the lessons are enough that you can double up on most of them and get done in 1/2 a year.

Unfortunately RSO doesn't have a physics one out yet. I haven't done physics yet but we'll be doing Elemental Science for that.

I've never heard of chemistry for the younger ages- what is RS4K? I have a soon-to-be 5th grade student who is *dying* to take chemistry, and I told him he has to wait until high school.

American Chemical Society has a free curriculum that you can print online for Chemistry. There is an elementary option and a middle school option. You can find the info here:

www.acs.org/education

We are going to use the elemetary option this upcoming year. I like the sounds of free. If I get in to it and find it too hard or not enough i will be considering REAL Science Odyssey OR Ellen J McHenry options.

Have you looked at R.E.A.L Science Odyssey for Chemistry? They don't have a physics program yet but them Chem program was designed for 3rd grade and I think would work well for all your kids. You could beef it up a bit with extra reading/experiments for your grade 4 child if you don't feel it is enough, but there are TONS of hands- on experiments and activities that even if some of the material is a bit over the heads of your younger kids, they'll have fun and still learn quite a bit. We *really* enjoyed this program. It's 36 weeks but the lessons are enough that you can double up on most of them and get done in 1/2 a year.

Unfortunately RSO doesn't have a physics one out yet. I haven't done physics yet but we'll be doing Elemental Science for that.

I had been to this site but it was good to revisit it. Now I feel somewhat torn between this and Elemental Science, though they are quite different, since RSO is its own text whereas Elemental uses other texts. And I'm still considering RS4K. So at least I narrowed it down to 3 :D

Assuming I don't do RS4K, I'm wondering if I take the suggestion of doing chem and physics simultaneously, using RSO Chem 2 days and Elemental Phys 2 days. Or would that be too confusing (and possibly expensive) for everyone? :confused:

My other option would be to just use Elemental, double the 2 day week, and do each subject in separate semesters, because I like her WTM approach (and underlying Christian worldview with science credentials/experience).

...But why does SWB recommend RS4K in TWTM and not mention Elemental? It is because it's not an actual text but more of guide/schedule w/supplements?

I had been to this site but it was good to revisit it. Now I feel somewhat torn between this and Elemental Science, though they are quite different, since RSO is its own text whereas Elemental uses other texts. And I'm still considering RS4K. So at least I narrowed it down to 3 :D

Assuming I don't do RS4K, I'm wondering if I take the suggestion of doing chem and physics simultaneously, using RSO Chem 2 days and Elemental Phys 2 days. Or would that be too confusing (and possibly expensive) for everyone? :confused:

My other option would be to just use Elemental, double the 2 day week, and do each subject in separate semesters, because I like her WTM approach (and underlying Christian worldview with science credentials/experience).

...But why does SWB recommend RS4K in TWTM and not mention Elemental? It is because it's not an actual text but more of guide/schedule w/supplements?

I would do each subject in separate semesters as I think it would be less confusing that way, and if you do decide to add in living books and other such things, a whole lot less confusing for mom to keep track of everything. :tongue_smilie:

IIRC Elemental Science came out after the 3rd edition of the WTM was published.

I would do each subject in separate semesters as I think it would be less confusing that way, and if you do decide to add in living books and other such things, a whole lot less confusing for mom to keep track of everything. :tongue_smilie:

IIRC Elemental Science came out after the 3rd edition of the WTM was published.

Ah, that makes sense, on both counts :)

Ah, that makes sense, on both counts :)

:blink: I just reread the first sentence of my post. That didn't come out at all like I wanted it to. :glare: It's almost scary how uncoordinated my mind and fingers are at the moment. :lol: I'm glad you managed to figure out what I was trying to say. :tongue_smilie:

:blink: I just reread the first sentence of my post. That didn't come out at all like I wanted it to. :glare: It's almost scary how uncoordinated my mind and fingers are at the moment. :lol: I'm glad you managed to figure out what I was trying to say. :tongue_smilie:

It was clear to me so maybe we think alike :)

I'm using Noeo Chemistry I with my K'er and we both LOVE it!

Now I'm back to comparing four programs...argh! :lol: I sort of feel like taking RSO off the table since it doesn't have physics and I'd have to revisit this whole thing again when we finished up chemistry. Also, I'm more bookish than hands-on, so though I want to improve on the latter, I need to be realistic so it's probably not feasible to use a heavily experiment-based curriculum like RSO.

I think in my heart (silly, I know) I'm attracted to Elemental the most because it's basically an enhancement to TWTM rather than its own curriculum. I think I'm just wanting a little more hand holding so if I use that as well as Classical House of Learning for history/lit, that might do the trick...

If money were no object and I was more organized, I'd buy them all and try a week of each during the summer, but that's not going to happen!

• 8 months later...

We did end up using Elemental Chemistry this semester and it's been good, but not great for us, so I'm going back to the drawing board before we start physics in another month - I'm considering continuing with Elemental, but it's been a bit dry & rigorous, esp. for my 2nd grader (who is a grade ahead of her age) - supplementing it with other materials helped, but I'm leaning toward trying something that's an actual curriculum, rather than just a spine/guide. Any suggestions for a physics program geared at the grammar stage (2nd-4th grade) that could be completed in a semester that's not extremely heavy on experiments but not too heady either? I know, I drive a hard bargain :ohmy:

We did end up using Elemental Chemistry this semester and it's been good, but not great for us, so I'm going back to the drawing board before we start physics in another month - I'm considering continuing with Elemental, but it's been a bit dry & rigorous, esp. for my 2nd grader (who is a grade ahead of her age) - supplementing it with other materials helped, but I'm leaning toward trying something that's an actual curriculum, rather than just a spine/guide. Any suggestions for a physics program geared at the grammar stage (2nd-4th grade) that could be completed in a semester that's not extremely heavy on experiments but not too heady either? I know, I drive a hard bargain :ohmy:

Mr Q has a sale soon . I like his life so I am going to try physics nexy school year, Also I am going to use explore education physics

Have you ever looked at Christian Kids Explore Physics? We are doing the Earth science one for my three kiddos, which range from 6th grade down to Kindy, and I supplement the 6th grader with books from the library and extra reading from BJU's Earth Science program(something I have that was given to me. I only use it to supplement) The experiments are all easy stuff you can do with household items, like making the earth's layers out of playdough, or making a salt dough volcano, etc. It's a great spine and isn't too religious to where you do stay on the topic of science for most of the reading. The author talks to the reader in a way that isnt dry and boringlike some texts are. Its usually pretty cheap too!

It's really hard to choose - NOEO, RS4K, Mr. Q, and Christian Kids Explore Physics all look good, though I'm leaning toward the first two.

Does anyone have any insight into which one might work best to condense into one semester and use with a range of ages (K, 2nd, 4th, but mainly the older two)?

RS4K is 10 chapters meant to be done in one semester. The levels follow the same topics, level one just goes more in depth and the experiments are different. You could buy both levels. Do pre level one reading together, have your older child read level one on his own and talk about it. The chapters are short. You could read the whole thing in 15 minutes. Then do both experiments in one week. For physics they are pretty easy.

• 3 weeks later...

...still not feeling like I've found what I'm looking for, though I may go ahead and buy Mr. Q's physics curriculum since it's half off this week...it's not really classical, but I could prompt them to narrate...or I wonder if I could combine it with the lowest level of RS4K? Not sure how much they overlap.

I am doing what you want this year with a 4th and 2nd grader. We are using Adventures with Atoms and Molecules for chemistry. We do the experiment together. We read more about it from the Usborne science encyclopedia, and sometimes go to the suggested websites for videos and games for the kids to do. If possible I pick up a Magic Schoolbus video or book to go along or a book from the library. My 4th grader does the work layed out in WTM 4th grade science. My 2nd grader draws a picture of what we did and labels it. She then writes a sentence or two about what she learned or dictates to me and I write it on her page. I also use Science in the Kitchen by Usborne. It has some of the same things as in Adventures, but is more colorful and easier explanations. It would be a just right chemistry book for your youngers. I used it with my odd in K.

We start physics next month and will do a condensed 1 semester class. We will use various books that are listed in WTM 4th grade science and the same basic steps as above.

I am doing what you want this year with a 4th and 2nd grader. We are using Adventures with Atoms and Molecules for chemistry. We do the experiment together. We read more about it from the Usborne science encyclopedia, and sometimes go to the suggested websites for videos and games for the kids to do. If possible I pick up a Magic Schoolbus video or book to go along or a book from the library. My 4th grader does the work layed out in WTM 4th grade science. My 2nd grader draws a picture of what we did and labels it. She then writes a sentence or two about what she learned or dictates to me and I write it on her page. I also use Science in the Kitchen by Usborne. It has some of the same things as in Adventures, but is more colorful and easier explanations. It would be a just right chemistry book for your youngers. I used it with my odd in K.

We start physics next month and will do a condensed 1 semester class. We will use various books that are listed in WTM 4th grade science and the same basic steps as above.

We, too, have been doing that with chemistry, this past semester but I really miss the narrative flow of the Apologia books - Usborne is so dry and text-bookish. I want to try a different approach for this next semester when we do physics. I'm also contemplating forgetting physics and just doing the Apologia Botany books, since we have three to try do over the next year!