Menu

Algebra --- 8th or 9th????

I've always assumed 8th was better if the kiddo could handle it --- but now I'm thinking --- What's the hurry!!!??

With duel credit, you can get to calculus easy by the end of high school because college classes cover topics in one semester.

What do you see as the benefits for algebra in either grade?

Do you recommend an algebra readiness test -- like the Iowa Algebra Aptitude Test?

progress.gifedit.gif

I've always assumed 8th was better if the kiddo could handle it --- but now I'm thinking --- What's the hurry!!!??

With duel credit, you can get to calculus easy by the end of high school because college classes cover topics in one semester.

Do you recommend an algebra readiness test -- like the Iowa Algebra Aptitude Test?

progress.gifedit.gif

Much of the decision will take into account your plans for high school level sciences. A physics class (conceptual) or chemistry will require a working knowledge of basic algebra. My feeling is to always go to the next thing...if they are ready for algebra in 8th, do it. If not ready, it's fine to do it in 9th.

We went ahead with the Algebra. I guess our "hurry" was to get as much math under our belt as we could before beginning to take the ACT tests. We begin testing in our family in 9th grade. (it is a cost issue..other standarized test are $100---ACT $35) It has been helpful to us to have Algebra and Geo before taking the test.

I also agree with the posts about the science series.

My two older girls did Algebra I in 7th and 8th grades.

My oldest followed this path because she was taking Algebra I in ps in 7th grade and the teacher didn't teach algebra. All he taught was how to plug things into a graphing calculator. She had no idea how to do the simplest thing, even graphing a basic equation like y = 3x + 2. So when she came back home for 8th grade, I had her do Jacobs Algebra.

My middle dd followed this path because she was a very young 7th grader who was very ready to move on from prealgebra, but was freaked out by the look of Jacobs Algebra. I found out about Kinetic Books Algebra I, which was actually offering their brand-new program as a free download for word-of-mouth advertising. My dd wasn't sure about it either and asked to use both programs, which she did for all of 7th grade. She dropped Jacobs at the end of 7th grade and did just Kinetic Books from that point.

My youngest is in 7th grade this year and is doing a very basic prealgebra program. I would like for her to do prealgebra again with a better program (like Kinetic Books). As soon as she's finished with whatever program I end up getting her to do after MUS, I'll start her in Algebra I. It will probably be partway through 8th grade.

My kids started algebra when they were solid in pre-algebra. They were ready and motivated and WANTED to learn algebra- so there was no point in not letting them do it.

The benefit of getting done earlier is that you get through more math and hence more advanced science. DD took algebra in 7th and was excited because it meant she could take an algebra based physics class the following year. Her plan is to complete calculus in 11th to be ready for calculus based physics in 12th. (DS has started algebra in 6th grade and will finish in fall of 7th grade; he is younger and we are taking more time with him.)

It is bad to rush - the student has to be ready.

OTOH, not letting a motivated and prepared student learn algebra and instead forcing him to cycle through prealgebra again, as it happens in the public school can lead to boredom and turn him off math.

You know you student best.

I

This may be true, but at our university, calculus 1 is a five hour class which requires another ten hours work at home - so the student would work at least 15 hours per week on math. That does not save any time compared to stretching it out over a year, because some other subject will have to suffer.

We are planning on Alg 1 for 8th if dd is ready for it. We just pulled them out of Pvt school when we moved to Ohio Sunday. We plan to do pre Alg from now threw the summer and we will asses then if we need more pre Alg or not. She plans on a Science Major so I want to make sure her math is sharp and advanced enough to handle all the science.

If the child is ready for it, there is no reason NOT to do Algebra, in my opinion. It seems like a wasted year to do pre-Algebra when they are ready for Algebra.

I completely agree. To me it's just as bad to be under placed in math (or any subject for that matter) as it is to be moved along too quickly. You don't need to rush to get there, but if they are ready - then do it. It will open up science options for them as well.

Heather

Algebra 1 in 9th also tends to mean Geometry in 10th and Algebra 2 in 11th -- right before most 11th graders typically take a May or June SAT test, which mostly focuses on Algebra 1 and 2 topics for the math section! ;)

I currently have a 12yr old in one of my Algebra 2 classes--one of my top students!

The problem I see the most, however, is a PARENT placing a child into Algebra 1 who is just NOT ready-- just because they desire the student to complete Calc in high school...

It is pretty rare to see a student 'under-placed'-- in these FEW situations it is almost worse than being over-placed!

I've had to slow down a few students this year who were 'B' students. They had been young Algebra 1 students (7th and 8th grades) and while they did fine A's and B's in Algebra 1 and Geometry, they were solid B and even LOW B students in Algebra 2. I/We have no regrets about taking a second year for Algebra 2 as these students are now 'A' students with a very solid understanding of Algebra--they will do great in Pre-Calc next year!

My feeling is to always go to the next thing...if they are ready for algebra in 8th, do it. If not ready, it's fine to do it in 9th.

:iagree:

I don't know. It's not as easy as I would have thought. If we do math at home, ds will do calculus in 12th grade because he had Algebra in 8th. If he continues with his math at CC next semester (10th grade), he will have to take Int Alg->College Alg->Trig->Pre-Calc Alg->Calculus. So, he might wind up in Calculus in 12th grade anyway, and he'll have to spend the same amount of time getting there. And since College Alg and up count for a year of high school credit, he could argue that he's had enough high school math after Trig. I will mention that there is a combined Pre-Calc Alg/Trig class, fwiw. This sequence is not what I would have expected.

This may be true, but at our university, calculus 1 is a five hour class which requires another ten hours work at home - so the student would work at least 15 hours per week on math. That does not save any time compared to stretching it out over a year, because some other subject will have to suffer.

Good point. Calculus is a 5hr class at our CC as well.

I tried the Algebra thing in 8th. Mine sailed thru elementary math and I assumed she'd sail thru Algebra, as well.

All went well until about half-way thru the year and we had to put on the breaks. She wasn't retaining much at all, esp when I went back over the prev months' work.

This year we started Alg 1 all over again over the summer, moved more slowly, and magically in the fall/early winter the light bulb came on and she's back to sailing again in the 9th grade.

Just because they have an aptitude for math in elementary school doesn't mean that Alg 1 will come easy in the 8th grade. That's what we found out.

But every child is different....

Best wishes,

Kim

If there is any doubt then I'd rather see Algebra 1 worked in 9th grade any day over Algebra 1 worked at a B-C level in 8th.

That extra year of maturity really makes a HUGE difference by Pre-Calc.

If the child is ready for it, there is no reason NOT to do Algebra, in my opinion. It seems like a wasted year to do pre-Algebra when they are ready for Algebra.

:iagree: And you risk them being bored with math which is never a good thing. If he's ready, and does algebra early, it opens up so many more options for science since you're not having to wait for the math pre-req. We used Saxon and went to algebra from 8/7. But I always gave my dd the option of dropping the algebra and doing algebra 1/2 instead. IOW she wasn't stuck in algebra, she had an easy out if it was needed. I'm glad I didn't force her to do another year of pre-algebra with algebra 1/2.

If he continues with his math at CC next semester (10th grade), he will have to take Int Alg->College Alg->Trig->Pre-Calc Alg->Calculus.

Could there be an error in the sequence above? At the local community college, the progression is

Intermediate Algebra

College Algebra

Trigonometry

Calculus

My daughter had taken Intermediate Algebra at home and tested into College Algebra. She subsequently took Trigonometry. For both College Algebra and Trigonometry, the textbook used was Sullivan's PreCalculus. My understanding is that College Algebra plus Trigonometry equals PreCalculus.

Regards,

Kareni

Could there be an error in the sequence above? At the local community college, the progression is

Intermediate Algebra

College Algebra

Trigonometry

Calculus

My daughter had taken Intermediate Algebra at home and tested into College Algebra. She subsequently took Trigonometry. For both College Algebra and Trigonometry, the textbook used was Sullivan's PreCalculus. My understanding is that College Algebra plus Trigonometry equals PreCalculus.

Regards,

Kareni

I have the same understanding of Pre-Calculus, but there is no error in the CC math sequence. I don't really understand the difference between College Algebra and Pre-Calculus Algebra. FL state universities have the same sequence.

I asked about the difference between College Algebra and Pre-Calculus Algebra. Here is the response:

College Algebra is a 3 credit class ( MAC1105) and this is similar to what would happen in a Algebra II high school class. PreCalc is split into two different courses MAC1140 (3 credits) includes topics found in a high school Analytic Geometry course -- conics/complex numbers/etc… Then MAC1147 includes everything in MAC1140 along with Trig and this is a 5 credit course. And of course we offer a separate Trig course MAC1114 (3 credits). Each of these classes will not be counted as duplicates for any state college in Florida – we all share the same numbering system.

Which makes me wonder if College Algebra is similar to Algebra II high school, then what is Intermediate Algebra? Here's the description:

Major topics include factoring, algebraic fractions, radicals and rational exponents, complex numbers, quadratic equations, rational equations, linear equations and inequalities, systems of linear equations and inequalities, introduction to functions and applications.

I'm going to be taking ds to the CC for the CPT in a few weeks. If I get lucky, he will test into College Algebra even though we haven't done Algebra 2 at home yet.