Menu

Low Carbers... anyone NOT track what they eat?

I have been tracking every morsel for the past 3 weeks and 2 days and I'm getting sick of it. :glare: Someone told me it is very important but is it really?

One thing I'm doing is measuring my food. So in the morning I take a 1 cup measure and put peppers, onions, squash, mushrooms etc. until it fills the cup.

Then I cook it for my omelette.

I have been weighing my protein too. I'm not sure how much I should eat though, is a 6 oz portion of fish too much, should I go back to 4 oz?

I measure my cream for my coffee.

So do I really have to keep track of each item??

BTW, I've lost 14 pounds!!! :party:

I don't. I just eat as much as I know I can eat, and don't eat anything I know is loaded with carbs: bread, potatoes, starchy vegetables, fruit other than melons or berries, pastas, rice...all the things I love, BTW, lol. I don't count carbs at all.

What you are doing is working. Why change it. I certainly wouldn't cut back on protein portions like Salmon. Oh, and I don't track it and I "cheat" often... it is still working.

My cheats are all good for me... not refined or sugar, but maybe extra legumes or oatmeal that wasn't allowed to begin with.

What you are doing is working. Why change it. I certainly wouldn't cut back on protein portions like Salmon.

Because I've been browsing the Atkins Forums and those people are serious

about measurements and portions and tracking. I'm spooked. :D

If anyone doesn't measure/track, I don't think they'd ever admit it for fear of being shunned and berated. :lol:

If anyone doesn't measure/track, I don't think they'd ever admit it for fear of being shunned and berated. :lol:

:smilielol5:You had better not become a member there then, you would be supporting their behavior.

I do moderately low-carb (currently trying Dukan) and don't log my food or measure portions aside from grains & fruit. I've lost 3.8 lbs. and 0.9% bodyfat in the past 8 days.

Way to go! Good idea to post our progress. I will let you know next time I see my Curves trainer and get a copy.

I have been tracking every morsel for the past 3 weeks and 2 days and I'm getting sick of it. :glare: Someone told me it is very important but is it really?

One thing I'm doing is measuring my food. So in the morning I take a 1 cup measure and put peppers, onions, squash, mushrooms etc. until it fills the cup.

Then I cook it for my omelette.

I have been weighing my protein too. I'm not sure how much I should eat though, is a 6 oz portion of fish too much, should I go back to 4 oz?

I measure my cream for my coffee.

So do I really have to keep track of each item??

BTW, I've lost 14 pounds!!! :party:

I've eaten controlled-carb for well over ten years now...I measured initially to get an idea about how much to eat - but that was only for a short period. What I've learned over the last ten years - eat to satiety, eat an adequate (but not high) intake of protein, lots of non-starchy veggies....and you'll be fine. If you're hungry eat, if you're not, don't.

I only carb count. I read the lables to see how much carb is in the item and the serving size. I really do not count protiens. I just make sure I have enough protien to meet my requirement for my body structure/size (via Protien Power book). Once I have my minimum intake of protien I do not count protiens anymore. I do not go obsessed by weighing with a scale. I just use my best judgement with the protien by looking at the size and just go with the average protien amount for each type of meat. It is easy once you remember the numbers. Each meat type have different amount of protein. I just take the average of the meat types and just remember that number then go by my hand to determine the protien amount. No measuring with ruler or weighing with a scale.

My main issue is to count my carbs and make sure I have enough fat in the diet.

I've never written anything down. Early on I paid some attention to protein grams, because I didn't want to accidentally go too high. Now I don't need to do that anymore, as I can eyeball the protein in a serving. I've been upping my carbs a tiny bit though, so I am casually counting those until I get the hang of it. But it's nothing to stress about; I'm just making small adjustments. :)

Edited to add: Yeah, I almost never visit that forum you mentioned. I'm slender, and I think my loved ones would start to worry about an eating disorder if I was religiously logging my food intake. Plus I did plenty of logging when I was keeping food diaries for myself and breastfeeding DD2, who has food sensitivities. No more food diaries: I quit!

Edited by jplain

I don't track my food. I just don't have time. I don't eat processed foods, everything is homemade aside from a few items. I don't have time to input all the recipes and get the nutrition info. I don't measure my salad dressing portions, I apply enough salad dressing to my liking. Tracking my food would be incredibly time consuming.

I don't measure my portions. I just estimate my portion sizes.

Lately I'm using a lunch size plate for my dinner. I'm trying to have a large salad or large portion of vegetables. I take a tiny portion of potatoes/pasta/rice. I'm not going back for seconds, not matter how hungry I am or how good it tasted. I am fairly generous with my protein serving though. That helps keep me feeling full longer.

Yesterday I skipped lunch because I just wasn't hungry. I had breakfast at 10 (because I got up at 9). I didn't see the point of eating if I wasn't hungry.

I do lose weight doing this. I think tracking food and calories is only important if you eat unhealthy foods. I don't think people realize the amount of calories in junky food. I don't think people understand what a proper portion size is. For those people, I think tracking and calorie counting is important for weight loss. I don't think tracking is necessary for everyone.

I'm obese, so know that upfront.

However, in another time/lifespace, I reduced down to a healthy weight doing low carb.

What I observed (at Low Carb friends and other places) is that the less weight you have to lose, the closer to goal and the more female you are, the more you have to weigh, track and measure.

I'm obese, so know that upfront.

However, in another time/lifespace, I reduced down to a healthy weight doing low carb.

What I observed (at Low Carb friends and other places) is that the less weight you have to lose, the closer to goal and the more female you are, the more you have to weigh, track and measure.

Ok, that makes sense. I would like to lose 72 more pounds, so I have a while before I need to track. :)

I need to stop being obsessive about weighing myself. :001_huh: But... it is so nice to see the scale going DOWN! :w00t: