Menu

old

I was in a CC program last year. This year I wanted to make my own stuff, but didn't quite accomplish that.

I was going to be part of a co-op this past year, but it fell through. We made our own history sentences by looking at the important events for our time period in history (listed in the history section of the WTM) and created a sentence for each one. Unfortunately, the sentences were not for the time period we were going to study at home. It was such a big job, I wasn't up for doing it again on my own. I ended up using CC's history sentences that corresponded to our history cycle. That meant that I chose from cycle 2 and 3 and then bought/borrowed both CD's.

I did make my own science. I went through the Usborne Science Encycopedia and pulled out definitions and lists important to the subject we learned about this year.

Yes, then you can piece it all apart, and put it all together in order, and then also add some words that are missing, and then add your own jingles that are better for english like Shurley Jingles and LFC Latin for Latin and then cut the whole thing into 4 cycles which makes it easier with SOTW or whatever other history you use... and then do it with some other families.... which makes it more fun. :)

CC certainly doesn't "own" the idea of chronological history or flashcards for memory work. :001_smile: I would say many, many people use these methods without even knowing about CC. We have used flashcards for memory work because I read a lot of Montessori books when dc were little, for example.

You are always better off making your own materials, as they will be specific to your family. The second choice, if you don't have time, is to purchase them or join an outside group. So go for it!! :D

No, you have not gone off the deep end. :lol: I think most hsing moms/parents have considered something that was tailored just to their family at one time or another. I also think most of us see that it's not feasible to do that in most subjects most of the time. I think the history cards would be something that you'd use alot and would be worth your time to do. Would love to hear what you end up doing!

I'm planning to do this with CHOW. I plan to post anything I make somewhere, but I'm moving atm so it will be a few weeks at least. I will be choosing from CC's History Sentences (I have the 2nd ed. guide) and maybe adding my own. I'm doing (okay, will be doing) the Science ones out of order, but I'll probably cover them all eventually. I haven't decided on the grammar or Latin, those can wait until this summer.

No I am doing the same thing. I sent out an email to a few hs families that I thought would be interested in a group where we can work on memory work etc. But so far the response has been disappointing. Oh well, I must move ahead.

I probably spent $20 on all the cards that she has on that site. I printed them on cardstock, cut them and then laminated and cut them again. Time-consuming, but so worth it. I'll have them for years to come. I'm working on making some American history ones using her format. I think the smaller ones (smaller than the VP ones) are easier to put on a timeline.:D