Menu

TOG Question

I'm looking at TOG as a possible option for my high schoolers this year. We use HOD but they don't go up to high school at this point so I'm looking at other currics.

When I go to Bookshelf Central and get the list of books for the various stages, for an entire year, am I correct in assuming that ALL of the books (or a similar substitution) will be used in the curriculum that year? Or do I pick and choose only some of them?

I've heard TOG is a "buffet you choose from" but I don't know if that means the books too. I've downloaded the digital samples but I can't make heads nor tails of it.:confused:

Thanks so much!

MP

Yes, you can pick and choose which books to read. Once you buy the TM you will see that there is a list of recommended resources - a list of books they recommend you read in a given week. Then there are alternative resources - books to add in if they want more about a subject or to use if you can't find one of the recommended resources.

We use our library for most of the books and every once in a while I can't find one. But maybe only 2 a year. Right now my kids are in UG so I really pick and choose which books because there are so many options. As they get older it will be easier (I think) to have them read all or at least most of the books in D or R. Depends on the child - how much interest there is and how well they read.

From what I've gathered TOG is similar to HOD, just not quite as laid out. You have to plan your own weeks, but TOG's idea is that in the high school years the child can plan their own weeks by looking at the book lists themselves.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

I know somebody else who has used TOG a lot longer than I have will (hopefully) chime in.

You do not need all the books. Trust me on this. Look at the sample. Look at the Reading Assignments. Usually pages 4-5. One page has Primary Resources listed for each level, Lower Grammar, Upper Grammar, Dialectic and Rhetoric. The other page has Alternate or Extra Resources listed for all levels.

I pick and choose - based on my oldest's reading level - which books to use from these selections for each objective. I might choose a Dialectic book for History Core readings and another for History In Deph and yet another for Literature. If the suggested books aren't in my library and I don't think I will need them long term then I substitute with something similar from the library.

I have the hardest time with Bookshelf Central and rely on the Reading Assignements to do books. I purchase 1 unit at the time (I use DE) and try to stay 9 weeks ahead.

Hope this helps

When I go to Bookshelf Central and get the list of books for the various stages' date=' for an entire year, am I correct in assuming that ALL of the books (or a similar substitution) will be used in the curriculum that year? Or do I pick and choose only some of them?

MP[/quote']

Each book will be used to some capacity. I believe in Bookshelf Central, it will list the purpose of the book - is it History, Literature, Church History, Govt., etc? The things I check before buying:

1. Can I get it at the library?

2. Is it a primary resource for the major subjects (History, Literature)?

3. Are we going to do Govt., Church History, Philosophy, Art, etc (i.e. the "extra" subjects) so that we'll really need this book?

4. Is there an alternate resource that I already have/can find at the library/that's cheaper or better that I want to use.

Without the entire year's curriculum in front of you, it might be hard to go through and figure out what to buy. I always print off a copy of each yellow "Reading Assignment" page before the start of the year and note in the squares if a resource is available at the library or if I want to buy it (new or used).

So far, for rhetoric I've found it most helpful to buy the primary history core resources, the various Norton's (literature), and a couple of the primary history in-depth resources. Most of the literature selections can be found in a comparable edition at the library.

Hope this helps!

The books that Bookshelf lists are all of the Primary (p.4) resources. Your first question would be do you expect your hs'ers to take all available electives: philosophy, arts, church history in addition to the history, lit/writing that are pretty standard? That will narrow your choices down somewhat. Next, what kind of readers do you have? If you have a reluctant reader you will probably want to cull the lit selections down to a minimum. TOG has a chart for how to do this but I think it is with the bought package, not with the sample. So you will pick and choose somewhat depending on your student - a humanities focused, strong reader will probably use all the resources while a math/science focused kid may do less. I hope this make sense, it will as you get to "know" the program. I see pp covered a lot of this while I was typing but there it is again.

I would take your sample and look first at p.4-5 of each week. This is the reading assignments. Buy or check library (however *you* roll:)) for the books needed to give it a try. I would not try electives at this point just get your history core and in-depth and lit selections to start. Now look on the sidebar for Student Activities. You will scroll down through these until you get to either Dialectic or Rhetoric (depending on age/level of student). This is where their assignments are. I would print out pages pertaining to their level. Again on sidebar you will see Teacher's Notes. This is where you are given background information to read and discussion notes to help you lead discussions at the end of the week. Hopefully this helps you get started at least. You kinda just have to dig in and start to get a feel for it.

I've been trying to figure this out too.

For Year 3, Dialect, all units, just history, just the primary list, there are 23 items listed. Seriously? Do you use all 23 books for that one year, that one level, that one topic?

Ok, maybe you just pick the books that cover more than one unit. There are 12.

And then if the strong point of TOG is the discussions you have with the books... if you only pick 12 history books, how with the discussions go? Or do you need all 23?

I'm in search of the perfect curriculum for D and R stages. And while I'm pretty sure TOG is not what I'm looking for, I can't help but keep looking at it because there are so many that LOVE it. And I'm trying to figure out why, and what I'm missing.

Thanks.

For Year 3, Dialect, all units, just history, just the primary list, there are 23 items listed. Seriously? Do you use all 23 books for that one year, that one level, that one topic?

I haven't used TOG, so I can't really comment, but I wanted to point out that this is not so different from other companies that use real books. I looked at the D list for Y3 History and lit and got about 40 results. With my last SL order (Core 3), I received about 50 books. That was for history, readers, and read-alouds.

Anyway, I can't help but be curious about TOG, too. :tongue_smilie:

:bigear:

I plan my year with the TOG manual in front of me. I have a hard time with Bookshelf, as well.

I only buy books that I cannot substitute from my library. Reading the discussion pages, etc, will help you determine if you will be able to use a substitute. I don't plan to use every book for every kid but I do expect to use every book by the time I've graduated every kid, if that makes sense.

When people talk about the 'buffet', they are referring to the concept that you can pick the subjects you will study out of the lesson plans.

The Bookshelf list for my UG student next year was like 50 books! But when I used the lesson plans to make my booklist, I will likely buy 9 or 10, skipping some and finding library subs for others.

HTH!

Yes. But remember there are many topics. So far this year we have studied WWI, the roaring 20's, Prohibition, The Great Depression/Dust Bowl, WWII, India, China, The Korean War, etc., etc... and we are just a bit more than 1/2 way through Year 4. Remember at D stage they read these books independently. My 2 D stage kids have no problems reading all of the Primary and In-Depth books choices every week.

Ok, maybe you just pick the books that cover more than one unit. There are 12.

These are the ones I make sure I buy. I can usually get about 2/3rds of the Primary and In-Depth book selections from my local library. But my library system is huge, so I know that makes it easier.

And then if the strong point of TOG is the discussions you have with the books... if you only pick 12 history books, how with the discussions go? Or do you need all 23?

Yes, you will need all of the Primary books (or comparable alternates in order to follow the discussion questions laid out in the Teacher's Notes.

I'm in search of the perfect curriculum for D and R stages. And while I'm pretty sure TOG is not what I'm looking for, I can't help but keep looking at it because there are so many that LOVE it. And I'm trying to figure out why, and what I'm missing.

Thanks.

TOG has been a great fit for us. My kids adore history and are strong readers. They love our week-end discussions and I love how the discussions really solidify what we are learning. Good luck finding what fits for your family.

I recommend purchasing the curriculum first and then deciding on books. I realize some people do not prefer this method, but believe me in the long run it will save you money. At the very least you could poll people here or at the ToG forum for the particular year you will be using.

I'm looking at TOG as a possible option for my high schoolers this year. We use HOD but they don't go up to high school at this point so I'm looking at other currics.

When I go to Bookshelf Central and get the list of books for the various stages' date=' for an entire year, am I correct in assuming that ALL of the books (or a similar substitution) will be used in the curriculum that year? Or do I pick and choose only some of them?

I've heard TOG is a "buffet you choose from" but I don't know if that means the books too. I've downloaded the digital samples but I can't make heads nor tails of it.:confused:

Thanks so much!

MP[/quote']

Thanks so much!

MP[/quote']

I only have a LG student but to answer some of your questions (I did not read all of the replies so far), yes, you are correct, all the books you find listed at Bookshelf Central are scheduled and are found on page 4 of the weekly plans. That is your primary list. You also have page 5 in the weekly plans, which gives you alternate resources. This list gives you some alternates that can be used as spines (like SOTW) which can help you cut back on the cost of books.

We use SOTW (although TOG has it at the UG level as an alternate) and for this Year we purchased all the books. Next year there are 81 books for the LG level on the primary list. Needless to say we cannot afford spending that kind of money and our library system while good, since we live in Canada, we cannot find many of the titles. I have set a budget for my books and am going based on that. I think someone mentioned already that the best way to go with the books is to have the Year Plan in front of you in order to decide what you want to do. What you need to focus on is figuring out what you want to use from all the resources and then making sure the books you are using will cover it. The literature titles however have activities in the SAP's (Student Activity Pages) so it is not usually easy to substitute. That said, you do not have to use them all. I just went through the list of literature titles last night and picked something for each week except for two. I want to slowly transition my son to UG work so I picked some UG titles, many LG titles and was able to find some from the library. I also own one or two already.

One thing I want to emphasize though is that you need to spend time with the sample and in the Lampstand website in order to figure out how the curriculum works and if it is what you are looking for. Then you can look at what to do about the books. You need to figure out where all your information is, on the sample and on the website.

There are many ways to cut back costs on books. Many on here buy used, use the library, set a budget (like us) that they don't want to exceed etc. Feel free to ask questions if you find something confusing. TOG does have a learning curve but it is well worth at least looking into :).

Here's a link from the Lampstand website directly. I prefer using it because it gives you the books in a list with all the details. I transferred the literature titles for UG and LG on Excel next to each other and did a week by week comparison with the Year plan open. The weeks the books are used are not provided on Bookshelf Central or the Lampstand website (only the Units) and this is why it is useful to have the Year plan on hand. I also find preview pages from Amazon, Rainbow etc. in order to help me decide on some of the books that I do not otherwise have access to.

http://www.lampstandbookshelf.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=resources

Edited by Guest

Bookshelf & finding TOG books in the library...

Just an FYI for tog people, the Bookshelf webiste is now linked up to the worldcat website... this means while browsing at the bookshelf by year plan, I can see if it is in my library or not... :-D

Completely worth setting up a free account in worldcat for... :D