Menu

Choice overload

Annabel Lee

How do you choose curriculum? Do you look at every option available within certain boundaries particular to you (classical, CM, lit-based, etc.), or do you have another way of narrowing it down? I hate that even after I've researched & compared things as much as I possibly can via the internet, I still can't choose. Do you even research all your options? It feels like such a chore. What is your thought process for choosing? Teach me. I'm listening. :bigear: :D

I have nothing to teach in this regard, LOL! I am in the same boat.. :grouphug:

Right now I have a hard time deciding on what to use for Spelling, Vocab, Science and Latin... Atleast I have fixed on Maths, Grammar, History and Penmanship.

Look at samples, read reviews, ask on this forum and finally, if you don't like what you decided to buy, you can always resell it on this forum. :001_smile:

HTH

Hi, I wish Ellie would come on here...she explains this better than I do.

I try not to let myself be "stuck" in curriculum. We use pieces from lots of different programs. Like I was saying in another thread, if Sonlight isn't hands-on enough for you, add in hands-on activities that go with the book you're reading.

Sometimes it helps me if I map out exactly what I'm looking to teach that year - to who and how...and pick curricula that would help me teach what I mapped out.

You could do that with TWTM - go through the year and map out exactly what you want to teach.

It's a tough question...and so many possible answers...and I did such a bad job explaining my answer... :D

I've probably found most of my choices by first hearing about them on forums with like-minded moms sharing our philosohies. We are mostly Charlotte Mason educators---so I'm on an Ambleside and Simply Charlotte Mason forum where moms share lost of ideas. I also hang out here for ideas, because I throw in some WTM-type programs. I search the forums, ask questions, and then research that curriculum's website and do a web search for reviews (sometimes). And no choice is permamanent:) When a newer homeschooler, I also liked to go to conventions so I could actually get my hands on the books. Prayers and asking hubby are also good ideas! Don't know if that helps any:) Gina

When I was starting out, I ordered all the catalogs I could: Sonlight, Veritas Press, Home Science Tools, Rainbow Resource Center, Timberdoodle, etc., etc. and read them from cover to cover - over and over again - until I had a good handle on the differences between different curriculums. I also listened to folks on these boards talking about various curriculums and as time went on, began researching particulars online (although that's more time consuming than using catalogs). I also try to go to conventions, book stores, or curriculum fairs and actually put my hands on books to look at them....

The longer you homeschool the more you recognize what will fit, what won't fit and what looks so tempting, but is a bad match. lol

I find good customer reviews invaluable. Post it on a forum or research one of the hs reviews websites. You can learn a lot even if they person didnt' like it (too much hands on, goes to fast, too much practice, too much teacher prep, etc.) All of these comments can help you decide and tell you a bit more than the publisher can.

I also have asked my local hs friends if they have a curric that I can borrow for a couple of days. I love to spend an hour perusing the pages to get a feel for how it works. I've also preinted off samples for some programs.

Conventions are also helpful to touch, read and smell the books and speak to a rep.

Don't get caught into thinking the perfect thing is out there. It probably isn't. You will find something that is very good and will either tweak it or not, but be quite satisfied. Breathe! :o)

Good question. Philosophy wise, I stick with LCC and CM; the Latin Centered Curriculum book, Ambleside and Simply Charlotte Mason are where I start, then I come here for reviews. I also decided to combine my children where possible, and that I can't do too many teacher-intensive things. I don't pursue anything costing more than I want to spend, and I try to account for its full-cost based on the number of children using it.

I guess I ask these questions:

• Is it in line with my philosophy (LCC & CM)? Is it appropriately rigorous, but still allowing for plenty of playing time outdoors (multum non multa)?
  • Is it well reviewed on the WTM boards? Are the mentioned negatives something I can live with?
  • Can I combine my kids? (Applies to books for content subjects, not skill subjects. I want to keep us on the same era for history and area for geography.)
  • If it's teacher intensive, do I need that in this subject for this child? If it's independent, is it doable by this child? Do I already have too many teacher intensive curricula this year? (I'm working on this area atm.)
  • Do I think its worth the cost (for all children who will use it)? Am I able to spend the money? Is there a cheaper option that is also good?
  • Does it fit my teaching style (logical layout, not scripted; an outline, not a box) and whichever child's learning style and abilities (So nothing with to much writing for DS7; something with motor activity / writing / tactile reinforcement for DS8.)?
  • Do I NEED to even do this? (I love to learn, but I can't do it all. And I want the kids to have time to learn on their own, so I have to be careful here. This is where I really struggle, btw.)

Sometimes I will dismiss a curriculum, then come back to it later and change my mind. Some things I really love, but I struggle to fit it into our day.

You can see where I struggle, because I enjoy teaching and learning. I am going to push more independence on my olders so I can spend more time with the youngers this year. The hard part is attaining that balance.

Too much choice paralyzes me in a bad way, so here's what I've done:

Year 1: Follow WTM explicitly. Find WTM boards. Get annoyed at the abbreviation SOTW that turns out to be something new written by SWB--breaks down my whole defense system, lol. Buy SOTW.

Realize I can't stand SWO. Find AVKO. No other changes.

Year 2: Realize Saxon isn't working. Ask boardies. Buy Singapore. No other changes.

Year 3: Decide science the WTM way isn't working for me. Find NOEO. No other changes.

Year 4: Still haven't found LA I like. Boardies suggest MCT. Love it. Begin exploring other LA options, because I'm feeling brave. Discover BW. Hs'ing is solid enough that I can really delve into LA options w/out the paralysis problem (as much)...although I did have to ask boardies to simply tell me what to order. :001_huh::lol:

Hmmm...I've been hs'ing 6 years, so the math isn't coming out, lol. For the last year, I've been worrying about SOTW ending. That has been a doozy, but the choices themselves haven't overwhelmed me...I haven't found anything that I think will work for what I want, lol.

I do hate having to actually read websites. I like when I can just make snap judgments because the research takes so much time & energy.

For the coming year, I have to choose a new foreign language program (& languages, lol), something for preschool, logic...almost everything. Ds has a bit more of Singapore, but I'm already having to think about what next? because I need that whole year to think about it. :lol:

Little bites. One subject at a time. :001_smile:

Before I even think of choosing, I spend time centering myself. I reread favorite inspirational homschool books; I listen to SWB audio lectures; I find a new, inspirational homescool book. All this in an attempt to clarify what my vision of homeschooling is, again. Then I look very critically at what we are doing. What works? What is going smoothly and without protest? What is causing tears and those feeling that I would rather pull my own teeth than teach it?

Armed with this inspiration and insight, I start making plans on a spreadsheet. I have two tabs. One has a weekly schedule, and one has a plan with four columns: name, prices, subject this fulfills, and comment. As my schedule grows, I keep an eye one the width. If there are too many things each week. I make myself cut it down and reduce the subject. I try to picture how I could possibly accomplish all of this. If my total budget starts approaching the national debt, I look for other ways to accomplish the same thing that cost less. I factor in things like how much all of the extra books and supplys are. This year, I am trying hard to avoid that Amazon budget-creep and purchase everything upfront. I am also making sure I plan out all of my extra reading as last year I tried to go more LCC but forgot to account for the fact that my dd is a voracious reader. I use the TOC in my spreadsheet to divide up the work into weeks. I look in my boxes and shelves to see what I already have that could be re-purposed. If I stick in something like Ellen McHenry's chemistry that only lasts 10 weeks, I know I have an other 32 weeks of science to plan. If my history book will only have one page of reading per week when I divide it by 42, I know I won't have enough work. I give preference in the plan for things I am currently using that work and try to not even look at other options in the same topic.

Good luck. Remember that curriculum doesn't teach; teachers teach.

Edited by Karen in CO

So many good things have already been written so I'm going to try to just add without repeating.

One thing I didn't see is looking at blogs. If I'm seriously considering buying a curriculum I have never used before I will look for blogs by people who have used it or are currently using it to get an idea of what kinds of things people who are using that curriculum do and what they have used to supplement.

Another thing is I try to think about how a particular curriculum would affect our homeschooling long term. If I use X this year, what is out there that will build on X next year and 5 years from now (and all the years in between)? Or, if I do Chemistry now, are there things I would like to use for Biology next year, and Physics the year after that, or should I use the Biology program I know I like that works well for this year and wait on Chemistry?

Edited by crstarlette

I do not research all options. This would overwhelm me. I ask trusted and experienced homeschool mom mentors who have BTDT and generally take their advice. This is how I have found the vast majority of our curriculum, and I am very happy with our choices. Once I have chosen, I don't look at other curriculums unless I am thinking of supplementing or unless a curriculum is not working.

I agree with Karen about centering yourself first. I try to formulate as clearly as I can my vision for what I want to accomplish that year and articulate my goals.

Then I go through curriculum subject by subject, starting with the most important (to me) subjects first. I read reviews, imagine how that curriculum would work for us and meet OUR goals, and get a hold of sample lessons when possible (and if I like the curr, USE those samples with the kiddos as a test run). How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

I have a spreadsheet where I put my eventual "this year" curriculum choices as well as columns for "next year" and "alternates" -- my honorable mentions in case my first choice just doesn't pan out. :D I also keep track of all curricula I've evaluated in a line of my spreadsheet) and what I liked and didn't like about each (very briefly, but I don't want to have to ever start from scratch with them!). Also nice when I read a bunch of raves about "curr X" and I'm wondering why I didn't pick it, I cal look in my spreadsheet and go, "Oh yeah, that's why." :D

Then I move on to the next subject. When I am done I let the choices ferment in my mind for a week or two, then look through my choices again. Sometimes that "awesome program" loses it's luster. ;) [ETA: Once i have my preliminary selections, I look at my choices as a whole and ask whether they as a complete package meet our goals and my vision. If so, I'm done. If not, time to iterate.]

My biggest challenge is I see great curricula for older kids and want to do it all NOW. For example, MS science and history programs but my oldest is only 7yo. :lol: I really, really have to fight the urge to *somehow* shoehorn the "awesome 5-8th grade curr" into my early elementary program. <sigh>

Edited by ChandlerMom

Wow, so much good information! Thanks for sharing.

Regena, before posting this question, I was just at your blog looking at Chemistry for logic stage & then browsing your other neat plans. I hadn't thought of using blogs as a curric. research tool though; thanks to whoever mentioned that. Unfortunately, I'm faaaaar away from any conventions and don't have any homeschool stores. There's a homeschool fair that is very small & limited so I'll be there. I have to rely on internet samples & descriptions a lot, so that adds to the frustration.

Amy & Karen (and others), thanks for posting in such detail. It helps to see models of *sane* ways to organize & eliminate choices. I need to get Excel back on my computer. I take notes when researching curric, too, because I stretch the chore out over such a long period of time that I'd forget what I concluded about them if I didn't. Trouble is, I've only recently starting organizing all the notes into one place...

Aubrey, ITA on the snap decisions vs. weeks of research! I get curric. paralysis too, and don't want it to overwhelm my life & my thoughts anymore.

:bigear: I'm not sure if you spun off my panicky thread or are just in the same overwhelmed place I am :lol: I'm getting lots of great advice in both!

Nope, I haven't seen your panicky thread! We must be in the same boat. I've realized that sometimes enough is enough and there must be a better (or at least healthier) way to decide involving less anxiety.

I'm so grateful for this forum. :grouphug:

How do you choose curriculum? Do you look at every option available within certain boundaries particular to you (classical, CM, lit-based, etc.), or do you have another way of narrowing it down? I hate that even after I've researched & compared things as much as I possibly can via the internet, I still can't choose. Do you even research all your options? It feels like such a chore. What is your thought process for choosing? Teach me. I'm listening. :bigear: :D

I have considered that part of my homeshooling adventure as a beginning of self knowing in regards to education. I found out so much about myself and really began to discover what I really thought was important. Years ago, I started out like you in that I began researching curriculum choices. I was really thorough, like Mcconnell, looking at catalogs, going to conventions and homeschool stores, all just to understand what was out there. That beginning did give me a good start. But it also, like you, gave me too many choices and I am the WORST decision maker in the WORLD!! What a dilemma!!

Then I did indeed start researching approaches to homeschooling. I was first attracted to integrated learning via unit studies. I knew that I liked that knowledge wasn't presented as being compartmentalized. But as we began to follow this approach I found it did not fit me. I am too unorganized and not energetic enough. I was also worried about not covering enough ground. Having three kids under six and being pregnant with another helped to convince me of that. Time and energy and money was in too short a supply to gather supplies, plan unit study school days and get everything else done too.

I also found that I was indeed an idealist, liking to shoot for impossible ideals. This revelation began as I was researching the classical method. Yes! I am really motivated to do even difficult things when there is a big payoff. But I had to be convinced of the payoff. It had to be actually working in someone's homeschool. This is when I joined an online group that discussed classical homeschooling.

Aha! Things started clicking. Through the discussions in that online group, I received the practical helps I needed to actually do this approach in our homeschool. There were topics about curriculum, about educational philosophy, about books, about problems.....

So do you see yourself as I have, on a journey of self-discovery? Maybe, whether you do or you don't, your next step is to decide what is important. What do you want your children to learn and how is that best accomplished? Which approach will help to motivate you to do even the hard stuff about homeschooling? Answering these questions does help to narrow your choices and it helps give direction to your school.

Yeah, so I think your instincts about what is next in your own decision-making process is right.

HTH

ETA: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257193

Have you seen this thread?

Edited by TerriKY

First I get off the boards. Then I take a long hot shower. Then I go clean and do other things till my mind is finally free of the hyper-focusing and can see clearly. When I'm far enough removed, then I know what to do. Sometimes that quiet voice comes in the shower, and sometimes my house gets really clean and a lot of weeds get pulled first. But it never happens while I'm stewing and stressed over it, I guarantee you.

And I have a suggestion for you. When you don't know what to do, DON'T DO IT. Nothing says you *have* to do that subject you can't decide on. Well math is helpful, lol. But history? Can't decide it? Just leave it 3 months and do double doses of science daily. Then you'll be so sick of science you'll be utterly opinionated and be ready to decide your history. Sometimes, really and truly there AREN'T great options for a particular topic for a particular age. And when you wait 9 months your kids are at the next level up and ready to do a different book that you'll like that wouldn't have fit before.

Give yourself a little freedom to be imperfect and make mistakes. Pick what you're sure of, don't do the rest. Less board, more hot showers and chocolate. More long walks to walk off the chocolate. More prayer (or whatever you do) while you're in the fresh air on those long walks to walk off the chocolate. When it's meant to come, it will come.

PRAY! With so many choices out there, you can spend your whole life thinking that there is always something better than what you are using! The way I handle it is to pray, and know that God will lead me in the right direction(and this direction is not necessarily going to be the same direction that others are going and thats ok.). Then once He has revealed His plan to you go with it and don't look back! It's the looking back that always causes problems for me! Make the choice, and stick with it!

How do you choose curriculum? ...What is your thought process for choosing? Teach me. I'm listening. :bigear: :D

I'm in the process of choosing for the first time, so I can't teach. I'll just commiserate and share where we are. After going in circles over a few different options (there's too many to look at all of them, since we aren't tied strictly to one style), I finally had to make a list of the ones I knew weren't right for us as first-timers, or based on our daughter's needs. And I added little notes about why they weren't the right choice for us since I was getting confused as I read so many reviews and threads on forums.

I also have a Google document where I make note of potential plans so I can quickly share them with my husband and get his input. I put the potential negatives down about the choice and how we can work around it. I hyperlink the doc with the threads, reviews, articles, or websites that helped me. And I note where the resource can be bought, too.

Good luck. Remember that curriculum doesn't teach; teachers teach.

I love that! Every time I get overwhelmed I come back to a similar thought from a someone I know who was public, private, and home-schooled. It's not the curriculum or the school that was most important. Someone teaching strictly a curriculum isn't a teacher (this is a comfort to a school teacher friend that is wrestling with a weak curriculum). Intimidating, since it'd be nice if the perfect curriculum would solve our problems but as we know the programs don't do the heavy lifting and that's why we love good teachers. Still, we're thinking very carefully about the choices. We've seen some that clearly don't fit for us, but work for others.

I've probably found most of my choices by first hearing about them on forums with like-minded moms sharing our philosohies. We are mostly Charlotte Mason educators---so I'm on an Ambleside and Simply Charlotte Mason forum where moms share lost of ideas. I also hang out here for ideas, because I throw in some WTM-type programs. I search the forums, ask questions, and then research that curriculum's website and do a web search for reviews (sometimes).

Thanks for this!

And thanks to everyone for asking and answering this. I am floundering around right now, trying to hammer out a good mix of curriculum for next year. What I know is we need more than we had this year.

i have a certain budget to stay within, so that eliminates many options. i want to combine my kids for the bulk of their subjects next year, so again, that narrows down my options. next school year i also want to switch to a whole curriculum, as opposed to piecing it all together myself subject by subject. i also knew i wanted that curriculum to incorporate living books for science and history. i wanted a curriculum that wasn't totally time consuming & involved very little teacher prep. i was looking for something that was preferably christian. lastly, i wanted something where i could still choose our own math & LA programs without hindering the flow of the curriculum. after narrowing all of that down, i decided on heart of dakota finally. i won't really know whether or not it's a "fit" until we try it of course, but it fits all of my criteria. that's how i narrowed it down.

Edited by mytwomonkeys

One thing I didn't see is looking at blogs. If I'm seriously considering buying a curriculum I have never used before I will look for blogs by people who have used it or are currently using it to get an idea of what kinds of things people who are using that curriculum do and what they have used to supplement.

:iagree: i also join the yahoo groups for whatever i'm considering. i learn a lot there.

• 2 weeks later...
First I get off the boards. Then I take a long hot shower. Then I go clean and do other things till my mind is finally free of the hyper-focusing and can see clearly. When I'm far enough removed, then I know what to do. Sometimes that quiet voice comes in the shower, and sometimes my house gets really clean and a lot of weeds get pulled first. But it never happens while I'm stewing and stressed over it, I guarantee you.

And I have a suggestion for you. When you don't know what to do, DON'T DO IT. Nothing says you *have* to do that subject you can't decide on. Well math is helpful, lol. But history? Can't decide it? Just leave it 3 months and do double doses of science daily. Then you'll be so sick of science you'll be utterly opinionated and be ready to decide your history. Sometimes, really and truly there AREN'T great options for a particular topic for a particular age. And when you wait 9 months your kids are at the next level up and ready to do a different book that you'll like that wouldn't have fit before.

Give yourself a little freedom to be imperfect and make mistakes. Pick what you're sure of, don't do the rest. Less board, more hot showers and chocolate. More long walks to walk off the chocolate. More prayer (or whatever you do) while you're in the fresh air on those long walks to walk off the chocolate. When it's meant to come, it will come.

OhE, you are so wise. LOL, I think you've told me some of those very things before. This is what I'd been doing, but I got afraid that with no systematic way to sort through all the choices I'd never decide on any of it. For some reason I never thought of just waiting until I'm more sure of something. That is truly a gem of great advice. We're not even done w/ this year's curric. yet, so it's not like there's an actual need for new curric. before fall.

You're right, when I step away from it all, things become clearer. I wish I had started taking notes while doing curric. research years ago; oh well. Sometimes I come back to a curric. and can't remember what it was I liked, disliked, or heard about it. Thanks for the help & sage advice, as always.

Mind if I quote you in my siggy?