Menu

Great News! Bad news.

Good news first. We moved to Eastern Idaho last month for a job offer working for a friends company. We were hesitant to take the job because it was working for friends but in the end we were more excited to end our long unemployment. We relocated and dh started working a few days after the move. Within 2 days dh was coming home with weird stories to tell about our friend, we'll call him Chad. Chads wife started calling everyday ranting and raving about his lack of work ethic, bad attitude, and nit picking every movement. Dh would come home and relay all the info he was hearing all day. Things got a little weird.

Eight days after dh began things hit the fan. It ended with me saying "Do you want us to buy the business from you. I am very concerned about our job security and we need this job. Would you be interested in selling it?"

So exactly 16 days after begining employment we purchased the business and now own the company! :D Woo Hoo! The business is very well established (30yrs in the community), has a large active client list, and makes very decent money. Plus the terms of the purchase are fantastic including no interest payments. :) We are so pleased with the turn of events.

Now the bad news. The house we rented stinks. Literally stinks. Everytime we run the dishwasher the house starts smelling like sewage. The drains backup with more than a few cups of water. The kids have been sick with diarreha for 3.5 weeks now. We had the landlord check the water but the results said the water is fine. Today I gave dd1 the first glass of tap water in 2 days and diarreha was back within 6 hours. We found another house to rent but they want 1st, last and security deposit. Needless to say we don't have the kind of cash. So now we are stuck for at least a couple of weeks.

Just thought I would share. :D

wow, what a wild ride! I think I'd be using bottled water for everything..this includes brushing your teeth and washing dishes. or at least boil the water before washing dishes.

hope you can get out soon, and to a great place!

Wow - a lot of changes for you! Hope the business does well.

Anyway, I'd go to only bottled, or if that's too expensive can you fill jugs at a friends house? We cook with our water (so it's boiled) and bath in it, but we run it through a filter before drinking it. We have a Pur filter right now. Culligan didn't find anything wrong with our water on their tests, but drinking water from the tap correlated with both myself and my husband feeling very ill (like your stomach/intestines were in knots).

For a while we had a neighbor that would fill our water bottles from her tap, so that worked great and was free. Might be a short-term option for you. I hope you all feel better.

Last night we woke up to dd throwing up. We are in the process of throwing things into boxes and moving them to a storage shed! :) Life is always full of surprises! Anyway we just don't feel good about staying here another day. We are going to break our lease and find some place else. LOL What a ride indeed!

I think you are doing the right thing. You may be able to get out of the lease legally, b/c of the water. But that could entail more costs in the long run.

May I ask what your business is? Just a curiosity question--no real need to know.

Carpet cleaning. :D Definately not the career path Dh ever intended but it is working out really well. He is a people pleaser and he gets to please everyday this way. :) The business has been in good hands for 30 years (except the brief time our friends owned it) and functions soley on referrals at this point.

I would have the water tested yourself IMHO and not trust the landlord's test results. It sounds like the water may be contaminated with sewage which would cause diarrhea and vomiting possibly. This a violation and you could have city force him to get it fixed.

Do you pay the water bills? The water company may also test it possibly.

Last night we woke up to dd throwing up. We are in the process of throwing things into boxes and moving them to a storage shed! :) Life is always full of surprises! Anyway we just don't feel good about staying here another day. We are going to break our lease and find some place else. LOL What a ride indeed!

I would be out of there as well with that so continuously! I hope your littles feel better soon!

Congrats on the business ownership!

Yuck on the water. Buy bottled or gallons of distilled from now on. You might want to have the kids checked for giardia and other parasites since they have had diarrhea that long. EEK!

We have a septic tank and if the tank gets full, then we know because rain outside will make it smell sewage-ish in the house if we run the washer or dishwasher. Have they, by any chance, drained the septic tank lately?