Menu

Teaching Textbooks

Guest momk2000

Guest momk2000

I have a question about TT. I have been using TT with dd since last year. She is in 4th grade and in TT5. I have read several posts/reviews both here and on other boards about TT being way below grade level, and not enough. Dd loves TT and does very well with it, but now I'm losing confidence in the program and wondering if she's really learning all that she should be.

If I continue with TT, should I supplement with something else? I'm starting to worry, I don't want dd to suddenly find herself falling behind.

I think if your daughter likes the program and is learning from it, then you ought to totally disregard anything that anyone else says.

I don't necessarily agree with this. IF your child is challenged and TT5 is where SHE should be based on her level of knowledge in math, then yes, this is where she should be.

However, if you feel that you are only keeping her in TT5 because "she likes it" or it comes "easy" to her, then in the long run, you MAY be doing her a disservice.

I know nothing about TT, so take this for what it's worth. Your daughter may be just fine, but if you think she could handle something more rigorous, then why not? I would suggest looking at the scope and sequence of TT5 compare to another program similar in nature (is it spiral or mastery?) on a 4th grade level. THAT would hopefully either put your mind at ease or cause you to take action.

Regardless, even IF you need to change, or supplement, she is still young and no long term damage has been done!! :)

I don't understand all the people saying that TT is behind in grade level. Indy is doing TT3 and he has many friends at ps who aren't doing half of what he's doing in 3rd grade. The 4th graders we know aren't even doing long multiplication yet, but he is.

If you feel your daughter is learning from it, I wouldn't worry about it. Indy LOVES TT and has a good time learning. This is important IMO.

FWIW, Sonlight now offers TT as part of their newcomers packages.

We are using TT5 and my daughter GETS it, which is huge. She also LIKES it, which is also huge. It's way less teacher intensive for me, which is great- and I don't care who says what about it being "below grade level"- I recently had an opportunity to see another kid's 5th grade public school math homework and he wasn't doing anything that seemed any more "advanced" than what we are doing.

A lot of people on these boards supplement a lot of things for their own reasons. It doesn't mean you have to or that your program isn't good enough or that your child isn't learning "enough" or any such thing.

TT works for us! If it works for you too, keep doing what you're doing!

ETA: If you would like to see my review of TT, you can read it here:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/124221.html

Edited by NanceXToo

My oldest used TT Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2 as a stand alone program. He placed into trig at the college and is now pulling a strong B in Calc 1. (He just turned 17). TT may or may not have made him a math genius, he very likely is just wired that way, but it definitely does not cause damage.

TT definitely gets the job done a lot better than it gets credit for. I firmly believe a strong foundation is worth so much more than an impressive scope and sequence (especially when publishers add topics so they can sell more books. Their primary market is, after all, the schools). TT stresses quality over quantity. That's a concept I can get on board in every subject.

I switched my 10 year old to TT7 about a year ago. She loved it so much more than Singapore. She got stuck near the end on percents but I know the next levels will give her more practice. She finished TT7 before Christmas and decided to do Life of Fred, not because TT7 was missing anything, but for a change of pace. Plus, she loves the story! She has decided to try school, so for now I have put off buying the next level, but if she decides to stay home next year I have no worry about getting it.

I would love for my youngest to use TT as well. He's a bit of a tough fit, since his math ability is wide-ranging. I tried TT4, but it was too easy so I may try TT5 or 6 with him at some point.

Basically, if it is working for your daughter, stick with it. I think if you switch programs then that's when you end up missing concepts because every program does things a bit differently.

Guest momk2000

Thank you for all the replies. I think I can breathe now!

Sometimes I think some of this might just stem from my own bouts with feelings of inadequacy. Every now and then I go into a little panic knowing the responsibility I am taking on with HSing. :001_huh:

Thank you for all the replies. I think I can breathe now!

Sometimes I think some of this might just stem from my own bouts with feelings of inadequacy. Every now and then I go into a little panic knowing the responsibility I am taking on with HSing. :001_huh:

I think most of us feel that way more often than we care to admit. Recognizing it for what it is, and finding healthier ways of dealing with it could probably save us tons of money. :tongue_smilie:

When I looked carefully at TT3, it seemed like Becca could place about halfway through it now (she's midway through 2nd grade math, not advanced). So I bought 3 and 4 for the fall. We're also going to use CLE 300 along with wherever she places in TT. I'm just going to keep a close eye on her progress.

Guest momk2000
I think most of us feel that way more often than we care to admit. Recognizing it for what it is, and finding healthier ways of dealing with it could probably save us tons of money. :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

We just switched from Singapore 2A to TT3. DS was getting majorly frustrated with the Singapore worksheets. I decided it was time to try something else from the sheer frustation factor. We decided on TT.

DS took the placement test for both TT3 and TT4. He passed the placement test for TT3 easily and barely passed the placement test for TT4. I wasn't sure which one to purchase becuase I felt he was not ready for TT4, he needs more practice on the basics. DH thought we should get TT3 because you can't have too much practice in math. Since he is an engineer with a degree in math also, I went with his suggestion:001_smile:. I am glad we did while TT3 is easy for him and he is flying through the lessons, I can tell his mental math is better and his confidence has improved greatly.

From looking at the lessons TT3 teaches the same thing Singapore 2 does so far, we are on lesson 30. We are using the Singapore workbooks for extra practice so it is a win win for us.

Edited by MomofAJ

Guest eletelephant

We are nearly done with our first year of TT. Last year we were using Math U See, but my daughter was stalling out, I wasn't getting the ideas across to her and it was a lot of drama (and we're talking about 2nd grade, sigh). So TT was a breath of fresh air and she did about 5-10 lessons in 2-3 days. The pace has slowed down now that the lessons are harder, but we're seeing the end of 3rd grade math and have survived long addition, subtraction, multiplication, and long multiplication. <insert>big sigh of relief</insert>

Now with my 2nd grade/7 year old son, he thought his math was boring because it wasn't on the computer so he joined his sister and has nearly completed 3rd grade with her. School comes very easily for him (except for writing a sentence, which is pure torture).

TT has given us something that works and is probably the one thing that has gone right for us all year. :) The kids will finish a little early and I'm thinking, why not start TT4 and maybe (crossing fingers) get them both done with TT5 by the end of the next school year?

So, if it works, take it and run with it. We also celebrate the end of each disk completed with ice cream. :)

We tried Saxon and then MUS, both great programs, but not the right fit for my dd or for me as the teacher. We switched to TT6 in 5th grade last year and it worked beautifully. Now she is on TT7 and I have to say that Dd is getting it - and she is right on track with where she should be for her grade level. We do supplement with LOF, but it's only for fun and variety once per week rather than because TT needs more. (A WTM recommendation.)

Please, don't let the opinions of others deter you from what you are doing if what your doing is working and your child is happy. TT is one of the math curriculums recommended by SWB in the updated edition of TWTM. Do you really think she would include something that is not a solid curriculum? Of course not! TT is an excellent option for hs families that need a tutor and/or an interactive, engaging math program with a proven track record.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Just a thought--

If you want to know if a program is adequate for a particular grade level, I wouldn't compare it with what public school kids are doing. While some public school programs may be advanced, the math program at our elementary school is a year behind. We would do better to evaluate the programs by various scope and sequence lists as pp mentioned.

Thanks for this thread. Whether it's advanced or not, I think math is an area you really need to make pleasant in the early years. We've been doing the "best" and you know what? I end up screaming at DS every day. Not exactly how I pictured our homeschool would develop over the years. He's frustrated, he hates math now instead of loving it like he used to. Now I'm looking at this program (and MUS) and thinking this could be "the one" for him. He loves the computer, and this would keep us from butting heads and free me up for my other two kids as well. Plus, I'll have more time and energy to spend on other subjects!!!

Guest eletelephant

Oh, if it helps, I was homeschooled and did Saxon from 4th grade. I loved it until I hit Algebra and then it ate my lunch. The work itself took me 4 hours per lesson and so my mom had me do a 1/2 lesson. I wonder if a different math would've been better for me and got me further, but then again I was a daydreamer and you can't really day dream and get good grades in a subject that takes 100% concentration. :)

Please, don't let the opinions of others deter you from what you are doing if what your doing is working and your child is happy. TT is one of the math curriculums recommended by SWB in the updated edition of TWTM. Do you really think she would include something that is not a solid curriculum? Of course not! TT is an excellent option for hs families that need a tutor and/or an interactive, engaging math program with a proven track record.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I did not realize she recommended this program in the new book! I'm really starting to be interested in it for next year for DS. I realize it isn't SM but I do want to be sure it's or less on grade level (though atm I'm more interested in my son learning things well than the label.)