Menu

What History have you loved?

jennilv2003

Mine have read the Usborne and Kingfisher encyclopedias for years. Human Odyssey by K12 is good, so I have heard. We are using History Odyssey for our Logic program. Of course, the library is a favorite place for history books, as well.

History is also a favorite subject at our house. So far we have loved CHOW and the reprints of Edward Eggleston's books from 1890's, _A First Book in American History_ and _Stories of Great Americans for Little Americans_.

We also love reading historical fiction and biographies from the time periods we are studying.

Don't know if you've done SOTW--I am prereading SOTW 4 right now, and I will say, I can't seem to put it down! I am finding it fascinating. I can't wait to use it with dd and hope I can.

I think one reason may be that I've heard certain history names/places/events a lot and finally it's sticking--like "balkanization")

Do you mean curriculum or books?

You might want to try out some Teaching Company CD or DVD sets. My 3rd and 1st grader are listening to the Ancient Egypt one with me. We question some of the things he says, but he is a good storyteller. I'm very excited about trying out some others with the kids. (They just ended up listening while I was trying a set out and got hooked.)

My oldest has listened to Jim Weiss read SOTW 1-4 many times by now. We use this as a supplement. It's not my personal favorite but he's learning while he's sitting there. The younger just listens along.

I like Guerber's Story of the Greeks and Story of the Romans better than the Famous Men series. I've just found that there is a lot more information in Guerber's texts. (There's a little bit of editorial but you can ignore that.) You can listen to the Famous Men series for free through Librivox. (Some heavily accented readers, though.)

We also like CHOW, as another poster suggested. I love the Genevieve Foster books. The Landmark series and the Sterling Point series are good. There are so many good series and good books out there!

We are loving Time Travelers from Homeschool in the Woods. Right now we're doing Colonial Life, and the kids just can't get enough of it! Clear, concise text, loads of quality printouts/hands-on projects, and I add in read alouds. We're doing it with 4th/2nd graders, and will continue through 5th/3rd.

:iagree:We have all enjoyed these so much. My boys especially liked the Civil War study- very fun. We also like Drive Thru History and the Usborne books.

Do you mean curriculum or books?

We use Biblio plan...it has some really great books in its reading lists from K-2 through 12. We have used it for 4 years. We have always used other literature based curriculum before this one, btw. We have also enjoyed Mystery of History, which you can use along with BP. I have also used the Story of the World but it is geared towards younger children. You also use SOW as a spine with BP.

My son has also enjoyed the G.A. Henty books.

All of my children have enjoyed the historical fiction books from the Christian Heritage series. They are out of print but worth buying used. They start in the Puritian years all the way through WW2.

My advice is would be to get a few guide books such as:

'Books Children Love- A guide to the Best Children's Literature' by Elizabeth Wilson

'Honey for a Child's Heart' by Gladys Hunt

'Books for Boys' by Chris Roe

'Turning Back the Pages of Time - A Guide To American History Through Literature' Compiled by Kathy Keller

I also comb the Veritas Press, Sonlight, Green Leaf Press, Timber Doodle, and CBD catalogs for their reviews of great books.

Best wishes as you homeschool your eager readers. It has been a joy to read living books with my children.

Michele B

Worldwide Academy

Homeschooling since 1998

s 12th

d 9th

d 7th

d 4th