Menu

Help! I'm SO behind and lost!

I need help! I am so lost with where we are with school right now. Right before we started school in August, we found out that dh got a great new job that required us to relocate to a new city about 3 hours away. Things started off great, and then we listed our house in September. We could afford to all move before the house sold, so dh worked during the week at his new job, staying with a friend, and came home every weekend. In the meantime, I was at home with 3 kids. The oldest is in the 3rd grade, the middle was 4 and was left out of school completely, and the youngest was under a year at the time. We had LOTS of showings but no offers, but that required lots of work and time on my part. Slowly things started to slip until we were just doing the basics. Then in February, we were finally able to move and got the house under contract. And basically since then school has been VERY sporadic. I was falling behind before the move and now I have no idea where we are in relation to where we should be. I was dividing all of the school work neatly by week, but I don't even know where we are now. Basically, my notebook and calendar look great til about week 16, then it starts to fall apart.

So what do I do? Just keep going and try to finish as much work as we can? I'm starting to see my friends talking about how they only have 30 or 40 days left and they're planning for next year!:001_huh: We're in a new city, I hardly know any homeschoolers although I know there's a big community here, but that's a whole other subject. Any encouragement or suggestions would be great!

Congratulations on getting moved!

I would just pick up the books and start working where you left off. Do just a couple of pages then move to the next subject. At the end of each day, write down what you actually did (not what you planned to do!).

After a couple of weeks, you should all be back in the swing of things. At that point, you can sit down and do some planning. Personally, I wouldn't push to finish it all. Do a little math and reading over the summer with the 3rd grader if you feel you need to, but I personally wouldn't stress too much.

PLease, I beg of you, give yourself some grace.

Showing the house, choosing another house and moving are *monumental* feats--add homeschooling to all of that and it puts a Supermomma in a corner sniveling.

We had out house on the market for 3 years. The Dh and kids were so sick of 'we have to show the house psychosis' that we almost-within a hairs breath--took it off the market. Then we had a contract on a house, and pulled it then went into battle for 3 months of hell for the house we have now (yes, it was worth every tear).

The stress-I cannot even explain the stress. Divorce level stress.

Please, give yourself, and your family grace. Do the three Rs, over in two to three hours a day, then focus on moving in. When you get settled, then add in once more thing, a little at a time until you're back up to running speed.

Again, give yourself grace. Flipping out isn't going to get the job done. Don't worry about where you *should* be, that will only add more anxiety. Just take the next step. And keep asking yourself, "OK, what's the next step?" A mountain is climbed one step at a time, and an elephant is eaten one bite at a time.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Thanks for that. Yes, it is unbelievably stressful to sell a house. I had no idea what it would be like. I guess I'm just rethinking everything. This year it was a job change and move. Last year it was a baby in the middle of the year. At some point, I can't use "Life happens" as an excuse, right? I'm starting to realize that "LIFE" will always happen in some form! :)

At some point, I can't use "Life happens" as an excuse, right? I'm starting to realize that "LIFE" will always happen in some form! :)

Actually in my book you can!. For us one of the reason we homeschool is so that school can happen around life instead of trying to fit our life around a school schedule. Things will always come in in life and simply doing our best is an incredible lesson to our kids in and of itself. I would just keep going as best you can. And while you may not normally school in the summer if you just plan to do an hour or two every day even through the summer you will probably be more than caught up by the fall.

Take a deep breath! You will be OKAY! We moved THREE times the year my fifth child was born! N.O.T.H.I.N.G. got done that year! My kids were 11, 6, 4, 2 and newborn. I was quite shocked at how fast that year was made up once we were settled. :grouphug:

(And, if this can encourage you FURTHER, that 11 yo is now a college freshman with a 4.0 GPA! Obviously, no longterm damage! :lol: )

Take a deep breath! You will be OKAY! We moved THREE times the year my fifth child was born! N.O.T.H.I.N.G. got done that year! My kids were 11, 6, 4, 2 and newborn. I was quite shocked at how fast that year was made up once we were settled. :grouphug:

(And, if this can encourage you FURTHER, that 11 yo is now a college freshman with a 4.0 GPA! Obviously, no longterm damage! :lol: )

This made my heart stop for a second! I do need to stop stressing. I'm too type A in some respects for my own good.

You've got a lot on your plate right now. I agree with the advice to just focus on the 3 R's for right now. Throw in something else that your child is interested here and there just for fun while you finish out the school year. Your child is in the third grade, anything that got missed will be covered at least 2 more times, if not more, before graduation. Relax!

Do give yourself grace - it sounds like a crazy year! Focus on the basics with your oldest for now. Add to that a little time to read good books together with both of your older kids. The benefits of reading with them are so great, and it's an easy thing that doesn't require much planning!