Menu

Cursive and fine motor difficulty?

My ds has fine motor issues. Writing is quite difficult and it's no where near "neat". I'm wondering for those kids who have a hard time with printing, does starting cursive ease things up at all? I'm trying to figure out if I should try cursive with him or if that's going to just be another frustrating thing.

My ds is currently in the process of being diagnosed with either Asperger's, NLD or both.. we're not sure yet, if that helps at all.

Yes, many/most OTs recommend cursive rather than printing for fine motor problems because it's easier not to have to keep picking the pencil up off the paper, plus letter reversals aren't an issue. My ds with the most fine motor difficulties started cursive in K and did quite well (he's in school). Now both his cursive and his print are neater than mine ;) (don't get too excited; that doesn't say a whole lot :D).

The only downside is the difference in reading cursive letters vs print in books, though that didn't seem to affect my ds at all.

My ds has fine motor issues. Writing is quite difficult and it's no where near "neat". I'm wondering for those kids who have a hard time with printing, does starting cursive ease things up at all? I'm trying to figure out if I should try cursive with him or if that's going to just be another frustrating thing.

My ds is currently in the process of being diagnosed with either Asperger's, NLD or both.. we're not sure yet, if that helps at all.

I agree with Wapiti. Our OT taught my dd cursive.

My son had a terrible time with printing. He was able to do it, but he had to think about the formation of each letter. Partway through 3rd grade or at the beginning of 4th, I began teaching him cursive and it's made all the difference for him. He is in 5th now and he can write almost as fast as he can think in cursive. He still isn't fluent in print. His handwriting isn't beautiful, but it is legible.

Lisa

I would start work from a whiteboard or a chalkboard, it is easier than starting on paper.

That's a really good idea! Thanks! I asked him today if he'd like to start cursive and he got really excited. That's half the battle with introducing something new to him.... anyway. I will take this advice and start with the board. I know he will like that. Thank you!!!

That's a really good idea! Thanks! I asked him today if he'd like to start cursive and he got really excited. That's half the battle with introducing something new to him.... anyway. I will take this advice and start with the board. I know he will like that. Thank you!!!

You're welcome! I learned that the hard way, on my guinea pig. I tried 3 or 4 different cursive programs with my daughter with no success and many tears. I e-mailed Don Potter and he told me to try the chalkboard. (He's a chalkboard guy. I prefer the whiteboard.)

My son got the whiteboard first and he is doing great!!

I do one letter at a time until they can make the letters well, then work on joins and 2 and 3 letter words, then longer words. When they can write anything well on the white board, they get to try paper.

I'm so glad to hear success stories! Rylan has been begging for sheets! (I'm going to use HWT, but I'm making them myself because I have a CD with that font on it). He had NO interest in the white board (which really surprised me) so we'll try the sheets. I'm making them with large lines and not much on a page so he has a better chance of success. If that doesn't work I'll move him to the board. With him I have to run with what he wants to try... otherwise I get NOWHERE real fast! :glare:

Thanks everybody! Hopefully we'll have our own success story soon! :001_smile:

I'm so glad to hear success stories! Rylan has been begging for sheets! (I'm going to use HWT, but I'm making them myself because I have a CD with that font on it). He had NO interest in the white board (which really surprised me) so we'll try the sheets. I'm making them with large lines and not much on a page so he has a better chance of success. If that doesn't work I'll move him to the board. With him I have to run with what he wants to try... otherwise I get NOWHERE real fast! :glare:

Thanks everybody! Hopefully we'll have our own success story soon! :001_smile:

Hi Robyn,

Not to be a downer, but I don't think this will be the same. Part of the success is HOW the book is written with the instructions for how to write each letter. Also, each letter has "one to trace... one to do" which makes is so you are always back to a correct on.... every other letter..

I would really advise you to consider biting the bullet and purchasing the books. I have the font, too... it's just not the same...

Just my thoughts..

:)

Hi Robyn,

Not to be a downer, but I don't think this will be the same. Part of the success is HOW the book is written with the instructions for how to write each letter. Also, each letter has "one to trace... one to do" which makes is so you are always back to a correct on.... every other letter..

I would really advise you to consider biting the bullet and purchasing the books. I have the font, too... it's just not the same...

Just my thoughts..

:)

Well, I have the 2nd cursive book (and my kids have been through the printing) so I've been using the order of letters and how they are formed from the 2nd cursive book. I would use it, but the lines are just too small right now for him.