Menu

A high school reality hit me this weekend CC

My son, age 15/9th grade, is running on the local high school track team. He's a long distance runner, so he'll be on the Cross Country team in the fall. He loves it. He's doing well and really just loves to exercise long distances (he cycles, too).

Anyways, he is mature in his faith and can be trusted in life (just needs the push each day to get his work finished). So, he went to the beach this weekend with friends from track and some of their friends. I totally trust him, but I have to confess, it gave me pause....my son is hanging out with kids I don't really know...it's a first. I had to take deep breaths (truth, but okay) and my stomach rolled simply b/c he's moving on in life...he's no longer all mine, ifkwim.

So, the dramatic pause just hit me...he's kinda grown :tongue_smilie: He isn't once that is generally influenced by peers, so I'm not worried, just coming to terms.

Thanks for the ear...I know ya'll will understand.

BOO HOO...my baby isn't such a baby anymore!

I'll BOOHOO with you. Dd turns 15 today. I feel old, and I'm so sad that things will be changing so much in a few years. I will mourn this time of hanging out with three fun kiddos all day.
boo hoo!

I took my youngest to a college campus day last weekend, when did that happen???
I hear that. I went there last week to get the Dual Enrollment information. How'd we get here so fast!?!

I'll BOOHOO with you. Dd turns 15 today. I feel old, and I'm so sad that things will be changing so much in a few years. I will mourn this time of hanging out with three fun kiddos all day.

My DS turned 15 yesterday too and as a way to celebrate it I posted a baby picture of him on Facebook. That picture actually hurt my heart. Those soft baby checks are now needing a regular going over with a razor. No longer does he need me to help celebrate his special day instead he arranged everything himself...with friends, of course. It is so hard watching them move away.

I understand Tina :grouphug: As my eldest creeps closer to the edge of the nest with each passing day I'm both excited and sad. The other day I was reading a book on Calvin and I came across a quote I think I'm going to frame for my son and make him hang on his dorm wall. :D It's a good reminder for me too:

We are not our own: let not our reason nor our will, therefore, sway our plans and deeds. We are not our own: let us therefore not set it as our goal to seek what is expedient for us according to the flesh. We are not our own: in so far as we can, let us therefore forget ourselves and all that is ours. Conversely, we are God's: let us therefore live for him and die for him. We are God's: let his wisdom and will therefore rule all our actions. We are God's: let all the parts of our life accordingly strive toward him as our only lawful goal.

It's also a great example of an anaphora. Maybe it will help him with writing.

Edited by Karenciavo

Love that Calvin quote Karen. Can I pop and in and share the :crying: and :grouphug: with ya'll? I've been going through this with my dd as well. She's going to be 14 in June and starting high school next year. It hit me suddenly that I only have 4 years left with her before she's out of my hands. That really startled me. When she was little it seemed like we had all the time in the world and now suddenly we're facing the end. My baby is almost all grown up. I blinked and she went from a toddler to a teenager.

It doesn't get easier with each child, either. I have two grown, but now that my 17yo is there it is making me so sad. We are going to a gymnastics meet out of town this weekend and he doesn't want to go. So his dad says, "Why don't you just stay home?" My stomach did a flip. He is almost 18 and has never been anything but trustworthy, but I still don't want to leave him home alone all weekend while I am 6 hours away (his older brother will be available if he needs something). It is my problem and I know he will be fine, but I don't like this growing up stuff.

It doesn't get easier with each child, either. I have two grown, but now that my 17yo is there it is making me so sad. We are going to a gymnastics meet out of town this weekend and he doesn't want to go. So his dad says, "Why don't you just stay home?" My stomach did a flip. He is almost 18 and has never been anything but trustworthy, but I still don't want to leave him home alone all weekend while I am 6 hours away (his older brother will be available if he needs something). It is my problem and I know he will be fine, but I don't like this growing up stuff.
:iagree:

Love that Calvin quote Karen. Can I pop and in and share the :crying: and :grouphug: with ya'll? I've been going through this with my dd as well. She's going to be 14 in June and starting high school next year. It hit me suddenly that I only have 4 years left with her before she's out of my hands. That really startled me. When she was little it seemed like we had all the time in the world and now suddenly we're facing the end. My baby is almost all grown up. I blinked and she went from a toddler to a teenager.
Unfortunately, that 4 years seems to keep getting cut shorter and shorter for me. By choice, we'll put them in cc soon enough....the days are numbered and I want to remember this every day so I'll be nice :)

I understand Tina :grouphug: As my eldest creeps closer to the edge of the nest with each passing day I'm both excited and sad. The other day I was reading a book on Calvin and I came across a quote I think I'm going to frame for my son and make him hang on his dorm wall. :D It's a good reminder for me too:

We are not our own: let not our reason nor our will, therefore, sway our plans and deeds. We are not our own: let us therefore not set it as our goal to seek what is expedient for us according to the flesh. We are not our own: in so far as we can, let us therefore forget ourselves and all that is ours. Conversely, we are God's: let us therefore live for him and die for him. We are God's: let his wisdom and will therefore rule all our actions. We are God's: let all the parts of our life accordingly strive toward him as our only lawful goal.

It's also a great example of an anaphora. Maybe it will help him with writing.

GREAT quote. I'll have to use this one!

This is completely off topic but we have a gymnastics meet this weekend out of town too! Good luck and have fun.

Back on topic - I totally know the feeling on the 'my baby isn't a baby'. My 15 year old is going to Haiti in April. She's going with a medical missions group and will be one of only a few teens. It's mostly adults. But no one else from our family. I know one other adult. It's just such a grown-up thing to do. I'm proud of her and sad all at the same time.

Heather

Love that, Karen.

I understand, Tina. My two 16yo boys arrived back home yesterday after spending a few days skiing in Colorado with a group of teens that they don't normally spend time with. Dh and I knew one of the adults on the trip, and that is why we allowed them to go. It was their first big trip away from our family, and it was a strange feeling for dh and me to have them be gone so far away with the rest of us at home.

Their growing up happens a lot faster than you think it will, doesn't it?