Menu

Anyone in Michigan here?

Guest tosha_e_1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, my dh and I just moved to Hale at the end of February and was wondering if anyone home or after schools in the area. Just learned the there isn't any gifted programs of any kind in the Iosco County area and looking for ideas mainly for afterschooling because I am trying to find a job as a pharmacy technician.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are in Mid Michigan ~ Jackson County

:seeya:

Vickie

Jackson County is not THAT far from where we will live.Do you like living and schooling in MI?

I have other questions if you (or other board-reader) have time to answer. (Pretty please?) We are moving to Michigan this summer and will live somewhere near Ann Arbor since my husband's new job is located there. Any news on classical homeschooling groups? or places to get good academic classes for my highschoolers? Any colleges offer early starts or dual credit programs for highschoolers? Any news about good places to live that are not too expensive? (AA obviously is too expensive.)

Jackson County is not THAT far from where we will live.Do you like living and schooling in MI?

I have other questions if you (or other board-reader) have time to answer. (Pretty please?) We are moving to Michigan this summer and will live somewhere near Ann Arbor since my husband's new job is located there. Any news on classical homeschooling groups? or places to get good academic classes for my highschoolers? Any colleges offer early starts or dual credit programs for highschoolers? Any news about good places to live that are not too expensive? (AA obviously is too expensive.)

Most of the people I know who live near AA live in Ypsilanti. And my sister (who lives in Ypsi) was just telling me that a lot of the AA people she knows who homeschool send their kids to Washtenaw Community College for high school. They start there in 10th grade, do 4 years of CC, and finish with an Associates degree and it's all free. Worth checking into if that's something you're interested in.

• 2 weeks later...
Most of the people I know who live near AA live in Ypsilanti. And my sister (who lives in Ypsi) was just telling me that a lot of the AA people she knows who homeschool send their kids to Washtenaw Community College for high school. They start there in 10th grade, do 4 years of CC, and finish with an Associates degree and it's all free. Worth checking into if that's something you're interested in.

Thank you! We have been considering CC! As far as where we may live, we have been looking at new houses in Ypsi, actually I think it's the Township...still looking. We are also looking in Bellville.

Anyone else?

Hello..

We are from Macomb County. Our son just turned 5, our daughter is 3. I'm brand new to this group. We've been learning all along.. but I haven't selected an organized curriculum or schedule( my daughter has a language disorder, possibly autism..so we go day by day). I am most attracted to the WTM and Waldorf styles.. We spend a LOT of time outdoors, growing, playing, learning... I love this time.. so full of laughter and excitement! Looking forward to getting some great advice and support here..

I'm brand new to this board, and live in Holland, MI. We're actually fairly new to the Holland area (only moved here in 2009), so we are still learning about our options in this area.

Side question: is there anyone here that uses TOG? I'm trying to figure out if it will work for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a long-time lurker, newly posting to WTM. We're in Washtenaw Co, near Ypsi.

TerriKY - just do your due diligence in any Ypsi location. There are some really nice parts, and others that are quite bad. We failed to drive concentric circles around the neighborhood we bought in, and have had some issues from about a block away that we should have been aware of.

Regards,

Carrie

Edited by ivey_family

I live in Monroe County, but we are in A2/Ypsi several times a week.

There is one pretty academic co-op: http://www.washtenawhsc.org. They also have a link on their site that lists other area resources. There are some other less academic co-ops, too.

Like a pp said, many use the program through Washtenaw CC for dual enrollment.

Hi,

I'm a long-time lurker, newly posting to WTM. We're in Washtenaw Co, near Ypsi.

TerriKY - just do your due diligence in any Ypsi location. There are some really nice parts, and others that are quite bad. We failed to drive concentric circles around the neighborhood we bought in, and have had some issues from about a block away that we should have been aware of.

Regards,

Carrie

Thanks, Carrie!

I think the Ypsi neighborhood that we are settling on is a few miles south of I-94. It is a huge neighborhood that is, in turn, surrounded by farmland. It seems pretty insulated. My hubby knows two people that work with him that live there.

I looked at some pics at your blog. What sweet-looking children!

I live in Monroe County, but we are in A2/Ypsi several times a week.

There is one pretty academic co-op: http://www.washtenawhsc.org. They also have a link on their site that lists other area resources. There are some other less academic co-ops, too.

Like a pp said, many use the program through Washtenaw CC for dual enrollment.

Angela,

It looks like the Monroe County line is not that far from the neighborhood that we are now looking into.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the Washtenaw HSC will accept late-comers? Do your kids go there?

Hey, I notice that your WTM name makes it look like you are from OH and yet you live in MI. : ) You must have moved from OH? or you are originally from OH? I think I might change my WTM name when we move from KY. Is that possible?

Your blog is interesting! It looks as though you like and might have used classical approaches for your HS. Do you teach Latin? Have you ever thought about tutoring Latin? No, I don't need a tutor....: )

Angela,

It looks like the Monroe County line is not that far from the neighborhood that we are now looking into.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if the Washtenaw HSC will accept late-comers? Do your kids go there?

Hey, I notice that your WTM name makes it look like you are from OH and yet you live in MI. : ) You must have moved from OH? or you are originally from OH? I think I might change my WTM name when we move from KY. Is that possible?

Your blog is interesting! It looks as though you like and might have used classical approaches for your HS. Do you teach Latin? Have you ever thought about tutoring Latin? No, I don't need a tutor....: )

Yes, I moved a few years ago, but had already been here as "angela in ohio" for many years, so I kept it. I know you can change your name, though, by emailing the mods.

We did HSC this past year, but we aren't returning because it wouldn't fit into our schedule. They did tours and applications already for this coming school year, but I would contact them once you get settled about visiting for the next year.

I've taught Latin a few times for homeschoolers. That's probably my favorite thing to teach, but there's not always much demand. :D

You can't go wrong moving to the Ypsi/A2 area. We are up there so often, I wish we had moved closer to that side of Monroe county.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...