Menu

What do you think of the Above Rubies Magazine?

I hear a LOT of negative things about it and I know there are so extremely negative "links" between it and some Christian beliefs that I don't subscribe to. But I do enjoy reading the articles, most of the time.

I don't believe in "quiverfull" or WOS, etc., so I am careful to not let references to such things get under my skin. I take what I like from it and leave the rest.

I used to love it, now ... don't. I canceled my subscription a couple of years ago. I know it's encouraging to a great many people, but for me, I agree with the thought that it made me feel like I wasn't measuring up. And that there was only one golden standard to which we ought to compare ourselves/our families.

I have stopped reading it. It is just too much about quiverfullness for my taste. One article was about a family was was living on about $18,000 a year and still having as many children as "the Lord provided."

I would have been impressed had I seen a list of their monthly expenditures including housing, food, medical care, etc. -- and seen it all coming out of their own pockets and not someone else's.

I have stopped reading it. It is just too much about quiverfullness for my taste. One article was about a family was was living on about $18,000 a year and still having as many children as "the Lord provided."

I would have been impressed had I seen a list of their monthly expenditures including housing, food, medical care, etc. -- and seen it all coming out of their own pockets and not someone else's.

Well, I'd be careful with that line of thinking. It is quite possible to live decently and contentedly on a pretty small income.

Well, I'd be careful with that line of thinking. It is quite possible to live decently and contentedly on a pretty small income.

Yes, but not everyone can live on that. It was just like so many of the articles, in my opinion, that stressed the number of children as being one of the greatest goals.

Our health insurance premiums alone are $500 a month with an annual $5,000 deductible. The bill for just a doctor visit and blood work on one son and celiac tests on two sons last month were $903.00.

Edited by nestof3

My son just piped up, after reading over my shoulder, that the Above Rubies Magazines are boring.

So, there ya have it!

I used to really like the magazines. Even though I am not of the qf mindset nor a skirts-only kind of gal nor even much of a Sabbath keeper, I was inspired by Nancy Campbell's graciousness, her dedication to create a beautiful peaceful atmosphere in the home. Yet I must confess, I haven't even bothered to read them the last few years they've come to the house. I haven't really examined the why of it, I just haven't read 'em.

I remember them being full of "encouraging" articles, with no real application tips or suggestions. After a couple of them I was looking for the delete button that would take the "fwd: FWD: Fwd: Encouraging article!" away. :tongue_smilie: I am most definitely not a Chicken Soup for the Soul type person, so your mileage may vary. :001_smile:

I like thumbing through them. I never read each and every article, but they are interesting. I'm a conservative Christian but we are not quiverfull (I despise pregnancy too much LOL) and I don't even own a dress or a skirt. I do admire most of the families I read about in there. I don't look at them and think that they are "superior" or "better than me." They inspire me to be better.

I especially like reading the articles by Nancy's daughters because they seem so optimistic and cheerful about the normal routines of parenting and managing a home. I love reading about their kid-raising, garden-planting, healthy-eating, family-loving lifestyle. It's a refreshing perspective from most of the reading available.

Lisa

I especially like reading the articles by Nancy's daughters because they seem so optimistic and cheerful about the normal routines of parenting and managing a home. I love reading about their kid-raising, garden-planting, healthy-eating, family-loving lifestyle. It's a refreshing perspective from most of the reading available.

Lisa

I have to say, I MUCH prefer AR to the other fluffy parenting magazines that seem to be one big advertisement for the coolest, new, expensive gadgets and every product under the sun that prevents you from ever having to actually interact with your child. And the articles are all about helping your child navigate precarious social situations and earn better grades in school. I have much more use for the back-to-nature type articles in AR, in my little country cottage with no phone and oil lamps.

I had one issue that I REALLY liked, so asked for more, and have been at times irritated, and downright upset by them.

The latest issue has an article by a woman who married at 14, (he was 16) and had her first child at 15 so I'm not too impressed with that. Here in OR that would be statutory rape. They seem to be in Georgia...

Also, the focus of all the kids you can have all the time can be pretty discouraging if you aren't in that place as a family. Your families finances & hubbys opinions do make a difference... :D There is no allowance made for different opinions or circumstances. Nancy is quoted as saying "Do you realize that by leaving the home & going out to work you are blaspheming the will of God?"

soo.... I do, and yet I don't like it...

It's frustrating trying to find something that is encouraging without being too ...??dogmatic?? I don't fit in the standard parenting mags, and this is a bit too far the other way most of the time.

If you can read the great articles about contentment, homemaking, and the faithfulness of God, but leave the rest, then they can be pretty helpful.