Menu

Can I see your...

Koerarmoca

Are you wanting to see workbox systems that are strictly by the book or modified workbox systems?

I use "workboxes" but I don't actually use boxes (not enough space) and we use a loop schedule as well so that causes me to label things differently (by subject instead of by number).

We use those huge 2 and a half gallon ziploc bags for our "workboxes." I store them in those plastic milk crates you can buy from office supply stores or Wal-Mart. This system works for us because we school in our kitchen/dining room area so I can just pick up the crate and store it in another room or the closet when we are done with school. Other than that it's pretty much like a normal workbox system we go through the bags in the order they are in the crate.

With the big Ziploc bags I can store books/workbooks/supplies, etc. for that one subject. That was one thing I didn't like about the boxes (nothing totally fit in one of those plastic shoeboxes). We still use the chart and the velcro pictures. I just put the Velcro on the bag and their chart is on the front of their crate.

It works for us and my dd still sees the subjects count down.

I have the sets of plastic drawers (3 per unit - usually in the craft section). They are on a shelf so that my DD can't reach them. DS8 has 9, DS7 has 6.

My best tips:

-Put everything in the workbox that is needed, books, pencils, etc. No hunting for items that way.

-Have at least 1 fun box with a little treat in it. The halloween size candies and hot cocoa vouchers (I just write these on 3x5 cards) work well. Having a game box has also worked well (educational games like the phonics concentration game, math war, etc)

-Consistency. I think one of my issues right now is I haven't required the kids to complete every box. I need to start doing that.

-I made a semi-rotating schedule for the boxes, so Monday might be Latin, then MEP, etc.; while Tuesday might start with spelling. But I didn't have to wake up in the morning and order the boxes. With 4 little kids, that's to much.

-The hardest part is making sure I don't need two of myself. I haven't conquered this yet. I'm thinking this is a good use for those readers I never get around to using, or else perhaps a little chore box where they can choose one task to do.

Overall, it's easier to ask if their boxes are done, rather than try explain what else they have left for the day.

I found this link especially helpful when we made the switch to this kind of system. My son is very strong-willed, and switching to a workbox-type system has helped tremendously. (I have never read the actual workbox book, fyi.) Now, my son chooses which order we go in, and our days are so much smoother. I always pushed for math first thing, and turns out he always picks it last. Funny.

We use a milk-crate (from Walmart) and I have hanging file folders labeled for each subject. He then picks out what he wants. I wanted to do a box-type set-up, but I really didn't want to go spend the money on it. This way was super cheap (I had all the materials), plus it gave us a chance to try it out and if it didn't work, no money lost, iykwim.

HTH!

Okay.. so what's the scoop with work boxes? I just looked at the listed blogs and have an idea but is there some workbox book that started this whole thing? Again, I'm new so I apologize if this has been asked before.... :)

Okay.. so what's the scoop with work boxes? I just looked at the listed blogs and have an idea but is there some workbox book that started this whole thing? Again, I'm new so I apologize if this has been asked before.... :)

Yes, Sue Patrick wrote a book that has popularized the idea. Here's a link. Merry :-)

thanks for the info and blog links. gives me lots to think about.

the bottom line is I am worried about managing my time and having grades so spaced I can't combine much so I need to make time for all 3 and be able to wrangle a toddler too.

I like to think of workboxes as being like a 3-D schedule that organizes all of our school books and supplies for that day.

So first, think about what your kids can do independently while you work one on one with another, or while you are with your toddler. And think about how to structure your toddler's day--can you rotate your older children in 30 minute segments to spend time with your toddler for example?

When I'm trying to implement a new idea or routine, I start slowly. Sometimes what looks like it works on paper doesn't work in reality. So...after you think about how you might structure a schedule, set up a few workboxes and try them out--see how it works. Does the flow work? Do things take as long as you thought? Do your kids know what to do if they finish early? ETc.... Gradually work up to your full load.

I don't do workboxes exactly as laid out in the book. My kids didn't want "fun" drawers to motivate them (we use drawers for our system)--they wanted to finish their stuff and get on to things THEY choose to do. Plus I don't rotate--there are few surprises about our drawers, I even labeled them "math," "science," etc....! It just made it easier for us.

Here's a picture & a dscription of our drawers--I took this before I labeled them I think, the labels are just under the velcro numbers. I should update--it's been 2 years since we started and it's helped the flow of our day so much. HTH some! Merry :-)

I found some great boxes at Family Dollar a few weeks ago. They are plastic magazine bins in all different colors, they were $2/ea. They don't seem to take up nearly as much room as the other bins, because they are tall and skinny.

Oh I will have to check again I have 2 of them and I haven't seen them in ages.

I like to think of workboxes as being like a 3-D schedule that organizes all of our school books and supplies for that day.

:iagree:

My workbox system is not nearly as structured as the Sue Patrick book. We use a cart with plastic drawers -- and I don't even number or label the drawers :eek:

At the beginning of the year I found in the dollar section of Target some cute pads of paper for lists (numbered 1 - 12), but when these run out I'll probably just make my own. I write their individual assignments on the lists and then put the materials in the corresponding drawer. Since each child only has 10 drawers, I usually make #6 on this list be some form of exercise (10 push ups, etc). I always meant to make cute numbers for the drawers, but never got around to it, then realized it was unnecessary. They understood the concept just fine. Besides, if they both end up on a subject where they need my help, I just tell one to find the next drawer that they can do alone. I find this is much better for teaching flexibility to my autistic son.

I love our workbox system, mostly because it keeps things from getting lost or forgotten, and my kids have a better idea the progress they are making.

Thanks for the link for the book. I added it to my library list.

In the meantime, before I read the book, do you guys feel this system works better for older children? At roughly what age can you implement this?

I have a 4 year old, a two year old, and a nine month old. Would this system work with my older two?

Thanks for the link for the book. I added it to my library list.

In the meantime, before I read the book, do you guys feel this system works better for older children? At roughly what age can you implement this?

I have a 4 year old, a two year old, and a nine month old. Would this system work with my older two?

I don't have boxes, but got a trolley like kinder teachers have with divisions for free from a yard sale. I was using that with my 3 year old. It took her a few weeks to get the idea that we take the activity to the desk, do it, then put it back. She wanted to sit next to the trolley. Just as she got into the routine of it, her little brother discovered it so that was the end of it. I guess I'll use it for him next year and get her some "proper" boxes.

So, I'm sure your 4 year old would do just fine if only you can keep the tot out of it. Easier said than done!

Rosie

At what age do you think this becomes too much "help" for the child? In public school, the teachers don't gather all their supplies and organize it for them into boxes? I love this idea bc I'm constantly feeling overwhelmed with "school stuff" being everywhere...but by using these workboxes am I just avoiding teaching my kids to be neat and organized? Right now I do a checklist for each week for each kids (using Homeschool Tracker) and they work through those assignments. We have together subjects and separate subjects..... I'm drawn to the workboxes (especially those stackable drawers) as a way to get everything in it's designated place but I want my kids to be able to learn to be responsible for and organize their own property and work.

At what age do you think this becomes too much "help" for the child? In public school, the teachers don't gather all their supplies and organize it for them into boxes? I love this idea bc I'm constantly feeling overwhelmed with "school stuff" being everywhere...but by using these workboxes am I just avoiding teaching my kids to be neat and organized? Right now I do a checklist for each week for each kids (using Homeschool Tracker) and they work through those assignments. We have together subjects and separate subjects..... I'm drawn to the workboxes (especially those stackable drawers) as a way to get everything in it's designated place but I want my kids to be able to learn to be responsible for and organize their own property and work.

I see what you are saying but if that box is now where things belong then they are being responsible and neat. I think for my kids being responsible to get your box out, completing the assignment and return the assignment and materials back to the bin neatly would be sufficient. My kids are pretty terrible with putting things back where they belong so if I can get them trained in this one area maybe it would improve on other things like replacing the toilet paper when its all gone, or putting the trash bags back under the kitchen sink :lol: and maybe after they master that I can employ them to do some of their own box filling and such.